Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Surf Fishing Saltwater Spinning Rod/Reel suggestions need!

Default Surf Fishing Saltwater Spinning Rod/Reel suggestions need!

Hello everyone can anyone suggest me a surf fishing spinning Rod and Reel combo .I plan on splurging on my upcoming Birthday. My budget is 400$ total. I have been saving up for a while because my old gear just doesn't cut it anymore. My target fish are halibut and perch. I prefer having a rod that is versatile so that I can cast bait or use an LC. Any tips and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

reel: stradic ci4 2500 or 3000, rod: clarus 7'6" med action and you will have $100 left over for line and an lc or 2.

For the surf, there's no need to spend a lot of money much on a spinning reel. The rod is a lot more important when it comes to spinning gear since all spinning reels will cast pretty much the same. Only difference is that nice spinning reels feel smoother and have more bearings to get messed up by the saltwater. If you do want a nicer spinner though, just get a Shimano Saros 2500 (get them all day on ebay for about $100) just to get the water proof drag, and put the left over towards a nicer rod. The rod makes a big difference since the higher end models are significantly more sensitive, balanced, and have superior components.

I'd go for a Phenix Ultra MBX 706MH spinning rod for LC/bait duty since it gives you enough backbone for legals caught on the LC, and will also toss 3/8oz or 1/2oz dropshot weights easily (runs about $260+tax from tacklewarehouse). No need to worry about casting C-rigs since any rod will launch those out far. Fill it up with 10lb line of your choice and you are good to go. Halibut will smack the dropshot and LC on straight 10lb all day, and if you are c-rigging with bait it's really easy to tie on a 6lb leader if you want to be stealthier.

Don't bring a reel that you don't want destroyed in the surf. Even if you rinse it well after, the sand and salt WILL get inside if it gets dunked. If you're not going to take it apart and clean it after each session, get a cheap reel you can throw away.