Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fire Power" S.W.A.T. Launches Major Offensive 9/17/11 - Plus FIVE Bonus Report!

Default "Fire Power" S.W.A.T. Launches Major Offensive 9/17/11 - Plus FIVE Bonus Report!

Came back in town for a business meeting yesterday and managed to squeeze in a session this morning. Been pretty fortunate the past few weeks with a relatively light travel schedule allowing me to hit the water a couple of times. Hooked up with a couple of my S.W.A.T. Brothers for a recon at one of the A.O. that we haven't hit in awhile. As it turned out, it was a good call...

Mission Data.
    Duration: 6:15am - 10:00am
    A.O: Classified
    Conditions: Overcast morning. Incoming tide. Flat 1-2 ft swells in moderate intervals, placid & calm conditions. Water temp. approx. 68 degrees, water clarity excellent, very minimal salad, moderate baitfish presence.
    Techniques: Throwing hard baits & swim baits.

Roll Call:
    Arthur (Wingnut) S.W.A.T.
    Mike (Bones) S.W.A.T.
    Marc (BSP) S.W.A.T.
    Nick (Dad) Guest
    Bill (BamBam) Guest

The bite was so good, I couldn't keep track of everybody's fish count...
    Here's mine:
    (8) Short Halibut, (1) Legal Halibut 26" K.I.A.
    (4) Calico Bass
    (3) Yellow Fin Croaker

Fantastic conditions! The best I've seen in quite a long time at this spot. Flat, clear, warm water with virtually no salad. Stepping into the surf at grey light, we could see baitfish scattering everywhere and predators going AIRBORN. We all spread out and started fan casting like mad...
    Marc was the first to hook up... BIG fish peeling line off his reel. Then BOINK! Gone... bit off. I was on a bendo myself during the chaos...
    I knew that it would be a good day of fishing when my first THREE casts was greeted with sharp bendos. A chunky Calico Bass, a short Halibut and a fat YFC hit the sand for me in less than 10 minutes. I waved the rest of the guys over and told them to start hammering the spot I was casting to... one by one, they yelled "Fish On!" Unbelievable action for the first hour. Fish of multiple species hit the sand and most were shaken off and released in the surf without any pics taken. We couldn't wait to shake off the shorts and getting the lure back out there again.

The best experience that one can have in the surf is the "anticipation" factor... Yes, some of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. The feeling in your stomach that you get during a retrieve when you KNOW that something is going to hammer your offering at any second. So much fun to see the fish follow your lure all the way up to the rod tip, lunges forward with a burst of speed at the last moment and hammer the LC. Some would turn away and shoot back out. You make a quick recast to the same spot and the fish comes back and hit it again and you stick it! Or slow rolling the lure over a trough and just as it passes over the "sweet spot", you are rewarded with a bendo. Doesn't get any better than that. I compare it to topwater fishing for Stripers... what a BLAST!

We had multiple double hook-ups in the surf and I'm not talking about the Surf Perch variety either. Marc & I got two double hook-ups and Mike & Bill got one too. Halibut doubles... good stuff!
    Sessions like this don't come around very often, so we must enjoy and appreciate it whenever we are blessed with the experience.
    I will certainly give thanks at Sunday morning mass tomorrow.

Mike, I know that today's hot action doesn't make up for that Black Sea Bass that you lost IN THE SURF on Friday. But I hope it helps to cool the sting... even if only for a day. Good fishing with you again my friend, I'll see ya next Saturday at Dana's Memorial event.

Marc, we picked right up where we left off didn't we...? hahahahaha
    Thanks for being my "wingman" today, we absolutely slayed them side my side this morning. We had two double Flatties hook-ups, that was fun... I've never experienced going over and under lines in the surf before, lol.
    Good job on acing your midterm exams and I'm looking forward to more fun bantering and laughs the next time we hit the surf.

Nick, you are quite a trooper. You took a nasty tumble on some slippery rocks but carried on like a champ until the pain was too unbearable. Take care of that hand and thank goodness that it wasn't anything more serious... which it could very easily be. Hope to see you back in action very soon sir.

Bill, always nice to have a member of the original Pirate Crew joining us in the surf. Congrats on your first surf caught Halibut... and I'm sure a legal will follow shortly. Thank you for hooking all of us up with some Pelagic gear, that was VERY cool of you bro. Looking forward to hitting the water with you again sometime soon and I'll be in touch.

Have a good one everybody. Here's to a great Fall bite!

Arthur (Wingnut)

You've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing.

Pics, pics and more pics...

My new custom enhanced LC. "Bleeder" Raked Bait Series.
    This was the only LC I threw today... it kicked major 'buts, literally!

Hiking through the jungle in the dark...

Gearing up before the grey light.

We didn't hit the surf until we made sure that Nick was okay after his tumble on the rocks.

1st cast!

2nd cast!

3rd cast!

1st double hook-ups!

26" Legal #20.

Marc's Torpedo Smelt.

One of Mike's short Hali.

Bill's 1st surf caught Halibut!

One of my four Calico Bass.

Another one of my short Flatties.

Another double hook-ups!

Another short... pancakes everywhere.

Goofing off... lol

Young Millionaire... hahahaha

Mike... "Why so serious...?" lol

The Pirates.

Hey, stop staring at my 'But...

Cool shell.

You find the strangest things in the surf.

What the...@#&!?!? Professional overun... Glad I carry a back-up.

I'm back in action with a lefty... all is good again.

Laughter is the best medicine. Good times!

Roll call...

Lunch!

What do guys think about this custom enhanced pattern?
    "Mangled" Raked Bait Series. Might put it in action the next time I hit the surf... stay tuned.

The story of the lucky penny!
    The Iron Chef and I went out to dinner last night. We were taking an after dinner stroll at the Universal City Walk when she picks up a penny on the sidewalk. Handed it to me and said, "Here's for good luck, bring home a Halibut for me tomorrow..."
    I had that penny in the pocket of my waders all morning.
    Food pics updates to follow.

Parting shot.
    My personal bodyguards.

Food update pics... 9/17/11

Steamed Clams, Ribeye Steaks and my favorite... Halibut & Shrimp Shish Kabobs.

Last edited by Wingnut; 10-04-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Title Change... 10/4/11

I am lost for words

And I think the pug on the right is giving me the stink eye..
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 09-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Epic Session!!

Darn WWO grabbed the next slot when I was going to follow up with a landlocked butt pic......Oh well....Next time...LOL

Arthur,

As always my friend your were on fire. You had five fish on the sand before I could even get over to you bro. Your attack plan is always carefully thought out and very effective.
    This was a great morning and overall day. I laughed so much my cheeks started to cramp up dude!
    You are such a goofball and you keep everyone laughing all day long.I for one always enjoy our outings the most because you are hardcore and quite simply LOVE TO FISH. The enemy didn't stand a chance with your new SICK Weapon of Butt destruction!
    There is no flaking or laziness when it comes to fishing side by side with you that's for sure.
    Thanks so much for the Sizzler food fest afterwords....I can barely move still !
    Also thanks for reminding me of that huge Black Sea Bass.....
    I will be haunted by that moment for many years to come

Marc and Nick....
    It was great to see you two and I'll be Damned if you guys didn't show up before the sun came up. What troopers ....but I was thinking about it.....I think the very early morning awakening threw off Nicks Ninja like reactions and that's why he fell....LOL
    Seriously.....Nick....Take care of that hand....Old guys like us don't heal very quiclky!
    Thanks for making the trip out there guys and see ya on the sand soon.

Bam Bam Billy....We go way back and It was awesome to see you put your first surf halibut on the beach. I'm sure there is a big old legal on the near horizon for you bro. Can't wait to get you back out there and on the hunt. The fall bite is starting to swing so let's get er DONE!
    Take care guys and keep it safe.....Tight Lines to all!
    Lt.Bones
    Debriefing complete-------<><

Aww what the heck....A landlocked butt from the 6man Volleyball competition a few months back....

Last edited by bones; 09-17-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Just walked in the door when the text came through.

What a great looking day in the surf Arturo,
    Like I texted you this morning, I didn't see the message till this morning..
    I already had other plans for the day with Sheila... I love my wife!!!
    20 legal flatties is absolutely insane, it's only September and the next spawning is right around the corner.
    I am pretty sure we will see at least 1 or 2 other 30"ers before the year is through..
    I liked the picture of your modified swim stroke...

Nick, I hope your hand heals quickly!

Marc, Glad to hear about your good grades.

Mike, I wish I could have been there but there will be other weekends Bro!!

Bam Bam, It is addicting....BEWARE!!!

Thanks for the great report and pictures,
    Robert
    <><

SWAT never fails to deliver, another epic report.
    Wow, I can only dream of a surf session like that.
    Bones, tell us more about that lost BSB.

Awesome job guys, that session sounds like a blast.
    The water looks frikin insane! You can wade out to your neck without a problem!
    Good stuff. Sucks about the tumble nick, I know exactly where you fell brotha...dont feel bad, I've fallen there atleast twice and I mean HARD. Glad nobody was around But whats even better is that it was nothing serious, well hopefully. Sometimes will a tumble like that, it hurts even more the next day. Take care of it sir.

I'm trying to see if I can get alittle break in the morning, if I can, u better believe I'm going to be here.

Oh and yes Mike, more info on the BSB, from the surf too! that mustve been a sight!

That's an insane surf session there.
    You guys killed it, SWAT rules the surf.
    Hope the injury to Nick's hand isn't serious.

Danng those fish didn't stand a chance against Wingnut's custom LC niiiicceeee. @ Bones i approve of that picture ahhaha. Keep up the amazing reports!
    Last edited by fish4life; 09-18-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Arthur, I couldn't wait to get home and check this post out..........Simply amazing!

When I got your text this morning I was looking at the fish count you reported and that there were five of you on this assault I thought wow! Great day for the SWAT Team then I noticed that the fish count you gave me was just yours!

You guys had what I would say was an epic day on the water Good friends, Good Times and well, way better than Good Fishing. Great job guys!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast