Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil/Lube for Boca Bearings?

Default Oil/Lube for Boca Bearings?

Which oil or lube are using on your ceramic or Boca bearings? I just ordered some Abec 7 orange seals. Looking for some recommendations.

Thanks guys,

you dont need to run oil if you dont want to, unless you want a quiet cast but then you shouldnt have bought ceramics lol. i use oust metoil from smoooothdrags.

I use the TSI 301 on almost all Spool bearings now....

Used to use Oust Met-ol (speed oil).... Its great stuff also... Easy to get at SMoothdrags...

I'll try them dry when I get them. I wonder if anyone has tried that silicone lubricant spray?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    I use the TSI 301 on almost all Spool bearings now....

Used to use Oust Met-ol (speed oil).... Its great stuff also... Easy to get at SMoothdrags...
    TSI 301 looks like some hardcore underground stuff. Do you order it online or get it at a local store? Is it safe to use on ceramics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    I'll try them dry when I get them. I wonder if anyone has tried that silicone lubricant spray?
    yeah i wouldnt use that stuff, ceramic bearings are built for speed and abec 7's have some tight tolerances. You need a very light oil for propper lubrication and to keep the speed up (thats why we buy them). i used mine dry but i fish the salt so i applied a pinhead size drop of oil just to coat the bearings, race, and cage.

TSI 301 looks like some hardcore underground stuff. Do you order it online or get it at a local store? Is it safe to use on ceramics?
    Ceramic is harder then Steel.
    The TSI 301 & 321 are light oils that bond to metal at molecular level (like Oust Met-ol) and stays on much longer then most other oils. (the ceramic doesnt need to be lubed like metal it is not prone to rust & wear).
    TSI 301 has a cleaner solvent in it (20% oil) that makes it very good for cleaning and degreasing Bearings, then leaves a thin layer of quality oil that stays in place for at least a season of use (still being tested in Reels).
    It can be ordered online, google TSI 301.........
    I would recommend some Oil in any bearing (not dry) as water will rust the metal Races & cages very quick, this will stop them, slow them down, make them rough and weaken them rapidly...

http://www.tsi301.com/issynthetic.htm

I buy the 8 oz cans and put it in an old 1 oz Oust Bottle with metal (Syringe type tip) and use it that way.. Also have a small lid that I use to soak bearings in the 301..........

The 8 oz cans have no problem shipping or special requirements..
    Like so many things now days..

Last edited by Nessie Hunter; 09-16-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Nessie and Vanilla Gorilla, thanks for your input guys. I swapped out the bearings and drags yesterday. Put the new Abec 7's and carbontex drags on my Curado 51E. I was surprised to see that my stock drags were already "sticking" just after approx. 5 outings. All I can say is the stock drag washers look like they're made out of cardboard. I tried out the reel today and noticed it was easier to cast with less power. Pitching was a breeze with light plastics. I kind of like the sound of the bearings wizzing on a strong cast. I would recommend the upgrade to anyone who was thinking about doing it. I think it was worth the money.

I wanted to upgrade the bearings on one of my Abu Garcia reels but it has the pin on the spool and I don't have the pin removal tool. Anyone local who wouldn't mind letting me use theirs for 10 secs?

i use a new pair of needlenose pliers, scratching the pin dosnt matter, it has no effect on performance. Just do not bend it lol. Since your using faster bearings i suggest leaving the spool tension knob as loose as you can, not so loose the spool is floating but a 1/4oz bait should drop fast when you take your thumb off the spool, i also only use 1 brake on my 200e7.

I wanted to upgrade the bearings on one of my Abu Garcia reels but it has the pin on the spool and I don't have the pin removal tool. Anyone local who wouldn't mind letting me use theirs for 10 secs?
    Steve, just use a pair of channel lock pliers works great and its real easy.

Here's a video of someone using a pair of channel locks to remove the pin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFt9w3NKB6s
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 09-20-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast