Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Cahuilla trip this saterday.

Fly Fisher, thanks for sharing your pictures with us. Hope you slay them gills and cats on Saturday.

me too :) thanks CCfisherman!!

Fly fisher please give a report! Im thinking of trying to get out there as well just don't know if it will be tomorrow or Saturday night.

I will make sure to give a report for Saturday morning, I will also be heading out Saturday night but will make a report for both the morning and the night.

cool I might see you out there saturday night. I will have a white explorer and I'll most likely bring my 6yr old because for some reason he is good luck and I'm beginning to think he is a better fisherman then me. Last saturday night at cahullia he won first fish caught, biggest fish and most fish.

Let me give you a tour of the fishing spots.

Starting at the Inlet and going clockwise.

At the inlet if the water is Slowly rolling in use a small bobber with a Red and White mini jig under it about 2 feet. Crappie hit em. Don't pull hard or quick or you will rip there lips off. A real limber rod is best. Always best just before they close the lake of course.

The dirt jetty at inlet.
    Fish the Northside. Once again if the water is moving its better. Carolina rig plastic worms and work the jetty edge, then the shallow trench that runs along the jetty out about 30 feet. This will more than likely get you largemouth bass. Striped Bass have been caught there as well so don't be surprised if you get something fast and big. I have seen SB as big as 20 pounds but that was years ago.
    Flatheads also up to 40+ pounds. Best with sunfish for bait.
    The north end of the lake can do well but only did well in a small boat. That part of the lake gets shallow so unless the lake level is up skip that area.

Now over at the eastside.
    This part of the lake across from the dirt jetty theres a blockwalled structure. Trout, Bass and carp can be caught. If the water is coming into the lake there will be a good current between ths shore and the dirt jetty. The Trout like it a little bit. You can cast to some of the bottom structure. Well if it was left in place after the water company removed the silt build up a few years ago.

At one time there were over 1500 tires laid on the bottom of the lake, along with hundreds of concrete blocks stacked in piles llike fish condos. The tires were chained together and large holes cut into them so they don't float. Most are just out of casting range but produced habitat for small fish to live.

Now out on the concrete jetty.
    The best place is to cast is off the end and aim at the entrance guardhouse. This is one of the best places for catfish using the small type Red earth worms. Put a few on the hook and cast about 30 feet out. The lake has a Hump in the bottom of it running from the outlet to the end of where the canal ends just past the inlet. That Hump is a underground pipe line so the water co. can transfer water through to the farmers without it going into the lake.
    Between that hump running left and right, and the eastside shoreline is the deepest section of the lake. It may only be 3 to 4 feet deeper but this is where you will find the Trout in the winter when stocked.

Corners.
    One spot I liked to fish was the corners of the concrete jetty. On each side. Mostly the northside about haft way down the jetty If the conditions are right. Tumbleweeds used to get blown into the corners and the small bait fish would get in there. Great Crappie fishing when right, like this time of year.

Fishing the Bend between the concrete jetty and the Outlet.
    Bait and wait for trout, carp and cats. No need to cast far if the water level is up. The trout cruise the bank steps as structure. Most people cast to far. The best fisherman only just cast out 15 to 20 feet and limit out by 9 am. There is or at least there used to be a Huge earthmover tire along the curve out about 30 feet in line with one of the bathroom structures. Don't ask how it got there!!! Find it and there could be some kitties hanging out in it.
    Tip; Do not lay your rods down on the ground. Be sure they are secured to something. Carp just love to take them They don't go far but when people see there rod shooting away they dive for it and come up all beat up from the shoreline cement. Seen it lots of times. Funny most of the time

Outlet.
    Fish the northside for trout. Southside is ok but only for about 50 feet. Go to far and your on the shallow side of the pipeline that runs down the middle of the lake.

The campground shore.
    Has never been a good producer of fish. Yea now and then you might catch a few fish.

The pumps.
    There are (were) 2 pumps that are located west of the campground down in the water. Catch small sunfish here. Use palm size ones for live bait and then fish off the sandy point west of the pumps around the curve. Toss em out and wait. Used to be a group of tires out there and the cats can be in the 5 to 10 pound range.
    Never fished the beach. Always closed for swimming, but with the pool there I am not sure now.

Good luck

which way out....great pointers some spots I knew some I didn't. Now I'm all exicted to get a line wet. Thanks for the info.

Great info WWO...... thanks for your time typing all that info for us....

Quote Originally Posted by P1M View Post
    which way out....great pointers some spots I knew some I didn't. Now I'm all exicted to get a line wet. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCfisherman View Post
    Great info WWO...... thanks for your time typing all that info for us....

Anytime guys.
    I used to live out there in that damn heat so anytime I can help from here I don't mind.

WWO........That's some detailed info........Did you work for the water district?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast