Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fry Day Perris Marina

Natural Lefty,

The paternoster rig I tie is much lighter and easy to use like drop shotting or vertical fishing. I do not use a three way swivel. Too much weight and too much tackle. I tie a double loop knot leaving about a five inch loop. Then I pass the loop through the hook eye and pull the hook through to hold it onto the loop. Put a light weight at the bottom like a drop shot rig, and you're ready to go. You can go lighter if you tie the double loop knot four times to make sure it's strong enough and cut the loop and tie the hook on there. It does the same as tying a dropper loop and cutting that loop. There is only one problem with the dropper loop. It damages your line which may not matter much with heavy line, but with light line it can make a problem which the quadruple loop knot won't.

Here's a video showing the paternoster rig. Maybe it's a little heavy for bluegill, but it's easy to see with the big line and big hooks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mia2OjRl3w

If you have trouble getting the loop through the eye of your hook you can pass a piece of line through twice making a loop and pull the paternoster loop through the hook eye.

[QUOTE=QB7940;577318]My Dads still getting into the crappie @ Bernasconi, 2.5 - 3lb fish. but also some dinks out of the same hole. I'll be back in December to chase em again. The fish on the bottom of the first pic (small fis) is about the size you'll catch at lake gregory. The smaller fish are actually ABOVE the larger fish right now in the water column. As for the docks, that school of crappie are average sized with a few nice ones mixed in. All you really need year round for crappie is a slip bobber, tube jig and patience. [QUOTE]

Bernasconi is a beach at Perris, right?

Cartman, Bernasconi is the only access point on the south side of the lake.

Your description of the paternoster rig sounds like what I usually do when I fish a hook up a little ways from a weight, only I thought that was called a dropshot rig. Maybe I don't know my rig names very well.

Asianguy, I have the same problem of losing larger fish at the marina. Most of the time I am only using 2 or 4 pound line though. It seems like almost everytime, I hook some big fish but there are so many cables and snags down there, after a few screaming runs, the fish gets tangled in the snags and I can't get it out. That even happened to me at Sail Cove Pier last time with a Bass on 2 pound line.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Cartman, Bernasconi is the only access point on the south side of the lake.

Your description of the paternoster rig sounds like what I usually do when I fish a hook up a little ways from a weight, only I thought that was called a dropshot rig. Maybe I don't know my rig names very well.

Asianguy, I have the same problem of losing larger fish at the marina. Most of the time I am only using 2 or 4 pound line though. It seems like almost everytime, I hook some big fish but there are so many cables and snags down there, after a few screaming runs, the fish gets tangled in the snags and I can't get it out. That even happened to me at Sail Cove Pier last time with a Bass on 2 pound line.
    The dropshot hook is tied directly to the main line. The paternoster is on a hook length that sticks out from the main line.

Okay, I get it now. I use both, but I think I like the paternoster one better. It seems like the fish would have a hard time biting on the hook without running into the line with dropshot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12