Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legg Lake 9/9

Default Legg Lake 9/9

I went out to hit Legg Lake early. Got my line in around 7:00, and caught a keeper bluegill right away. Looked like the start of a great day. Caught 16 fish altogether, including one small bass. I had one line in with corn hoping to catch my carp, but no go. All day I watched that line. I have no idea why I didn't catch one of those carpsters. I saw them splashing around. Seemed like a good spot. Oh well. Anyway, I decided to take in the pole and try a slip bobber so I could hit some of the deeper water. First cast, and the bobber disappeared. I knew it was a big something. First glance, and I figured it must be cat fish. Way too big for a gill. Closer look, and I thought it was a bass. Bummer. Bass I have to put back. Get it up, and OMG it's a crappie! A big beautiful big-mouthed crappie! I start looking around for my net, but it's way over by the "carp" line so I just lift it out. It was the biggest crappie I ever caught. It was the first big carp I ever caught. Weighed in at 10.4 oz and was 10 1/2 inches long. I know that's not big by some peoples' standards, and unfortunately it was the only one I caught, but it was a thrill for me. Such a beautiful fish! I suddenly lost interest in carp and wanted more crappie. I have to go back to Legg and concentrate on catching more crappie! After looking at the photo, it doesn't look all that big anymore, but it sure looked big when I caught it. A lot of meat on those crappie. Gotta catch me some more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crappie 001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	32834

Thats cool,nice crappie,I know alot of people who have caught crappie there including myself,I just can't remember anyone catching more than one or two,and its usually an incidental catch as yours was,in other word the crappie was not the targeted species,theres alot better lakes to hit if you want to target crappie.

DAMN!!! THATS PRETTY GOOD FISHIN. I CANT SEEM TO CATCH ANYTHING AT THE LEGG.
    ONCE I WENT DOWN THERE FRESH OUTTA WORK GOT THERE BY SEVEN FOURTY THREW MY LINE IN AND IT WENT IN EVERY DIRECTION STRONG!! WHEN I TRIED TO SET THE HOOK(STRAIGHT UP AND BACK OVER MY HEAD) NOTHING IT WAS GONE WHATEVER IT WAS. EVER SINCE IM HOOKD ON THE LEGG NICE AND SERENE IN A.M!!!
    BUT ONE OF THESE DAYS IMA GET ME SOMETHIN FROM THAT!!!

Nice Crappie! Those things are few and far in between since the water quality at Legg sucks!

Did you keep anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by FELIPE View Post
    DAMN!!! THATS PRETTY GOOD FISHIN. I CANT SEEM TO CATCH ANYTHING AT THE LEGG.
    ONCE I WENT DOWN THERE FRESH OUTTA WORK GOT THERE BY SEVEN FOURTY THREW MY LINE IN AND IT WENT IN EVERY DIRECTION STRONG!! WHEN I TRIED TO SET THE HOOK(STRAIGHT UP AND BACK OVER MY HEAD) NOTHING IT WAS GONE WHATEVER IT WAS. EVER SINCE IM HOOKD ON THE LEGG NICE AND SERENE IN A.M!!!
    BUT ONE OF THESE DAYS IMA GET ME SOMETHIN FROM THAT!!!
    I'm not a bass fisherman, but I know it is a specialized type of fishing, and of course how you set the hook is important. I have read that a steady pull to get the hook deep into the fish's mouth is better than a jerk. Like I say, I know next to nothing about bass fishing, but I found this little video that shows one way to set the hook. You may find it interesting. I think you need a stiff rod to catch bass...and for other things as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnRALrRSZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Nice Crappie! Those things are few and far in between since the water quality at Legg sucks!

Did you keep anything else?
    I had one keeper bluegill I could fillet. The rest were dinks. I'm sure it was a fluke I caught that crappie. I was using maggots for bait. Actually, the water at Legg isn't so bad. It's not clear by any means, but they ran a weed cleaning boat through the lakes, and I didn't bring up a single plant all day. That's something you can't say about some of our local lakes....LIKE THE PUDD!

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Thats cool,nice crappie,I know alot of people who have caught crappie there including myself,I just can't remember anyone catching more than one or two,and its usually an incidental catch as yours was,in other word the crappie was not the targeted species,theres alot better lakes to hit if you want to target crappie.
    I have kind of half-*** tried for crappie in the past, but now I am energized. What local lakes would you recommend? I have seen basket fulls come out of the Pudd in the spring, but never caught anything but small ones there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I had one keeper bluegill I could fillet. The rest were dinks. I'm sure it was a fluke I caught that crappie. I was using maggots for bait. Actually, the water at Legg isn't so bad. It's not clear by any means, but they ran a weed cleaning boat through the lakes, and I didn't bring up a single plant all day. That's something you can't say about some of our local lakes....LIKE THE PUDD!
    Oh you caught the crappie from that lake? WOW, now I am rather shocked! Yeah that water is A LOT cleaner than in the past at least now one can see most of the shoreline down to the bottom.

way to go on the nice crappie. ive caught a cupple small ones on my fly rod once but i mean little dink crappie.

Nice catch.. There's a couple of big ones in there. Seen some guy pull out a 2 lb. Good ol' legg. Who else what else you'll pull out. Talipia?? I was there on sat. and sun. for the carp. nothing. There's a few big koi in there. Middle lake is dirt brown but no lakeweed. North Lake is getting better, gills are biting good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast