Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: reel line help

Default reel line help

hi all i am new to fishing and i love saltwater fishing i went on a boat for the first time out of newport had a blast, so i bought me a rod and reel from the advice of someone and its the wrong set up ,its a teaca team trolling rod with a shimano tld 25,its in the closet now . i looked and asked and read and so i went and bought a new avet mc mxj reel and a 8ft seeker black steal line rateing 20/25/30 i got the rod at sport chalet for 40% off so im happy, now i am tossing the idea of using braid over mono for increase in line and castability, for going out on catle boats is this acceptible for newbys, i was told that it will lice thru mono lines if u get a fish, i was thinking of 40 or 50 power pro with flouro top shot i just dont want to make enemy;s before i can make freinds lol any help would b appreceiated

id rather have it cut there lines then be in a big *** mess, id use braid whenever possible especialy around the islands/kelp.

Braid backing is the norm now..... Use it.....
    Few yrs ago it was frowned on by many Boats.... Not anymore.....
    Avet is a nice reel. Blk St Seeker is OK.....
    Pre Service the Reel..
    Have a shop do it or do it yourself.
    All reels are under lubed from factory and Saltwater will kill them fast!!!!!!!!!!!
    You will be buying 5 bearings & drag washers in the first year $150 + Service charge.....
    I have that model Seeker and its heavy and bulkier then I would like. But its tough as nails!!

ty verry much for the help

i would go for a phenix/calstar rods not bad for the price
    and as for the reel ...... avet are nice but you have to take care of it.
    shimaino are great very low maintenance but price a bit more tho....