Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some call it irresponsible. What do you think?

Actually Im not jealous at all. That kind of travel for that kind of fish just doesnt appeal to me. I was just making an observation from a conservation point of view. Keep your goldens....Ill keep my DD Largies at DVL and Football Smallies at Havasu...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE IN SOCAL View Post
    I see we have some wildlife biologists on here. Just how loooong is loooong? Could it be that they're about to eat themselves out of a job? Maybe culling out some of the toads is beneficial. Just sayin...unless you're a biologist that has studied that body of water. Jealousy is a nasty emotion.
    Could it be this sentence was remarkably stupid?

WTF! So the guy went on a fishing trip with his son and ate some of the catch, big freaking deal. This is some mob mentality BS. Some bored idiot decided to make an issue out of this guy's post and now look what's happening. This fishing report posted by a nobody out of nowhere is getting publicized all over the internet. I wonder who's doing more damage to this fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    The pack outfit has already had a number of inquiries about going to "that lake with giant Goldens".
    Lucky then for us NPS has a regulated quota and limits the number of people who can enter over that pass and being as that pass is popular for a lot of hikers doing Whitney from the back, that helps keep the number of people down who would be staying up there for an extended length.

You are right...It's not that far and not that hard to get to. One look at the shape of the "Captain" and that's pretty apparent.
    Lol agreed. BTW great views from on top your "Capitan"

The location was given out in very early posts but removed.
    Sad but again quotas help keep numbers very limited. The terrian around this area is rough, rugged and unforgivable terrian which alone limits the amount of people, and those who do not understand this utimately pay a high price.

Question...would you have the same opinion if those were fifteen 5-10lb female bass they were holding and eating each day for 8 days taken out of a small lake?
    Lets keep it in fair comparison first. Most of those look to be averaging 3lbs to 5lbs (4 to 6 years old), far at the end of their life cycle. A bass at 5 - 10lbs is certainly in its prime and could potentially be hurting the population by removing them. If they were 12 - 20lbs bass I wouldnt care, but jealousy would certainly be running through my mind. Also again to stay relevant not all of those were female Goldens.

I realize that you have expressed the desire to beat the US Golden Trout record in lakes near here and hope you do it. I also know that you practice C&R on 99% of your back country fish and would never have a post with pictures like that.
    Thank you, I appreciate that. I spend a tremendous amount of time in and around the high country of Kings Canyon and its surrounding areas. I was hooked ever since I caught my first Golden. The sierras and all its dramatic beauty is what continually draws me back every year though.

Remember, these lakes were last stocked in the 1970s, some lakes maybe even since the 1950s. The fishery has remained healthy for decades. NPS since the 80s have implemented quotas to prevent the destruction of wilderness areas and as the years continue, stock use is being restricted more and more. I actually made plans to do a trip for the first time in this area after reading about a packers report with basically the exact same story from 1969. If you google the lake, you'll probably find the same report.

Im not here advocating what these guys did but I dont see the reason for all the crying by those who are C&R nazis, 99% of whom will never be able to get to the area to actually catch one. The world class goldens that are left are in remote, off the beaten path areas and those areas remain that way for good reason.

Those mountains dont give up their secrets easily!
    Last edited by GotBass?; 09-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Could it be this sentence was remarkably stupid?
    Love it when I'm called names...it means I just won the argument.

Take a valium, SH...the guy ate some fish.

I really dont know...I mean really guys? Really? If you have an issue with people not C&R the you should sign petitions and help the DFG close down and remove these fisheries for all fishermen. I see that this over crying about issues that are not hugely detrimental to the people actually being more detrimental. Think about all the laws that are being created every day to limit you on what you can and can not do. All of these laws are from crying people that believe their kids could never shoot someone in the face. Must be the video games!!! Hey lets go fish off of Laguna beach! Oh wait you cant keep a sand crab there without the man breathing down your neck.... This is the way its going to turn out. More crying means more regulations and less areas to fish. If he was out of line by keeping more than he could eat or killing off fish and leaving them to die then cry all you want but he seems to be in line and I'm fine with that. Follow the rules set, stay in line, and stop forcing your beliefs on people that are following the laws that were created.

Nice fish, beautiful scenery, a trip with your son you (and he) likely will never forget. In other posts I would have seen that called "priceless."
    I replied to a post with pictues on a guy's over-the-top successful trip to Kirman Lake last summer and you thought I had raped his daughter, the vitriol I got for naming that lake. But all but handful of people have forgotten about the pictures in that post and still fewer ever seriously made plans to fish there, and of those 14, 9 never made it past the trail head. And it's a relatively short, flat hike to get to.
    Point being that this post will have no effect whatsoever on backcountry golden trout fishing. There will be dry summers followed by ultra-cold winters that kill far more fish than these two or three guys ever could. Anyone remember Arctic Grayling and what happened to them?
    I would think that the bigger concern here would be the number of poeple going into the back country and the impact of their footprints (and trash, and ash, and #'s 1 and 2), not necessarily catching the fish. I mean, these guys still had to have the talent to get those big, wary fish to bite.
    Last edited by Marley; 09-07-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Anybody that does that work to find Goldens deserves some fresh meat if they want it and it's legal! But if fish were that plentiful I think I would have taken the modest size ones and let the trophy's go, but by the looks of it the modest size fish in this area would be trophy golden's in a lot of fishery's so even if he posted only smaller fish kept some would give him hell for that, best to just keep these story's to yourself and family/friends not worth getting the grief from the Internet just taints the experience.

LOL! The only thing more ferocious than the attacks on good old-fashioned meat pictures are the fiery defenses of good old-fashioned meat pictures.

But unless I'm deaf and dumb in both eyes, I looks like the title of this thread is "Some call it irresponsible. What do you think?" So, I’m not sure I understand the anger at folks who are saying what they think... Remember INTERNET TEARS ARE NOT COOL.

Some of us feel that taking limits every time it's possible is irresponsible. Some of us also feel that it's wrong to kill a fish just for a picture - I'm talking about those awsome "squeeze and release" photos of dirt-caked trout from guys who claim to be "100% C&R"

If you like to kill the maximum, legal amount of fish you possibly can every time you hit the water, that's your business. If you really need to post pics of yourself at the cost of a fish, walk tall. I personally ignore those posts. But if someone is going to ask me what I think about killing fish for fun fun, I'll tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE IN SOCAL View Post
    Love it when I'm called names...it means I just won the argument.

Take a valium, SH...the guy ate some fish.
    I didn't call YOU stupid, I called your sentence stupid..

And I dont need anti-anxiety medication =P

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast