Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Son's Trophy Northern Pike

Default Son's Trophy Northern Pike

We were visiting friends and family in Alberta and were lucky to get away for a fishing trip in western Saskatchewan to a lake called Lac Des Isles. Neither myself or the boy has ever seen a Northern Pike ( called Jack or Jackfish by the locals ). Long story short, I caught about 10-15 fish over 2 days, some of which were 5+ pounds and great eating.

On day 2, my son was the only one who had not caught a nice fish until his epic cast. The classic "Five of Diamonds" lure hit the water and stuck. Darnit, hooked a log or the bottom. After a few moments the log started to swim away. So began a 30 minute battle of patience and skill until this thing pulled up to the boat. After struggling to get it into a net and a few bops on the head, we took the picture. The pike weighed in at 22lbs. after a 20 minute fight on 14# mono. The largest pike my friends ever caught was 9lb, and the largest he had ever seen in a lifetime of fishing was 13lb. Based on the reactions from all the locals at the boat launch, this fish is epic. Possibly the largest jack of the year from that lake.

The fish is currently frozen at the taxidermist in Edmonton. The Taxidermist said a pike that size is indeed rare, and totally worthy to mount.

Interestingly, a new Cabelas just openned in Edmonton and my son's fish is larger than any of the pike mounts in the store.
    I would love to go back anytime. Awsome fishing, no crowds - heck no people and did not loose a single lure! Gotta have a good boat and better mosquito repellent!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA11_060_Trophy1 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	32662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Al_Pike (Medium).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	32663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA11_042 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	32664  

you should have talked to the manager at cabelas and tell him that if they pay for the mount you will let them copy it lol!!!

Thanks for sharing the story with us! What an awesome fish on such a reliable lure!

chummer....great looking fish...nearly as long as your son. That is one he will remember forever...especially after it's mounted.