Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: first timer in the surf at Jalama Beach

Default first timer in the surf at Jalama Beach

this is my introduction and fishin report combo. first and foremost i am extremely grateful for the abundance of information and knowledge that is shared on this site and i will try to contribute my part . so with that being said..........my girlfriend and i were going camping up at jalama beach with some friends so i decided some surf fishing would be needed. i grabed some half ounce weights, number six hooks and some fish crack (hehe i laugh using that term), also brought along some assorted swim baits, cast masters, and yo-zuri's i already had. got there the first day and immediately headed to water with the intention of catching my first surf fish and within 10 minutes that milestone had been reached my girlfriend watches for about an hour until the itch is too much and jumps right next to me. long story short the fishing was excellent, perch were biting so well i didnt fish for anything else the whole time. best fishing was during mid day which is when i would sneak away from my friends to do some fishing. didnt bother measuring them but the fish were a very healthy size. the best part was that the best area to fish was closest to our campsites and that my girl enjoyed fishing.

this was my first in the surf, walleye or shiner?

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/..._4784987_n.jpg

and my fisrt barred perch

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/..._2072815_n.jpg

once we switched to these little guys the fish got bigger

this was the outcome of switch

a very good weekend at jalama

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...2_812202_n.jpg

o yeah, i tried the jalama burger and i'll tell you what the ranger told me

"its a great burger, one of the best you will find. but the people that say its the best in the world, they haven't tried a lot of burgers"

Jay,

Great first report and nice job on some quality perch, and on giving the the GF a fishing lesson and a case of the crabs and she is still smiling !

Welcome aboard and look forward to more of them reports!

Steve

Last edited by webmaster; 08-08-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: deleted malicious smilie

Nice catch congrats

Good work. She's a Keeper.

Also I agree about what you said about the burger. I 'd give it a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale. My guess is if you had to drive somewhere else to get lunch then the burger isn't that bad.

Hello Jay,
    Very nice report indeed.
    The perch, your GF has , is a nice size one.
    I like the picture of the 2 of you next to the water best...
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

Nice report Jay,I've always wanted to fish there, I have a friend who lives in Santa Maria and goes there often,he seems to get the same results,also says the same thing about the burgers,I guess that Ranger hasn't had a burger from 5 Guys burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Jay,

Great first report and nice job on some quality perch, and on giving the the GF a fishing lesson and a case of the crabs and she is still smiling !

Welcome aboard and look forward to more of them reports!

Steve

Agreed. A girl that watches you catching fish and thinks its fun is a keeper...esp if she can bait her own hook!!!!

Welcome from another newb and thanks for the report.

thanks all for the warm welcome, and yes it feels good knowing im bringing her along to fish wherever i go rather than dragging her along.

WTG Jay. Welcome to FNN.
    DR

you didn't mention that i caught that big perch!! The ranger also mentioned that the best fishing was a hour before and after high tide.
    Last edited by kerilynno; 08-29-2011 at 06:41 PM.