Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tired of the Walmart crap....

As for reels, my money is on a Daiwa Sealine or Okuma Catalina.
    For $100 (give or take $20) I think these are great all around reels that will allow you to cast, fly line and bottom fish with ease. My boy Kev has both Saltist and Torium. I find them to be a little on the bulky side. Great reels but a little heavy for me.

Hey! I almost forgot, Baja Fish Gear is having a sale this weekend. :twisted:

In regards to your rod:
    The BWB125 is rated 15-30# but the lure weight is rated for 1-6oz.
    I have found in my journey of rod buys that a rod rated for 1oz and above is IMHO, way too stiff for live bait. (It's not impossible, just very difficult)

A typical surface jig is about 2 1/2 oz to 4oz. Your stick will have enough backbone to throw these jigs. No problem.

A typical anchovy is about 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Yes, you can load up with a 1oz slider but this will affect the swim of the bait. The lead will pull it down. With bait this light, you won't be able to toss the bait out as well.

You should see my closet!! I have rods from my "broke" days that probably saw 3 trips before I started understanding that sometimes you just need to spend a little (not a lot) more money and get "good" gear. There is no reason you "have to" get a Seeker or Calstar (or my favorite Kencor). But down the line you may want to consider them as options. A bunch of okay rods adds up to 1 really good rod (that you'll use for a long time) really quickly!

FJ74

Thanks funjunkie..... appreciate it ...

I'm just gonna go with what I got right now and just pick up a penn jigmaster. Eventually I'll go ahead and spend so money and get some high end stuff.....

No Prob!
    Are you gonna check out the Baja Fish Gear sale this weekend??
    It's in Lomita (near Torrance) which isn't that bad a drive from Lakewood.
    I'm driving from Irvine to be there!!

FJ74 :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by Funjunkie74
    No Prob!
    Are you gonna check out the Baja Fish Gear sale this weekend??
    It's in Lomita (near Torrance) which isn't that bad a drive from Lakewood.
    I'm driving from Irvine to be there!!

FJ74 :twisted:
    you push baja fish gear more than TM pushes Irvine...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad
    you push baja fish gear more than TM pushes Irvine...lol
    Especially when there's a sale!! :twisted: We like deals!! Don't like seals!!

Um, prolly not, I got a busy weekend with the fam bam, but I'm sure they'll have more sales .....

gotta convince the wife to let me purchase the jigmaster :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12