Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Fresh & Salt Mission 8/12, 8/13 - Plus FOUR Bonus Reports!

Default S.W.A.T. Fresh & Salt Mission 8/12, 8/13 - Plus FOUR Bonus Reports!

Got back into town pretty late Thursday night and wanted to do a early Friday morning surf session somewhere... Haven't fished in a couple of weeks and my work project have been pretty hectic. Fishing is my therapy, my release.

Sent out a couple of texts, no response... everybody fast asleep, lol.
    Decided to hit one of my local spots. S.W.A.T. Code Name "Pea Soup".
    Got there around 5:30am... still dark. Dang, it's getting lighter much later now...

Really nice flat conditions, mostly clear water, minimal salad, water much warmer than it was a couple of weeks ago. The most important thing, BAITFISH! Yes, baitfish dimpling and scattering here and there. There were a bunch of birds chilling on the water in the dark, good sign. As soon as there was enough visible light, the bite turned on while throwing the "Enhanced" American Shad LC. First fish was a 21" short Hali, good start... Then a slew of multi-species catch, let's see, A Queenfish, YFC, Smelt, Calico, BSP and more short Flatties. Nailed a legal Halibut casting to some scattered baitfish. It went 24+ inches and my 18th legal Halibut of the year. Not more than 5 minutes after that, I farmed another legal about the same size.

Started hitting some rocky areas, so I took off the LC and tied on a 5" Big Hammer swim bait. Got a small Calico and then a HUGE hit in the exact same spot where John (Klocked) caught his legal WSB fishing with me a few weeks back. I knew instantly that this was a big fish. It took off fast, straight out as I hung on trying to absorb the energy from the first blistering run. Buttoned down my drag a bit because the fish was trying to head for some kelp patches in the distance. Got it turned and worked it back towards the immediate surf line. Finally caught a glimpse of the fish when I saw its dorsal spines sticking out of the water streaking back and forth. A White Sea Bass at least 30-36 inches long. Worked it towards the same little corner where we trapped John's fish and right before I could lead the head into the crevice of the rocks, the swim bait came unbuttoned. Heartbreak! I sat there for a couple of minutes staring into the water... then started casting again like a madman. Worked the area for another 30 minutes until the fast incoming chased me off the rocks. Fish the beach for a bit longer, got one last YFC and hiked my way out by 9:30am. Man, that lost WSB is gonna haunt me for a week.

Headed North to Lake San Antonio the next morning to fish with Bob (TroutOnly) and my S.W.A.T. buddy Phuong (Blackwater).

Hope everybody had a nice weekend. Jetting out again tomorrow morning, see ya in a couple of weeks.

Arthur (Wingnut)

A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way.

Here are some pics...

Short Flatties, got 5 of them today.

Other species... didn't take pics of all the junk fish.
    Got myself a 6 species morning.

The legal Hali. K.I.A.

WSB territory.

Hey, do you think I got bit...???

Parting shot.
    The kids got themselves a legal Halibut too!

Bonus Freshwater Report!
    Lake San Antonio - Saturday 8/13/11

Got a call a few days ago from my M.I.A. S.W.A.T. buddy Phuong (Blackwater) saying the wife & kid is out of town this weekend and he wants to go fishing! It's about time Phuong, we haven't fished together in over a year. I asked him where he wants to go... Phuong immediately answered, "I want to fish with Bob..."
    A call went out to Uncle Bob (TroutOnly) and we were set to head North to lake San Antonio for some Striper Killing.

Typically, I wouldn't have chose this weekend to fish for Stripers due to the full moon, but it was the only weekend that Phuong can fish so we went for it... whatever happens, happens... it's fishing.

Picked up Phuong at 2:30am and we were off for a three and a half hour drive North. Hit the water by 6:15am and started trolling some swim baits & bucktails jigs while looking for boils.

Spotted some scattered boils early and I was lucky enough to get one to commit to the topwater LC Sammy. The rest of the day, the boils were pretty much nonexistent. We hit just about every section of that lake for a total of five solid Stripers. Not spectacular numbers but quality fish nonetheless.

Good day on the water with good friends... life is good!

Bob, always a pleasure fishing aboard the Striper Phenomenon.
    Been a while and it was good catching up with you and what's been going on in our busy lives. Good to hear that Susan is doing well and keeping you well behaved and under control. Also, keeping up with some of the FNN behind the scene gossip... too funny! You're the BEST... don't ever change, for anybody, or you wouldn't be you.

Phuong, I'm glad that Lauren finally gave you a furlow day to fish buddy. You earned that pass. Thanks for being such good company on the long drive and staying up to converse with me instead of falling asleep. We appreciate you bringing the food and feeding us all day, very cool. Too bad your Striper Playhouse wasn't a sell-out but the show will continue another day.
    Let's not wait another year until we wet a line together again my friend...

Take care everybody, have a great week!

Arthur (Wingnut)

You have not lived a perfect day unless you have done something for someone who will never be able to repay you.

Here are a few pics of our fun day...

Bob (TroutOnly) and Phuong (Blackwater)

Surface boil hook-up! My first topwater Striper of the year.

Solid Lineside.

Same fish.

Same fish.

One of Phuong's fish on the troll.

And another hook-up on the troll.

Teamwork!

Success!

Moving from one end of the lake to the other...

Deer...

Cattle...

Parting shot.
    Sunday night's dinner, made with fresh caught Striper... courtesy of my "Iron Chef".
    Vietnamese noodle recipe called "Canh Chua Cá", which translate into "Sour Fish Soup". Simply delicious!

Bonus reports to follow...
    Last edited by Wingnut; 09-11-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Adding Bonus Report...

Nice, way to go on the 18th good meal.

-Drew

Arthur,

Heck yes I think you got bit! That swimbait is tore up!

I have to agree with you Arthur, fishing is definitely the way I clear my nerves after a long week. There's nothing better than walking a beach throwing a lure in anticipation of a strike or tossing a big bait in anticipation of a big blue making a run.

You had an awesome day My Friend and although you didn't have anyone there with you I was wondering all day how you were doing and there are many of us who thoroughly enjoy your reports and seeing the majic you perform with rod and reel!

Thanks for the heads up report Friday evening. That was all I needed to get my head back in the game. If things go as planned I'll send you a report from the surf at the end of the week.

I'll be in touch soon Buddy.

btw.......looking forward to the San Antonio report!

Arthur, glad to see that you were successful on your short trip home. Excellent report as usual. With all of your skill and dedication another WSB won't be far away. Thanks for the report and pics.

No Doubt You have a nice huge WSB comimg to ya !!!

you catch halibut like some of us catch perch

Amazing

You never have a bad day just kidding but you dont have many

Great, now all i'm going to hear all day at the shop tomorrow is Phuong talking about the trip. Maybe you'll invite me next time Art, been a LONG time since you and i fished with Uncle Bobby.
    Oh yeah, that noodle soup looks sooooo good.

Good report, as usual.

I think we'd all like to see some pics of you holding a Largemouth bass. *nudge*

Morning Arturo,
    Glad to see you got on some quality fish up at Lake San Antonio. When you had called me, at "0" Dark Thirty, I thought you had said Bob was with you. Now I know you said Phuong!
    Good to see him get out and have some bonding time with a friends.
    You were right about the early bite. First 2 catss produced 2 small butts, lost 1, then caught another shorty, then lost 3 more small ones. I wish I was there 1/2 an hour earlier. DARN LANE CLOSURES!!!
    The rest of my Saturday was okay except for the traffic. I actullay spent close to 5 hours of driving in traffic to get around that day.
    I ended up getting a decent sandie, a small butt, and a couple of YFC's at San "O".
    After I finished up there, I went to Carlsbad to check water conditions, still quite a bit of salad in the water but clear to 4 feet down.
    Thanks for the report Brother and I will see you in a couple of weeks.
    Robert
    <><

Man, I miss fishing with Uncle Bob. My turn next time.
    My best day Striper fishing ever was with you and Bob last year at that lake.
    We got 20 Stripers between 8-15 lbs.
    Nice topwater Striper Art, glad you had a nice weekend of fishing in before heading back out. As always, you kick major Butts in the surf.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast