Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow trout fishing with a lure?

Maybe thinking to much into this if i am let me know.
    This kind of thinking is what leads you to be a better angler.
    You realize there is a problem that you think can be solved and you are trying to find the answers for it. You are on the right track. You can never look at the details too much when it comes to landing the fish. You can always improve something to your advantage. Eventually, losing a fish you know you got a solid hookset into becomes rare when you learn to tune everything else.

You can learn to release very well without hardly ever harming the fish.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 08-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.

I always have good luck using a thomas bouyant in red and gold hammered. I use a really light weight set up and you don't really need to set the hook very hard on those soft lipped beauties. A heavier rod you just don't get that sensitive touch and sometimes overdue it. Definatley good advise from others to use the proper gear and handling these fish as gently and little as possible if releasing. Use light line and keep pressure on the fish but don't try and horse them in. Good luck!
    Last edited by 5150fishn; 08-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    It's actually kinda hard IMO to find the right trout rod for crankbaits and artificials. (such as kastmanster and panther martins etc)

I like the berkley 6' tactix spinning rod myself.. it's made for drop shot and finesse fishing but it's one of the best all around 4lb rods I have tried. Works really great for trout and bass fishing light line. The high modulous provides a lovely action to the light tip. $53.... Walmart.

I just built a pretty nice marbled custom rod I intended to be for bass but it had a bit more moderate action than I would have liked and turned out to be a great panther martin and trout crankbait rod. If anyone is interested in purchasing it let me know. Works great.. got a 17" wild on it the other day for dinner using a rapala CD-5. Rod was bent ina U-shape for two minutes making sure it didn't release the tiny hooks on the crankbait.
    That dried mud sure looks familiar. Gate still locked?

Great Info! And thanks on the info on better catch and release. I am going out this weekend and put this stuff to the test. I just hope I get lucky again because it is always a bummer when you fish with a 5 and 6 yr old and when you don't catch anything they always suggest going to sea world.

Default Dude, I know this is an old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    It's the rod and the way you are using it.
    You gotta change something up.
    Usually if you are "pulling hooks" the rod is too stiff or you are muscling in the fish.
    If you are missing hooksets then the rod is not stiff enough or you didn't set hard enough.

A softer rod will help keep the hook in longer. But you may have to slam the hookset harder to compensate.

Kastmasters are heavy too and trout shake a lot. It's easy for them to shake it out.
    You will need the right rod AND you will somewhat have to get them in quickly.

I actually find a firm lift when I get hit on Panther Martins and Crankbaits with the right rod is usually OK. They do have those small hooks that pull easy but you need a light rod and they'll stay right in. You will need to set the hook a bit though, specially if the trout are 14" or larger as they begin to get harder jaws.

I lost a bunch of goldens one trip on panther martins because I couldn't get a good hookset. I had too light of a rod with me.
    With the right rod you will still need to drive the hook in some, but you will notice baits staying planted in lips longer.
    Don't forget to not reel against the drag and keep all your slack out. If you give a lure fish slack, that's the upper hand for them to shake the lure out. Specially with a trout or bass. From the time you get bit to the time you land the fish make sure the rod always has at least a slight bend in it.

But you just answered every exact question that I had regarding why I was losing so many trout in your answer. Nice!:) Only my 2nd year fishing trout, float tubing for them. All the biggest ones that I've hooked into I've lost, up to 6lbs, usually after muscling them, one foot from my tube, yarding them towards the net, now that I see it your way, hehe. Tooooo many I've had them right there, reaching with the net and pulling hard on the rod and the hook just goes "phhht" and pulls free, I mean we were eye to eye. Cracks me up.
    I use a medium rod, spinning reel, rooster tail lure. I think I've been trying a little too hard to get them in, but these trout are insanely jumpy fish. I mean many break water 5+ times before I can get them to my tube...when they don't take it 2 feet from me lol. I've always fished pike, walleye, bass, perch, before. Trout are a whole different beast.
    Anyway, thx for the excellent comment. The most informative I have found in all my trout searching :)
    Sozo.

Won't ever lose them close to your tube if you had some shocking device on your tube like DFG has. Better have rubber waders on or you can be knocked out like the trout.

you will lose the fish because its a trout. they fight, head shake, jump, and get off sometimes no big deal. recast and catch another. ive only used panther martins and ultralights for trout its the only way to go. the ultralight will lose less fish bottom line. its designed for it. but i dont care what anyone says you will still lose fish because of how trout fight. losing fish after they are hooked is part of fishing. and trust me the people who say they dont lose fish their next trips karma will bite them and they will lose fish just for saying they dont. if anything i think the treble hooks are the better way and the thing is with trout lures they are so small and hooks so light you dont have to do hook sets. since you are reeling it in most the time the trout hits unless its a pause, but they will hook themselves so treat it like a circle hook and just reel down on them and not set the hook. you can also change your line to 2-4# mono will help a lot also. if you go after monster trout then i could see using medium and heavier line but really ultralight with 2lb line can catch up to 5lb trout easily. i pinch all my barbs off because i catch and release... usually when i lose fish its not because the barb is missing its because the fish fought hard and earned his release before i got him. and drag is your friend...ultralight is heavily reliant on drag so get used to it and you will be catching a lot more of them in no time. i switched up for 6 months not pinching off barbs lost around the same amount as no barbs.. so ya you will lose fish no matter what sometimes.. good luck. and you dont need some damn shocking device lol.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 06-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.

I think this holds the record for the oldest thread that has gotten brought back up to the forefront.

7 effin years?

This deserves some type of prize.

Maybe ScubaChris can hook it up with some of his sponsor's products.

Hah :) Thanks all. i know it was an old thread, but hey, info that good can bear repeating :) as a newbie to trout fishing, tacklejunkie's post was all the answers I was googling the questions for all tucked up into in one post :)
    Shocking device on my tube! lol thats hilarious, I had no inkling that there was such a thing. I think I'll stay a little more traditional for now but thanks for the idea :)
    Yes, I can see trout are a different beast than the other types of fish I fish for. None of the others are as acrobatic. bass break water sometimes once or twice, but if I was to guess, I wager that I've had a trout on the line that jumped 10 times before I got him to the tube :) So many of them spit the line on a jump. Its impressive.
    Cant say that I enjoy ultralight gear. In the wind.. it can be dicey, but I get it :)
    Thanks all, great advice, nice forum! :)
    Sozo

Wow! It is an old thread, but like it was said, the info replied is still good info. I used to fish for trout a lot years ago with very light tackle (2 lb test) and my main go-to lure was a Mepps silver bladed, white squirrel-tail spinner with a SINGLE hook. I used a tiny black snap swivel to avoid line twist. Trout almost always slam a spinner so no hook set is needed. On a 6 foot ultralight springy rod and very light line with the drag set correctly on a quality spinning reel, that single hook will do very little damage to the mouth of any trout. I even bent down the barb on the hook so I could release them easier. Sure some threw the hook once in a while when they jumped (they always jump!), but that was part of the fun, trying to keep them on the line. I still throw my good old Mepps spinners but not for trout anymore. The toad Bluegill at a couple of our inland lakes seem to really like them too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast