Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Zuma surf

Default Zuma surf

Got out to Zuma about six in the morning. Surf was small, started off throwing rubber-backed sandcrab for nada - I've come to the conclusion that I've tied these way to lightly.

Tied on a SexMachine, caught two perch. Switched over to littel number I tied to look like MORF grubs, had plenty of grabs, but couldn't hang any. Best moment was watching a perch through a face of a wave as it nailed my offering - and spit it out before I could get the slack up.

It's proving to be tricky fishing that five-weight rod in the surf. Perhaps I'll get tired of missing fish and switch to spinning gear, but for now I'm having a blast watching the few I do hook bend that whispy trout rod over double.

Noticed only two corbina.

Saw a lot of comotion just a tad further out. Something was chasing baitfish around and they would occaisonally fling themselves out of the water enmass. Could makerel be chaising these fish? If so, what is a good color to immitate those bait fish?

Found no crab beds, but came across a few spots littered with their tiny, half-eaten exosceletons.

Water was clean. Left around eight-thirty.

Get up, get on up. Get up, get on up, stay on the scene......with the SexMachine Green!

Good looking flies! I bet they'll work on freshwater panfish too!

on my last pier skirmish, the macks were gorging on anchovies.

Every mack i hooked had an anchovy in its stomach, around maybe 3 inches long. I was using fresh mackerel as bait, and every time i used a stomach chovy, it produced a hit seconds after casting. I tried using a few frozen anchovies, but nothing hit those. Its the bonitos causing the uproar. The macks i saw were mostly at the surface, and even those were boiling.