Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First report: Cucamonga Guasti

Default First report: Cucamonga Guasti

Hello all! New to the forum, but have been reading up on a lot of tips on here for a while, but skunked at Pudd a few weeks ago so no report to post. Too many PWC and parties going on, even early in the morning.

So I looked up other lakes and found CG. I've fished Legg Lake, Santa Fe Dam, Hansen Dam and most city lakes in the San Gabriel area and a lot of salt water fishing with the pops when I was younger. It's been maybe 10+ years since I've did any real fishing. The wife and I went to Corona Lake but she didn't like the man made feel and we've struck out plenty at other city lakes. Glad to finally get some real action to show her I can do this

Anyway, so we get there right at 7:30am today and there are 4-5 cars ahead of us, and a couple kids on bikes. We get in and everyone seems to be rushing to the dock on the big lake. I've never caught anything with artificial lures, my dad was big on live baits, so I wanted to just test out my little rapala crank bait on the small lake. Messed around for 10-15 minutes on one pole, and on my 2nd pole I had two hooks + a bobber: one with power bait, one with a gulp night crawler. Both got nothing in the small lake so I moved right over to the first platform. Threw out my crank and wham! A fish jumped out of the water with it but the hook didn't sink. It was tiny. Threw my bobber line in and it was getting a lot of hits, but my wife couldn't sink the hook. I was still playing with my crank bait at this time.

Those little kids on the main dock started landing fish like crazy so I decided to move a bit closer to them but on the opposite side. Changed my crank bait over to some shrimp and threw it in. Both lines getting nothing, watching those kids catch more and more fish Told the wife to run and get some mackerel, set that up about around 9:30ish and got our first bite around 10! Catfish about 14 inches, around 1 lb? My scale was broken so I'm not sure exactly. Pics came out pretty dark unfortunately BUT I decided since we got our keeper, I'll mess with the crank bait again.

First cast, a HUGE hit and miss... 2nd cast I land a big fish! I'm thinking trout maybe? I've read there's no bass in the big lake so I was a bit confused. Reeled it in and it was an even bigger catfish!

It went dead for a little bit, and this little guy hit around 10:30

Blue gill?

Pretty good day. Ended my slump of so many years and caught something on a crank for the first time. Hopefully I can contribute more in the future! I know I'm a noob so if my terminology or fishing etiquette is off just let me know. I won't be offended.

oh and here's a video of us releasing catfish # 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpgnXnbTvs&sns=fb