Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the snakes are out

Default the snakes are out

i'm sure most of you already know, but the snakes are out.

this is the biggest one i've seen this year. it wouldn't let me get close enough for a better pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	32045

Thanks for the warning LL! I got some question :
    1. What kind a snake is this?
    2. What should we do if somebody get bite by this kind of snake at aqueduct while fishing?

Thanks in advance
    Rudy

Definitely a rattlesnake, maybe a young western diamondback or timber. Definitely poisonous. If someone in your party gets bit, call 911 immediately. Just my 2 cents.

It's rattle is sticking up. Keep your eyes and ears open!
    Last edited by Hooked Up; 07-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Well for one thing, don't kill it! Let it be. Two it's a Pacific Black Rattle snake/ Pit viper. Three if bitten don't wait for 911, rush immediately to the hospital and don't forget the snake for anti-venom/identification purposes ( unfortunately by this time you will have to kill the snake, unless you can positively identify the snake ). Had a friend who was bitten by one. Twenty minutes is all it took for him to loose his ability to breath. Luckily he went straight to the hospital and was already bein taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by nelayan View Post
    Thanks for the warning LL! I got some question :
    1. What kind a snake is this?
    2. What should we do if somebody get bite by this kind of snake at aqueduct while fishing?

Thanks in advance
    Rudy
    do what wulfman said. it won't be easy, but try your hardest to keep your heart rate down (like your life depended on it). the slower your heart pumps blood through your body, the slower the venom is dispursed throughout your body. if you're with a buddy, have them drive.
    a call to the hospital to give them a heads up is a good idea too.
    like wulfman said, give it plenty of room & you should be fine. believe me, this thing let me know it was there before i got within 20' of it. that's not always the case (especially with mojave greens), but you definately don't need to go around killing every snake you see. they don't want anything to do with you & will try to get away from you, unless you corner them.....or try to take their picture.....like some jacka$$ i know
    Last edited by Lucky Lager; 07-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked Up View Post
    It's rattle is sticking up. Keep your eyes and ears open!
    yea, rattle was up & sounding off.

one of the best rattles i've seen in a long time. tons of beads. kinda wierd, there seemed to almost too many beads for the size of the snake...unproportionate in a way. but beautiful, none the less

My buddy ran a rattlesake over with his car by accident on the way back from the dam at the wood a couple weeks ago. Looks about the same kind ... It the was the end of the day sun goin down and he must of been warming up his body on the asphalt or tryin to cross the road .. Poor guy i scooped him up and took him home 2 freak out he family..lol

Generally i like to leave the whole snake conversation alone on this forum because people get defensive about it, but Id have to say if bitten rush to the hospital dont wait for ambulance and dont worry about a speeding ticket either, just drive like your life depends on it. Well techinically it does but you get my point. but if the snake is endangering me ima kill the little sucker.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fish-o-haulic View Post
    Generally i like to leave the whole snake conversation alone on this forum because people get defensive about it, but Id have to say if bitten rush to the hospital dont wait for ambulance and dont worry about a speeding ticket either, just drive like your life depends on it. Well techinically it does but you get my point. but if the snake is endangering me ima kill the little sucker.
    How is seeing a snake in the wild make it ever a danger to you? If in your backyard, different subject, in the wild leave it be!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast