Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South of Dana Point 7/24/11 WFO Cuda and more

John,

Eddie & Rich are always great to fish with and willing to take their friends out on their ride for great times on the waters! I have the felling Eddie thinks that I don't like him any more as we have been unable to get our schedules to align of late but, I have spent equal time on the waters with him and family as I have with the SWAT Brotherhood! It is just not the same amount of time that we have shared in the past! I have not been on the "Hesbros" ride since the last time you and I were aboard together out of Dana about 2 years ago.

Congrats on the fine day out there and I know that you guys were not out targeting a young Mako for table fair and did your best to give it a chance that would not happen! It was legal to take home and you all made the right choice!

I could not make the trip as I had to watch over my puppies while the wife was out of town!

Steve

John as you know, you are always welcome. As for you being last choice, there were a few select before you, a few guys that used to have more time to fish?????? You do need to work on your singing as I am becoming used to Robert and the singing all day.....Guess we could turn on the the stereo some day?

You gave a great description of the day......I think it is safe to say we all a blast, it made me smile everytime I looked up towards the bow and would see you hooked up with a big grin on your face.

Talk about luck, that T came within what would have been the last 5-10 mins of fishing. Of course we had to stay longer waiting for "Big" John to get the "LiL" T to the boat.........

One of these days you will get more rest before the trip, since you are always doubling back from SWAT! You better start getting your rest as hooping season will be coming soon and we will be doing marathon trips!

Till next time,
    Eddie

Sweet Thresher Big John.
    What can you do when the thing died...? You enjoy the gift, that's what.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    HOLY SHI!!!!!!!!
    A thresher shark, what a nice suprise when fishing for WSB or YT's.
    It's a beautiful fish and a moment you won't forget John.
    Wish I could have been there with you guys.
    Nice looking fish all around.
    Great report,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. I will be holding singing lessons next week, c-ya there...
    Thanks Robert, it was a blast as always aboard the Hesbros!
    Put on some background music and we'll sing a duet!

Quote Originally Posted by JapanRon View Post
    Hi klocked,

Nice run on the cuda !!

Great report .... thanks,

JapanRon
    Thank you JR

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Hey Eddie... I can Karaoke with the best of them!
    Wow, what fantastic surprise catch. Enjoy the bounty as it was gift from Poseidon.
    Those LC's looked like they been to hell and back, lol
    See ya in a couple of weeks John.
    Thanks Arthur,

those lc's can really take a beating after they've already taken a beating!
    Some new hooks and they'll be ready for more.... cuda!

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Very nice report and pics John. Your report was great read.What a enjoyable day for you guys on the water. I'll take nonstop action and lots of laughs over one of the reports where the guys hunt all day long for the ever so elusive blue fin tuna or the ghosts that have been spotty as well. Sometimes you have to adjust your expectations and attitude to make it a great day on the water and you guys did an awesome job. The slime sticks have been on the chew recently and it looks like some of the migratory sand bass are still around as well. I've been itching to get on some of that constant action myself.....I'm very jealous dude!
    I had my first threasher shark feast last year. We marinated the steaks in soy sauce and brown sugar for 30 minutes and then BBQ'd them.
    They were awesome!
    We actually used the cuda meat for some very good ceviche too....Damn....I'm hungry now LOL
    As I read your report I started to smile and by the end I was grinning from ear to ear. Thanks for sharing your day with Eddie and Rich !
    Now get your feet back on the sand soldier....... The enemy needs to be slayed!
    Talk to ya soon Bro....

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I'm glad you liked the report. I think I'll give your recipe a try next week or so, sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Very cool report,nice pics also,as far as the Thresher goes,I too have caught fish I wished I could have released,but for whatever reason,deep hooked, dead,or not able to revive,I've had to keep if legal,I just make sure they don't go to waste,and there put to good use ie eaten! Even if you try your best,circle hooks, artificial s,ect,your gonna kill a fish now and then,as long as you appreciate the resource and put it to good use,no worries,jmo.
    Thankya TV, I happen to love Thresher shark but dont eat(buy) it very often. None of this shark will have gone to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi View Post
    Perfect eating size thresher. Not too big, not too small.
    Thanks Marzocchi

Quote Originally Posted by KID CREOLE View Post
    klocked,

Don't sweat not being able to release the t shark, you tried and it was hurt, it happens. Great to see releasing the threshers was your intention. There are many people who target and kill these pups as often as they can because it's legal
    Thank you Kid, I did a search on youtube for Threshers, unbelievable what some people do with our resources.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    WTG John/Eddie, nice pics.

Too small to be 'Perfect eating size'
    If you compare the main body (gills to start of tail) to John's arm or the 12" rod holder,
    that puts it at less than 3' of meat.
    But gut hooked, who wouldn't steak it out.
    That's some good eats there.
    DR
    Hmm... only 3' of meat eh? Your Armchair assumptions are way off this time!

Quote Originally Posted by stepchild View Post
    wtg on the great day of fishing and catching....i hear thresher steaks are delish
    Thanks Stepchild!

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    John,

Eddie & Rich are always great to fish with and willing to take their friends out on their ride for great times on the waters! I have the felling Eddie thinks that I don't like him any more as we have been unable to get our schedules to align of late but, I have spent equal time on the waters with him and family as I have with the SWAT Brotherhood! It is just not the same amount of time that we have shared in the past! I have not been on the "Hesbros" ride since the last time you and I were aboard together out of Dana about 2 years ago.

Congrats on the fine day out there and I know that you guys were not out targeting a young Mako for table fair and did your best to give it a chance that would not happen! It was legal to take home and you all made the right choice!

I could not make the trip as I had to watch over my puppies while the wife was out of town!

Steve

Thanks Steve, we missed you out there bro!

Quote Originally Posted by HESBROS View Post
    John as you know, you are always welcome. As for you being last choice, there were a few select before you, a few guys that used to have more time to fish?????? You do need to work on your singing as I am becoming used to Robert and the singing all day.....Guess we could turn on the the stereo some day?

You gave a great description of the day......I think it is safe to say we all a blast, it made me smile everytime I looked up towards the bow and would see you hooked up with a big grin on your face.

Talk about luck, that T came within what would have been the last 5-10 mins of fishing. Of course we had to stay longer waiting for "Big" John to get the "LiL" T to the boat.........

One of these days you will get more rest before the trip, since you are always doubling back from SWAT! You better start getting your rest as hooping season will be coming soon and we will be doing marathon trips!

Till next time,
    Eddie
    Eddie!!, I was just ribbin' ya bro
    That was a blast and I can't wait to go again! Thanks for having me aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    Sweet Thresher Big John.
    What can you do when the thing died...? You enjoy the gift, that's what.
    Thank you Phuong, that T-shark is delicious!
    Last edited by klocked; 08-28-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Way to go. nice thresher!

you cant beat that with a bat!

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Way to go. nice thresher!
    Thanks Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by THROWBACK RANGER View Post
    you cant beat that with a bat!
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by klocked View Post
    Hmm... only 3' of meat eh? Your Armchair assumptions are way off this time!
    I was refering to the area from the gills to the beginning of the tail.
    How long would you estimate the body (meat section) ?

3' body
    1' head/gills
    1' tail (4' upper tail)
    -----------
    = 5' Thresher @ 50 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by klocked View Post
    Your Armchair assumptions are way off this time!
    How much am I off John ?

DR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12