Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAT Certified! Mission Accomplished! The Quest Part SEVEN 9/10/11

Default SWAT Certified! Mission Accomplished! The Quest Part SEVEN 9/10/11

After having the opportunity to share a day in the surf with Arthur and a few of the SWAT Team, Robert, John and Justin in honor of our Friend Fisherman 57 and having a challenge thrown out to me by Arthur to become part of the SWAT Family I made it a personal goal to catch and release a legal halibut. So it has now become a “quest for a legal halibut”.

Early in the week I started to get my gear in order for the first of who knows how many missions to the O.C. beaches to make my goal. The plan was to hit the surf at grey light early Friday morning and work the beach as hard as I could to see if a legal was in the cards for me. My plans changed when I received a text from the SWAT Chief of Staff asking me what my plans were for Thursday or Friday?
    I told Arthur that I was planning to hit the beach lone wolf style Friday morning and told him of the goal I had set to get the invitation into the SWAT Family. Arthur’s replied that he wanted to be there when it happened so we made plans to meet at our rendezvous point before light and hit the beach SWAT style. I have to say that I was excited to get to spend the day in the surf with my Good Friend and I’ve got to admit I was feeling pretty good about my chances now.

Not wanting to disappoint the SWAT Commander I set the alarm for 3:00am, loaded up my gear and headed south. Once I got to the beach I started putting my gear in order, jumped into my waders so I could show Arthur I was serious about this mission. It wasn’t long before Arthur showed up and he too jumped into gear and went over the game plan for the day. And you know what, even after my head start he was still ready to fish before I was!

Almost ready when Arthur arrived…….

Just before heading down to the water Arthur stopped me to tell me he had a little gift for me and pulled this Wingnut customized L.C. out of his pack and told me that this just might be the lure that will do the job……and I have no doubts that my customized “57” L.C. will be the lure that will get the one I’m looking for……

Once we got down to the water the game was on. I know Arthur had just as high of hopes as I did that we’d get the legal halibut but it was quite evident that it wasn’t going to be easy because of all the salad in the water. It was near impossible to get the L.C. back without having to shake off the weeds before the next cast. It was definitely getting a little discouraging but Arthur, the positive thinker that he is, suggested we just keep walking to see if we could find some cleaner surf.
    After a short hike we found an area that looked good and started fishing. It didn’t take long for Arthur to make the first hook up and brought in a short halibut that really got my hopes up but Arthur didn’t seem quite as excited as I was. Ho Hum another shorty……….

A few casts later I was able to make a connection and brought in this small croaker. Yeah baby, I got one!……

We both felt pretty good about getting the skunk off and now realized it was time to get back to fishing. We both made many more casts and we both fought off more salad but we were both able to bring in one more short apiece before packing it up to hit another stretch of South O.C. beach……

We both agreed that we might need to go in search for some cleaner water so we jumped in our cars and headed off for Area-2. This was a stretch of beach that had me a little intimidated our last trip. Not the beach itself but the hike in and out. It may have intimidated me a little last time out but not this time. I was on a mission and I wasn’t going to let a little hiking get in my way.
    Arthur suggested we leave one car at our ending point and take the other to our starting point witch made good sense to me not having to back track to our cars. Arthur told me it wasn’t bad at all. It was about 2.5 miles………….My reply to Arthur was “No Problem”……..my mind was thinking “HELP ME!”

We parked my truck at the end point as planned and I jumped in Arthur’s car to drive down to the start point and we were off. During the hike down to the water It looked pretty good and my hopes were getting pretty high that we were going to get into some fish but as the day wore on it looked like the fishing was going to be a little tough. Although we didn’t have the problems with salad like we did earlier the fish just weren’t interested in what we had to offer. I did however, have the opportunity to get a few tips from Arthur and to get to just stand back and watch the master at work……

This a pretty cool picture…..look at the power behind this cast……

Saw these guys on the way. Looks to me like they were in search of a catch of their own…..slow day for them too

Just because the fish don’t want to cooperate I never let it get me discouraged. It just makes me want to come back even more. The important thing here is that I got to spend a Great day on the water with a Good Friend.

As the day began to wind down I knew that there will be more missions in search of that elusive legal halibut and after the final climb out of the beach I had time to reflect……..and catch my dang breath!

A legal halibut and an invitation to the SWAT Family?……..I’m sure it will happen…..how many missions will it take?

Arthur, I’m glad you and I had the chance to hit the beach like we agreed to a year ago. You have become a Great Friend and it was good to get to talk and do a little reminiscing about past Team 57 events and our Good Friend Dana fisherman 57” Rea. I know you’ll be busy in another endeavor the next few months but I hope that when you do get to hit the water you will enjoy Good Times with Good Friends.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 09-11-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Changing title as requested by Pontoon.

Default It's just a matter of time...

Like I mentioned to you on Friday Terry, I already told the rest of the guys to get ready to welcome another "Brother" to the S.W.A.T. family. We all know, that with your resolve, it's just a matter of time until your achieve your goal. Somewhere out there, is that legal Halibut carrying your golden ticket. I certainly wish that I would be there by your side when that happens, but with all systems go with my business project, I think you will have it all wrapped up before we will fish together again.

The fishing on Friday was dreadfully slow... But that's how it goes and comes with the territory. Everybody who fish with me know of my pet peeve in the surf. Salad! I can deal with just about any adverse condition, high swells, murky water, crappy tide movement, on-shore wind... But a heavy concentration of weeds where it's virtually inpossible to work your lure effectively, is so frustrating. I KNOW that the fish were there, but the LC can only swim for a few yards before getting wrapped up. After about an hour of this nonsense, my patience finally ran out.

I didn't really mind the slow day, it gave us a chance to catch up a little. Telling old stories and sharing new ones. Even getting caught up on a bit of FNN gossip...
    Just like what I used to do with our good friend. Thanks for letting me crash your solo session Terry. I appreciate your support for S.W.A.T., your shinning example of what a perfect family man should be and most of all, I appreciate your frienship.

Now hurry up and get that legal Halibut. You actually need to get TWO. The first, to validate your membership to S.W.A.T., the second, to get you a place on the LC Challenge Leaderboard.

Like I said... it's just a matter of time. Your future S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters are all looking forward to that day. I know that they're also ready and willing to help you get it done. Don't be surprised if you get a few invitations here very soon...

Until we meet again...

I read this quote, and it made me think of you...

What a man accomplishes in a day depends upon the way in which he approaches his tasks. When we accept tough jobs as a challenge...and wade into them with happiness and enthusiasm, miracles can happen. When we do our work with a dynamic conquering spirit, nothing is impossible and we get things done.

Here are some of my pics...

Friday night's dinner... Peppered Grilled Halibut Steaks.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 07-24-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Adding pics...

With your positve and enthusiastic attitude, Pontoon, you'll make the Commander proud when you're an official SWAT inductee...Looking forward to the day and will be happy to share the foam with you in advance.
    By the way, after reading Tess's post, you'll see that Saturday's results weren't exactly 'capital' either....but fun!
    Cheers,
    Sid

Hey Terry,
    The main thing is getting out there, the rest is a bonus...
    You got on some fish, you reminisced and also got a little exercise.
    Nice report, I'll be getting in touch real soon here, to help you get that legal...
    Take Care,
    Robert
    <><

This fortune message will prove to be a prophet Mr. Pontoon. Like Art said, its only a matter of time until you join the elite. Enjoy the ride, most of us aren't so lucky.

Pontoon, with the support of the entire SWAT crew and that hot LC pattern, your legal flattie should be coming real soon. I can't wait to see the report when it happens.

Great read and nice report guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    This a pretty cool picture…..look at the power behind this cast……
    That is a great pic.
    DR

You don't want to be anywhere near that backcast.

Pontoon, I'm going to enjoy following your reports of your quest for the legal Halibut.
    Looking forward to welcoming you to the SWAT family very soon.

Pontoon, its a long season and the game changes everyday.
    Stay on your feet and keep moving, is what they say in Boot Camp.

Good days ahead for all. Will see a legal soon I am sure. Good luck
    Bill

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast