Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/22-7/23 First time at Lake San Antonio - SA Stripey schoolies!

Default 7/22-7/23 First time at Lake San Antonio - SA Stripey schoolies!

Made the 6 hour drive to San Antonio and arrived at 2 on Friday afternoon. That girl at the gate is CUTE!

Saw Trout Only's truck in the parking lot.
    Ran all around the lake metering around to try to see what was going on. Did not find much. Started trolling around what I thought would be good areas. Not a single bite.

Met TO at the ramp and had a good chat. Thanks for the tips!

Next morning was 1st boat in the water. Got slammed trolling the 1st area - a nice San Antonio schoolie of 7 lbs.
    No more action so moved across the lake to the 2nd area and started trolling. About a mile later got slammed hard! Nice drag peeling runs! Netted a 9 pounder - yes!
    Kept moving around to several different areas. Got a few bites and missed the hook set. Landed several small smallmouth bass - they think they are big fish - really gutsy fights.
    Finally around noon trolled over a nice bait ball and 30 seconds later SLAM! Another schoolie of 7 lbs. Ran around until I located the bait ball again and again slammed by another cookie cutter schoolie. This one was followed in by a whole school of other fish - I was tempted to stick the rod in the rod holder to pick up another rod to cast a spoon to them but thought better of it.
    Started recycling spots again and at the exact same spot I got the 9 pounder I got hit again but no hookup. Came around again and just as the lure went over the exact spot WHAM! A nice fight, and a 8.25 lb stripey hits the deck.

Total 5 fish between 7-9 lbs. No giants like I was hoping for but pretty pleased with my first attempt at San Antonio! Thanks for the tips TO Bob!

Gave a couple of fish away - only had 3 to clean.

Saw these when I was driving the boat over to the cleaning station.
    http://vimeo.com/26832131

One thing for sure Gerald... You pay your dues!!!

Congrats and you deserve it

HEY I THINK THOSE WERE ARE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gerald, I'm telling you man. You have become quite the striper sniper. Were you using the port a boat or have you bought another boat since you first started going to DVL? Nice haul and it's always good beating the skunk!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    HEY I THINK THOSE WERE ARE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Yes those were fish and they most definitely are fish. LOL.

Payoff for a long haul, 7 pound schoolies, love it, were u flat line trolling or DRiggers?
    Clicked the link, is it suppose to be a video?

Video was of a group of deer running from the lake after drinking.. We've been up there trolling and have seen big groups of turkey along the banks of the lake. I was so tempted to put some corn on my fly rod and try and catch a few wild turkey for dinner.

Trolling leadcore from my Portabote. It's quite a good little fishing boat. Just wish I could get it to go faster than 10 or 11 mph.

Default That boat

gerald that little boat is so stealth like, its a ninja striper killing machine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,

That little boat has been baptized with striper blood in Rhode Island, Willow Beach, Lake Mead, DVL and now Lake San Antonio! That could not be said of many boats. A lot of that was from my spearfishing days though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast