Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: July 20-21: Californian Fishing an Oregon Volcano for Kokanee!

Default July 20-21: Californian Fishing an Oregon Volcano for Kokanee!

I took a week's trip with Wifey to Oregon to visit family. While there, an old high school buddy, Al, met me and we went to Central Oregon's Paulina Lake, in the Newberry Caldera about 25 miles south of Bend. This is the most beautiful lake I've ever fished! (Check out the photos.)

Al had his 14' pontoon in tow, and I had my coach. I followed Al up the mountain to Little Crater campground and settled in to the most perfect campsite ever! We were right on the lake, and the view was priceless. We spent just one night, but got in two days of kokanee fishing. Our check-out time on Day 2 was 1400, so we got in just some morning fishing on that day.

I don't know anything about the lake, but Al has fished it many times. His choice technique is to jig for kokanee. And jig we did! And trolled some, too. We didn't manage many kokes, just two for our efforts, plus two lost at the boat.

But this wasn't so much about bringing home meat - it was about two old geezers having a grand time in some of God's most beautiful creation!

We're planning a trip to Kokanee Mecca - Flaming Gorge in Utah - in September, and I've got to get a lot better at this kokanee fishing. I reckon summertime fishing the nearby California foothill lakes is the best way to practice. Life is good.

More story and lots of photos on my homepage: www.fishwisher.com

Great post! I clicked on your photo page and WOW! I want to go there now. I have to put that place in my book. Was the camping open, or were there space numbers? Thanks for the post...another want to go place :)

Karen - the campground spaces are numbered and we were very lucky to have found the space available even on Wednesday. I don't believe they have a reservations system. There is a camp host who was very helpful and many other campgrounds nearby. It's all dry camping - no hookups - but there is an RV dump facility nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWisher View Post
    I took a week's trip with Wifey to Oregon to visit family. While there, an old high school buddy, Al, met me and we went to Central Oregon's Paulina Lake, in the Newberry Caldera about 25 miles south of Bend. This is the most beautiful lake I've ever fished! (Check out the photos.)

Al had his 14' pontoon in tow, and I had my coach. I followed Al up the mountain to Little Crater campground and settled in to the most perfect campsite ever! We were right on the lake, and the view was priceless. We spent just one night, but got in two days of kokanee fishing. Our check-out time on Day 2 was 1400, so we got in just some morning fishing on that day.

I don't know anything about the lake, but Al has fished it many times. His choice technique is to jig for kokanee. And jig we did! And trolled some, too. We didn't manage many kokes, just two for our efforts, plus two lost at the boat.

But this wasn't so much about bringing home meat - it was about two old geezers having a grand time in some of God's most beautiful creation!

We're planning a trip to Kokanee Mecca - Flaming Gorge in Utah - in September, and I've got to get a lot better at this kokanee fishing. I reckon summertime fishing the nearby California foothill lakes is the best way to practice. Life is good.

More story and lots of photos on my homepage: www.fishwisher.com
    nice report never got to fish oregon even though i had the chance. but may i ask do you know what an orgon rig is LOL. If you don't wish to tell me on this thread pm LOL HAHA. youll get what i mean if you look up the first castaic lagoon fish thread. BTW Tomfish if you see this please dont be mad at me. LOL ps i dont really want to know.
    Last edited by fish-o-haulic; 07-25-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Great story!I am heading to Donnelly Idaho for a 4 day fishing trip for Kokanee on Wednesday. Great fish to fish for. I have had lots of luck with The Macks lure double whammy. Pink and Purple works real good and green berkey gulp maggots works well. Have had lots of luck. Very excited about this trip!

Reellady

Kokanee is good eatin!! Great post!!

Tightlines