Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an old timer pulling my leg about smoking a fillet this way.

Default Is an old timer pulling my leg about smoking a fillet this way.

I was told by an old co worker that the best way to smoke a fillet is to wrap the fillet in news papers then soak it in water for a couple of hours. Then pull it out of its soak and then build a fire and and stick the wraped up fillet directly on the ambers. then he told me to wait till most of the news paper burns off then the fillet has been smoked. is he pulling my leg or is this true. i dont want to waste a good fillet trying this.

Ever boiled water in a paper cup or cooked an egg in a paper bag....how about cooking corn in the ear after soaking it in saltwater. Fish doesn't require much cooking to begin with and you will find your fillet done just right.

Default UMMMM Could Be!

Don't know for sure but I thought they were all nuts that you can cook a turkey in a brown paper bag too!!!!!!!!

Wow was it good & the juciest I've had. He might be pulling your leg but I guess you'll neveer know till you try it.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out!

I dunno bout using newspaper... at the very least there's the glue and ink and that ink has a lot of **** in it you wouldnt want in your body.

I knew someone who used to cook bacon in a microwave by wrapping it in a paper towel then newspaper, so who knows. I agree with tree. Soaking the fish and newspaper in water for a few hours has to transfer ink and who knows what to the fish.

newspaper ink is soybased, making it non toxic. the glossy inserts or color images are another story

-bb

All that stuff leaking from the newspaper would still worry me, I think a plain paper towel could be used just as well as newspaper. Just my 2 pennys worth.

I don't buy it. I burnt a bunch of old receipts and papers to get rid of them and then then the night after cooked up some trout on said grill. That was one of the worst tasting fish that I've ever had unless you enjoy burnt paper as a spice. I then re-seasoned my pit by burning some orange wood that I had lying around and everything was back to great food. Sound like an old wives tale, kinda like throwing quail with the feathers on into the fire and whala you've got a feast on your hands.

It may work, but I would never try it. I understand grilling it directly on the embers as you want to cook it at the highest temp possible so the fish cooks quickly on the outside, but not on the inside. Then I foil the fish for a minute so the residual heat will slightly cook the inside. Since I eat a lot of fish I actually made my own will thrown hibachi's that I take out on the boat. I fill it with about 15-20 coals and let them get red hot and then heat up the grill I put on top. I lightly oil the fillet and put that on the hot grill that's well over 500. It cooks for about 30 seconds on each side then I remove and foil.

If you don't have a hibachi just get one of those charcoal starting units and put a grill on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    It may work, but I would never try it. I understand grilling it directly on the embers as you want to cook it at the highest temp possible so the fish cooks quickly on the outside, but not on the inside. Then I foil the fish for a minute so the residual heat will slightly cook the inside. Since I eat a lot of fish I actually made my own will thrown hibachi's that I take out on the boat. I fill it with about 15-20 coals and let them get red hot and then heat up the grill I put on top. I lightly oil the fillet and put that on the hot grill that's well over 500. It cooks for about 30 seconds on each side then I remove and foil.

If you don't have a hibachi just get one of those charcoal starting units and put a grill on top of that.
    You know what, that's the same method we used out in the woods when we don't have a cooking unit to play with. We normally dig a deep hole, used it as a fire pit, thow in a layer of river rocks to prevent the fire from destroying the meat, toss the filets of the fishes on top of the ultra hot rocks, and 2 minutes, we have enough filets cooked for 6 people. Cooked all around, and still as juicy as if you've slow cooked on the grill over in the oven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast