Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hikes that lead to fish in north lake tahoe

Default Hikes that lead to fish in north lake tahoe

I am going to Tahoe with my non fishing wife in late August. We always do a couple of long hikes which I don't mind but I think they would be so MUCH better if there was a lake at the end of the hike with fish in it. We have done the 5 lakeshike the last 4 or 5 years and I read there were fish there but have never caught nor seen a fish there. I know Shirley lake has some small trout and that works for me. Any other suggestions?

Pick up a copy of "Lake Tahoe's Desolation Wilderness Fishing Guide; Second Edition" by Jerome Yesavage.
    I bought a copy from Amazon for $22.50 and athough I havn't checked out any of the lakes personaly, it looks like there are some good prospects.

I would have more info. for you if you were going to South Lake Tahoe, not north. One of my brothers lives in South Lake Tahoe and we have stayed with him and fished around there on a couple of vacations in the past two years.

If it wouldn't be too far south, I think Meeks Creek and the lakes along that creek would be a good fishing area, although I have never fished there. I think that is about halfway between the north and south ends of Tahoe on the west side, and it does get into the Desolation Wilderness if you hike up there.

I will be up in south lake Tahoe this week 8-6 THRU 8-10 .I need some imfo on this area (never been there )Thanks Todd.

Todd, when we stay with my brother, we usually go to highway 89 I think it is, which is full of good trout fishing options. Roadside spots include Red Lake, Caples Lake, Silver Lake and its main inlet (Silver Fork of the American), West fork of the Carson (although I have never fished that one), Woods Lake and its outlet (either named Woods or Caples Creek depending on the map), and Kirkwood Lake (never fished there either but saw it and it looked good). Hike in spots include Caples Creek below Caples Lake, Frog Lake, and Winnemucca Lake (although I have never fished there), and many others. Most of these places have wild Brookies, Browns and Rainbows, plus stocked ones at the roadside spots. They also stock Cutthroats in Red Lake and West Carson River, and Caples and Silver Lakes have Lake Trout. We also take my little nieces fishing around there which is a blast. They actually prefer fishing in the Tahoe Keys for Bluegills since they have better catching success there.

All of this is pretty close to South Lake Tahoe.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 08-07-2011 at 09:57 PM.