Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curado 300e problems :-(

Default Curado 300e problems :-(

Lately the handle on my Curado 300e has been feeling a little stiff. When I am reeling it in, it does not feel as smooth as it used to. Upon further investigation, it has something to do with the drag. I was messing with it last night and noticed when I completely loosen the drag it would be smooth-ish again (with the drag completely off). The more I tighten the drag the harder it is to move the handle. None of the handles on my other reels feel "tight" when I button down the drag.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Doh!
    Sounds like a weird one.
    Something moved around inside the reel sounds like.

Or maybe the handle shaft bearing is being crunched for some reason. The one at the bottom of the handle shaft inside the reel under the gears?
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-19-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Cool, that goes along the lines of what I was thinking. I also think that a bearing is being crunched which is why it stiffens when I tighten the drag. Since I've never taken any reel apart I wanted to get some input before I start playing doctor.

I took it to Sav-on tackle yesterday and they told me that nothing was wrong with it but I know it's stiffer then it should be. It wasn't until later on that night that I somewhat narrowed down the problem.

Thanks TJ

I was also trying to take off the roller clutch bearing but couldn't get it to come out.

It is #3910 on the link below:
    http://schematics.planetseafishing.c...9CU300E_v1.pdf

Does anyone have any tricks for that?

Not positive dude but doesn't sound right.
    Shouldn't be hard to turn it when you crank the drag down.
    Good luck.

Thanks for your help.
    Now that I have my hands on the schematic I feel more comfortable playing doctor.

I will post my results (if any) for anyone that might have the same problem in the future!

woops my last reply was to your previous post before the schematic post.
    Usually the one way bearing is part of the housing in my Daiwas.
    I cal still take everything else off the reel without removing it and never do.

You can tell if the one way is good by rolling a shaft in it maybe.
    But sounds like you need to apply pressure to get the problem.

Shimano will fix almost anything for free if you send it to them and say the right things.

The clutch bearing should slide right out. If it does not there might be some corrosion in there that might be causing your problem. I have fixed these before and if your tightening the drag and it gets stiff usually means the bearing is bad / Drag grease is almost gone / or the washers on the under side of drag star are almost completely destroyed. Best recommendation is to take it apart and clean it completely and reassemble with it greased with PTF grease that has anti corrosion properties. Daiwa and Quantum make great grease which you can get both at SavOn. If you see any green grease spots this usually means corrosion. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast