Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome fishing in Mammoth area 7/9/11 - 7/15/11

Default Awesome fishing in Mammoth area 7/9/11 - 7/15/11

Just got back from our annual family trip up to Mammoth and I have to say it was by far the greatest fishing trip we’ve ever had, and we’ve been going for 20+ years! We stayed in a condo in Mammoth from July 9th to the 15th and the weather was perfect, still a lot of snow up there, but all lakes we wanted to fish were open except Saddlebag which they said wouldn’t open until July 21st. We covered some serious territory so onto the fish report:

Day 1 – Only had time to do some evening fishing so we first hit up the backside of Lake Mary, fishing was slow here, we only caught 1, so we bumped over to our favorite spot at Lake Mamie right when the evening bite activity went off, fish were jumping everywhere and the bite was on, caught all stockers except one small brookie. After fishing till it was literally dark, we continued our first night tradition of eating the bombest pizza in the eastern sierras at Giovannis. So good!

Day 2 – Went on 2 hikes in the mammoth area, what we thought were going to be a couple of nice leisurely hikes ended up being quite the man vs wild adventure. The higher up we hiked, the more snow and less trail we saw. If it wasn’t for people’s footsteps in the snow to follow, we wouldn’t of even known where we were going! It was by far the funnest hiking we had ever done, especially with all the sliding and snow ball fighting on the way back haha Now for the fishing, we were all able to catch for the first time 2 new species of trout, goldens and cutthroats! Best looking fish I had ever caught, all fish were released of course, I’ll let the pictures do the talking! Since I caught a rainbow and brookie the previous evening, that gave me four species of trout within 24 hours, I think that’s some sort of grand slam if you ask me!

Day 3 – We decided to do some more hiking and headed to the Little Lakes Valley out of Rock Creek. The trailhead is above 10,000 feet so we were expecting a ton of snow but surprisingly there wasn’t any snow on the trail until past Long Lake, the last ¾ mile to Gem Lakes did have a ton of snow and the trail disappears, however we were able to just follow the stream all the way to the Gem Lakes. We spent some time fishing at Mack Lake, Heart Lake, Long Lake and Gem Lakes and caught all brookies. All of them were small except this one that my mom pulled out.

We had our best luck at Long Lake where we were getting hits on just about every cast. I was hoping to catch a brown to catch the last species but no luck as I know they are in most of these lakes. Me and my brother were thinking about going up to Treasure Lakes from Gem to try for some goldens but with all the snow and the uncertainty of being able to get there, we decided to hold off until another year to try and get up there.

Day 4 – Hiked around to the backside of Convict Lake to fish the inlet. Fishing was pretty hot for us, were getting hit on almost every cast on worms and salmons eggs and caught a few on a Lip Ripperz lure as well, nothing of real size though. Once again we were hoping for a brown but no luck, so we decided to hike up the inlet stream a bit and look for some good pools but the stream was pretty much unfishable as it was rushing way too fast. In the evening we went back to Lake Mamie for some more action and it did not let us down as fishing was even hotter here and needled the stockers once again until the sun went down.

Day 5 – Woke up super early and went to our favorite spot for shore fishing at Crowley on Alligator Point. We had heard fishing has been poor here lately but decided to give it a try. We fished for about 2 hours without even a bite and without even seeing a fish jump. So we headed over to Owens and fished at Browns Campground and were able to bring in a few stockers in an hour. From here we went to Convict to eat lunch and throw our lines in. We fished just below the parking lot on the south shore. Fishing was pretty slow which was expected as it was the middle of the day, when all of a sudden I hear my brother say “uhh I think this one is kind of big, bring the net!” He caught his first ever Alpers trout!

Day 6 – Fished the June Lake loop and had an epic day! We all finally caught the brown trout we were looking for. Here’s the one I caught:

Here’s the one my brother caught:

And my dad’s which was about 20 inches!

We also caught a ton of rainbows, fishing was really hot!

Day 7 – For the last day, we were planning on going to Saddlebag, but as we were driving, my brother checked their website which said they won’t open until July 21st. So instead we kept driving past Lee Vining and went up to Virginia Lakes. Had an awesome pancake breakfast in their shop, and then got to fishing at Little Virginia Lake. The fishing was so hot here that even the fire department couldn’t put it out! We put on a clinic out there, it was a fish on every cast with bait, and we caught some on lures too. There were so many fish in that little lake it was ridiculous haha saw a few Alpers pulled in from the floattubers, and then all of a sudden my brother gets a big hit and pulled out his 2nd Alper of the trip!

We basically fished until we actually got tired of bringing them in and taking the hook out, which was the perfect way to end the trip with yet another epic day. Overall it was definitely the best fishing trip we had ever had, catching all five species of trout, a few Alpers, and some nice browns as well. Already can’t wait to go back next year!

Some beautiful trout there. With fishing like that it must of been hard to leave .
    Great pics/report .

Wow you guys looks like you had a BLAST. Wish I could have been there. Funny first fish I ever caught was a Golden Trout in Treasure Lakes. It's the one in my avatar. They are there my friends made comment how difficult they could be to catch. I ate mine for dinner as I was on a backpacking trip with very limited resources. Food, stove, tent's, sleeping bags etc all within our backpacks so I was very thankful & enjoyed it very much. Will be making a backpacking trip to Long Lake in mid Sept so wanted to say thanks for pumping me up for that & for a really cool detailed report. Peace

Good to see a report from the loop. Sounds like you did well. Im staying at june lake next week . Hopefully the fishing still good.

Looks like you all had a great trip! I am heading there next month for the first time. fishing that is. Trout is what I fish for the most.

Great report!!
    RL

Awesome report tk, one of the best I've seen on here. I'm heading up to the same area next week and your report has got me sooooo stoked!! Where and what did you catch the browns in the June Lake area on????

Awesome trip!!!! Did you actually get those nice brownies in June Lake or were you at Grant???

Nice variety of trout!

welcome to the "slam" club...and thanks for the inspiration...ill be out backpacking possibly the same country at the beginning of august, in search of my 2nd slam....if you don't mind, where'd you get the goldie at??? thanks again mang and those are some beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Love the pic's and the report
    will be up there from 7-23 to 8-1.
    Cant wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast