Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huntington Lake - 4th of July Weekend

Default Huntington Lake - 4th of July Weekend

Well this is a Western Sierra report, but figured this is a good place to put it.

Headed up to Huntington Lake for the 4th of July weekend. Rancheria Campground is closed so we had made our resservations many months ago for Catavee. The area was crowded. Seems like every year there are more and more people heading up there. We spent our time fishing various areas on shore and it was slow fishing. We managed to land a few natives on shore with lures, but had to hike way back to find them.

After the slow shore fishing we decided to rent a boat and see what action we could find on the lake. We managed to get a 16' aluminum and spent the day putting along. We caught a few Kokanee dinks here and there as well as some more of those 8-10" rainbows. After a few hours we finally lucked out and landed a 2 1/2 pound bow which was a blast to reel in. About an hour later we landed another 2 1/2 pounder. Sadly for them they became dinner.

All in all the trip was a blast and the scenery was beautiful. I honestly have not spent much time on boats and I have to say it was fun. It was the first time we tried trolling and we got two decent trout so it's enough to make me do it again. Heck I may even not use my 4lb flouro and ultralight spin gear the time round

Huntington Lake

Rancheria Falls

Some fishies...

Dinner...

Thanks for the report out of Huntington Lake.
    Nice hold over bow. Did you catch'em on troll?
    I fished there many times was alway productive.

Yeah it was on a troll in front of dam #1. We were using Thomas Bouyants and various other spoons.

Thanks for the report, dont see many from huntington. Heading up there in 3 weeks. Never have highly successful fishing trips havin gone 6 years in a row. Do you troll w lead core?

No sir... I will share my highly sophisticated method.

I start with any boat I can manage to rent. * I guess the pontoons have been booked for over 3 weeks outs so far so if you want one call ahead and reserve it.

I take my on shore 6’ ultralight rod with 4lb fluorocarbon and attach a ¼ ounce shiney something to it.

Drop it off the edge of the boat and count to 40-50.

Putt around aimlessly looking like I have some clue on what I am doing.

When I actually get hit I stand up trying my best to not flip over the dingy tossing my girlfriend and dog into the lake.

Faded,
    Glad you and g/f had a good time.
    I've been going up to that area and have fished just about everywhere there is to fish up there. Rancheria Creek, downstream from the bridge where it starts to widen out and the current slows down is a good place for both browns and rainbows. Another good spot to shore fish is across the dam at the rocky point. While walking across the dam you can see fish in the crystal clear water. Both of these places you can do very well with a fly and bubble set-up using either a streamer or size 12 Zug Bug.
    Your next trip up that way you might venture out to other lakes and creeks to fish. Take Kaiser Pass Rd. to Portal Forebay, Edison Lake, and Florence Lake. Definately have time to spend taking pics on this road. Awesome views with great scenery. Portal Forebay is just a small lake the DFG plants with rainbows, but the holdovers are of decent size to make dinner with. It also has brookies and browns, which many ppl don't know they're there. Both Edison and Florence have big fish, not to mention trophy sized brown trout. They both also have ferrys that can take you across the lake to hike, backpack, or just to fish. Both drop-off points are where rivers empty into the lakes and there's great big brown fishing and 2-5 lb rainbows.
    I could go on and on about fishing that area, 45 years worth. Wishon and Courtright Res. is another good area to camp/fish. Check out Wishon Village Campground online.
    http://www.wishonvillage.com/
    On your next trip to this area you might want to do it in June. Less ppl and better fishing, IMO. May is even better, just need to have warmer clothes with some snow still there.
    PM me if you have questions, have helped others using this site.
    TTFM

I read the same trolling book as you faded one!. We hope to make a wishon trip this year from upper billy campground where we stay, as previous years it was good there. Never fished rancheria creek; is the bridge you describe, the one you drive over just before check in?

yztim,
    Yes, that's the one. You may not think it's a creek because of the water coming from a hydro-electric plant but the name is on a sign at the bridge.
    A good trolling method that works well at all the lakes up there is the good ol' blade and crawlers set-up with leadcore down to 3 colors.
    TTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    Faded,
    Glad you and g/f had a good time.
    I've been going up to that area and have fished just about everywhere there is to fish up there. Rancheria Creek, downstream from the bridge where it starts to widen out and the current slows down is a good place for both browns and rainbows. Another good spot to shore fish is across the dam at the rocky point. While walking across the dam you can see fish in the crystal clear water. Both of these places you can do very well with a fly and bubble set-up using either a streamer or size 12 Zug Bug.
    Your next trip up that way you might venture out to other lakes and creeks to fish. Take Kaiser Pass Rd. to Portal Forebay, Edison Lake, and Florence Lake. Definately have time to spend taking pics on this road. Awesome views with great scenery. Portal Forebay is just a small lake the DFG plants with rainbows, but the holdovers are of decent size to make dinner with. It also has brookies and browns, which many ppl don't know they're there. Both Edison and Florence have big fish, not to mention trophy sized brown trout. They both also have ferrys that can take you across the lake to hike, backpack, or just to fish. Both drop-off points are where rivers empty into the lakes and there's great big brown fishing and 2-5 lb rainbows.
    I could go on and on about fishing that area, 45 years worth. Wishon and Courtright Res. is another good area to camp/fish. Check out Wishon Village Campground online.
    http://www.wishonvillage.com/
    On your next trip to this area you might want to do it in June. Less ppl and better fishing, IMO. May is even better, just need to have warmer clothes with some snow still there.
    PM me if you have questions, have helped others using this site.
    TTFM
    Got a question... Does Edison feed the power plant that feeds Huntington that then feeds Shaver lake? I was trying to figure out how it all mapped out. There was a lot of water coming in from Rancheria Falls and I assumed that pumps into Huntington.

Thanks for the pics!
    I haven't been up there in many many years.
    I'm due for a trip to Huntington and well beyond sooner than later!
    Cool fish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast