Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some what new to fishing

welcome. trout fishing is also agood option at gregory. u might wana try that.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    welcome. trout fishing is also agood option at gregory. u might wana try that.
    Thanks Mjc for the tip.

I was under the impression that trout fishing was better during the winter because of the water temps being cooler and something about oxygen levels being higher than during the summer and I do not have a boat so it would mostly be shore fishing for me.
    So would it be possible for a novice like me to catch trout from the shore during the summer?

trout fishing is good during the winter and spring, and pretty good during summer. For summer trout it depends on where your fishing, this one lake i used to fish in late june to mid july had great trout fishing. because I would go shortly after there spawn there would be thousands of baby trout by the shore and so all the adult trout would hang out close to shore with them.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

at gregory ive had the most luck at the baseball field area fishing powerbait on varied leader lengths. for catfish ther they are mostly bullheads which are small and will devour nightcrawlers on a size 6-10 baitholder hook. u ccan also get trout onthe n/c

Quote Originally Posted by Aflores View Post
    Thanks Mjc for the tip.

I was under the impression that trout fishing was better during the winter because of the water temps being cooler and something about oxygen levels being higher than during the summer and I do not have a boat so it would mostly be shore fishing for me.
    So would it be possible for a novice like me to catch trout from the shore during the summer?
    i havent been up there in like a lil over a month. i think it depends on the water temperater but i think it doesnt get that hot. the trout usually bite there most of the time. but u can got try to catch both trout and catfish. i havent tageted the catfish there yet but will some time. for the trout there use a size 18 treble hook on 2# or 4# test. for bait use rainbow or chartruese powerbait. for the cats i would use a small baitholder hook like a number 4 on 4# or 6# test. the cats there are bullheads so u dont need big line. make sure to inflate ur night crawler or use marshmallows to float it of the bottom

Just want to say thank you to everyone with your tips and knowledge going to be heading up to the lake tomorrow. Got crickets for panfish and shrimp for catfish. I changed out my line got sized 4 hooks and I will be trying out a floating rig and slip sinker rig with marshmallow.

u shood really take nightcrawlers cuz ive heard that bullheads love crawlers

As for trout fishing, if you and your daughter go to Jenk's lake, I can almost guarantee you will catch when they stock :D. Best to wait 1-3 days after though. I have taken ten groups up to Jenks and all of them have caught fish..., last month I took two and we all got 10+ fish and we left by noon or so. Gotta be in the right spot and garlic power bait or salmon peach and a 2-3' leader and light line and treble hooks are key. PM for more info and tight lines!

I'm fairly new as well and I've read a LOT of information here, on the web, books, you-tube, just about everywhere. Although it isn't the same as actually fishing just knowing and understanding what baits work with what fish and the TIMES to fish for specific species was a huge help.

In the past I would try and get bass from 11:00am - 6:00pm and would always get skunked. Then I read it's just the opposite and went from 5:00am - 11:00am and then after 6:00pm and I actually caught a few small mouth bass!!

Welcome to the site Aflores,
    As far as the kid thing. If they want to go, let them, cause when they get older they may not want to.
    I have 3 children and only 1 still fishes with me, but it is getting more sporatic.
    Enjoy the time,
    Robert
    <><

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12