Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Castaic 7/9 Finally NO Skunk!!!

Default Castaic 7/9 Finally NO Skunk!!!

Got to the lake a little before 7am, and was at the boeing line just about 7:15am. Anchored up and was determined not get skunked. Had my new rod holders, that my wife bought me from Bass Pro the day before installed and ready to go. Dropped some Chovies in about 60ft, just about 5 cranks from the bottom. And wouldn't you know in the middle of my 16 yeard old grounded, that's why she came with us fishing, daughter was complaining....BOOM!!! Bendo action. I start to play Mr. Stripey, and he gave me some tug and pull, but I was not going to lose this one after all my skunks..so, I loos up on the drag, and play for a few minutes, wife get the net and yes Sir!!! Nice 2 pounder. I satyed there for about a total of 1.5 hours, then decided to try one more spot, then look for some Blue Gill, as our son and daughter where more than being a pain!! lol But, the main thing is the Fish taco's where great even if I only got two...!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castaic7-9.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	31690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marcbg.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	31691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lexbg.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	31692

congratulations on the catch! i was wondering what your line set up was if you dont mind me asking. im planning on going there tomorrow to try at catching my first striper so any advice would help. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Got to the lake a little before 7am, and was at the boeing line just about 7:15am. Anchored up and was determined not get skunked. Had my new rod holders, that my wife bought me from Bass Pro the day before installed and ready to go. Dropped some Chovies in about 60ft, just about 5 cranks from the bottom. And wouldn't you know in the middle of my 16 yeard old grounded, that's why she came with us fishing, daughter was complaining....BOOM!!! Bendo action. I start to play Mr. Stripey, and he gave me some tug and pull, but I was not going to lose this one after all my skunks..so, I loos up on the drag, and play for a few minutes, wife get the net and yes Sir!!! Nice 2 pounder. I satyed there for about a total of 1.5 hours, then decided to try one more spot, then look for some Blue Gill, as our son and daughter where more than being a pain!! lol But, the main thing is the Fish taco's where great even if I only got two...!!

Name:	castaic7-9.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	31690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marcbg.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	31691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lexbg.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	31692

congrats on a good day at the lake. next time try leaving one line right on the bottem. and i googles up "boeing line" and all i found was this.......

Name:	787_production_line.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	31693

Fishfinder...thanks for the Grammer and fishing lesson's....lol

LOL I was at work and was trying to hurry up...I meant "BOUY" line...and to think I am a Retired Navy Chief.....lol
    Last edited by 661Bass'n; 07-11-2011 at 05:45 PM.

try flylining next time - 8 lbs test...

Just gott find active schools....many schools are to be had....active feesh are not easy to find for a while now....

Flyline will help you to locate active fish in many different zones....pay attention to the depth when you get bit i.e. the time you've allowed to drift down and the time it takes to battle the fish up....much guesswork to figure the depth but your graph should fill in the blanks....

Good work on getting on sum action...

that lake just has not kicked in full swing right now.....hopefully soon : )

congrats : )

Gary

ya, and also when I hit one the coves to fish for BG's, man the lake must be down like 4 ft at least.......but, anyhow, can't wait til next time...

thanks guys,

Alex

sorry for the humor, but i work in aerospace. i think i might spend some time in the coves looking for some gils too. how deep were the gils?

These one's were only in 5-8ft of water... meal worms 24"-36" under a bobber, occasionally used crappie nibblets as well. There isn't too many bushes or trees to fish for them with the water level dropping as much as it did. But they are there.