Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor on a kayak= DMV registration?

Default Trolling motor on a kayak= DMV registration?

Hi all, I plan on investing and keeping for a while in this hybrid type kayak called the Nucanoe; http://www.nucanoe.com/models/#coloranchor I'm having a old man thoughts of putting a trolling motor on it since it's designed for on. And so the question is, if I do plan on installing a trolling motor does it need to be registered at the DMV? Thanks in advance.

Yes

look form boat 101 on the dmv website and thats what you use to register it

sometimes DMV can be " 'tards" but insist on them doing it, ask for supervisor if needed.

-bb

Trust when I say, hold a guy to their head to register you. Since some pontoons and kayak don't come with CA Certificate of Ownerhship, you have to contact the manufacturer for one. I'm having a freaking hard time registering mine because my pontoon don't have such a thing. Just a sale receipt.

great that means I'll have an even harder time since I got mine from one of those garage sales you hear about "killer deals" but never get to one, don't even have a receipt.

It needs to be registered. Good luck, it's a pain in the butt.
    Last edited by laserbrn; 07-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.

the only thing I filled out for my dad to register his boat was the boat101 form and the reg135 both from DMV
    it was from out of state and no title or registration, no different from a paperwork point of view from your kayak/float tubes. on boat101, on the back side/second page, "statement of applicant" part b is all you seem to need. Maybe a reg256, "statement of facts", section G, and writing that you bough it for $100 at a yard sale whenever and the date you bought it. It will need to be inspected probably since it doesnt have a Hull ID Number or serial number, if it does have a serial use that for the HIN

-bb

Do what blackberg said to do, it will work.

Whats the point of registering it and giving more money to the state of California? Can you be ticketed if you are out in the sea in your kayak with a trolling motor and you don't have registration? Just wondering because tons of my buddies have kayaks and inflatable pontoons with trolling motors and fish all the time in the sea and have never had a problem. Not trying to flame just wondering the reasoning behind it thanks.

yes you can get a ticket, is it enforced, I dont know, but its just giving the popo one more reason to hassle you if you dont have it
    -bb

register under $100 bucks, not register ticket equals who knows how many 100's!!! you pick which one would you like? unless you just won the lottery I think most of us would like choice #1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast