Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 6/28/11 Tues PM trip on Nautilus, Newport Landing

Default 6/28/11 Tues PM trip on Nautilus, Newport Landing

First time on open boat party, I decided to go with Newport Landing. Since they had a half day trip that starts at 12:30 pm. Also on website had costs of renting rod, tackle, license. Trip started on time about 25-30 people fishing. My group of 3 and I had a bad spot on boat, we were on the side the entire time. They never rotated spots. Our bait was frozen squid and live anchovies. First spot we stopped at no luck, didnt see any one catch a single fish. Wasn't til third spot everyone seemed to being catch fish here and there. Mostly sand bass about 20, saw'll 1 barracuda, and 2 sheepheads. I got 2 sand bass, my friend 1, and two others nothing. We spotted up next to another fishing boat twice. Seemed like a waste of time going out from Newport if we just ended up fishing in Long Beach. Next time I go fishing I will pick a boat out of Long Beach. With an hour to go an old man hooks a 12 year old girl in the face, because he was overcasting. There was a couple of guys overcasting on boat before that happened, some not even looking behind them. She needed medical attention so we headed back, everyone on the boat got free trip. I was disappointed in trip thought we'd catch a lot more fish especially after looking at the fishing counts. The crew was great very helpful and everyone on boat was cool and easy going. Got a violent sunburn, my face looks like a cherry tomato. I hope next trip I go I will have caught fish worth posting. Finally
    O1200 hrs overcast and birds moving, puff your chest out, loose lines, one million fish and counting this year, I caught a world record fish but have dont have any pics of it, and etc...

Hi BigSerb,

Sounds like the boat had a lite load. Thanks for the info on the no rotation ..... although sometimes it's depending on what skipper is running the boat, a skippers option period and or it depends on the load. I do nothing BUT over-hand cast but not only do I always yell out 'going out' I always look back and sometimes I continue to look back as I'm actually in the casting process !! Kinda startles some when they first see how anal I am !! Right ... guys who've been on the boat with me !!

Since it happened ...... I hope the guy that did it is held responsible !! Even if the girl was running around wildly as kids do ... it's still on the caster period !!

On the travel business .... we in Long Beach travel down to the Sandbass Junction and beyond now almost every day !! Skippers just looking for the bite !!

Gotta remember .... there's lots of newbies, kids, and only occasional anglers on the boats these days !!

Sooooo whatcha gonna do with the raincheck ? j/k

JapanRon