Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Grilled Tuna and or Yellowtail

Default Grilled Tuna and or Yellowtail

Well its that time of year. So if you lucky enough to get some try out the short recipe that a chef turned me on to years ago.

Grilled Tuna or Yellowtail

Cut into chunks about 4" square by 2" thick.
    Place chunks in plastic bag with Teriyaki Marinade (not sauce), enough to coat all the chunks. Add a small spoon of Ponzu sauce and a table spoon of freshly ground ginger.
    Mix it around and place in fridge for an hour
    Start you charcoal grill and let coals get gray.
    Before setting the grill on, spray with Pam or use a paper towel with Olive oil on it and wipe the grill.
    Give the grill a little time to heat up and then place fish chunks on. Do not use a spatula, use tongs to twist and lift the fish after a few seconds of cooking. I like to do it for 2 reasons. One it keeps them from sticking and it gives them a nice cris cross pattern.
    Cook for only a couple minutes on each side. You will see the meat turn a light tan color.
    Serve hot off the grill with lemon on the side.
    The fish should not be cooked 100 % of the way through. So adjust you timing with the chef's samples as needed if you know what I mean....

Enjoy

WWO
    I've been grilling my tuna using almost the same recipe for years.
    I make my own teriyaki marinade with brown sugar, soy sauce, ground ginger, minced garlic, and wasabi...but I marinate it for half a day. Have never served it with lemon since the tuna sucks up the marinade and there's plenty of flavor.
    Served with hot steamed rice and a japanese cucumber salad, makes my mouth water just typing this !
    Recipe for cucumber salad.........
    --need either japanese cucumbers or pickling cucumbers because they hold their crunch after processing
    --half peel (leaving stripes of skin) the cux (about 3 cux per person)
    --place in a sealable bowl and add a quarter cup (per serving) of Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar (yellow and orange label sold at most grocery stores)
    --add about half teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds (sold at many grocery stores near the rice vinegar)
    --stir, seal container, and place in the fridge for a couple hours
    --drain off most of the liquid and serve with a slotted spoon
    XLNT salad with any Asian oriented meal !

TTFM

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    WWO
    I've been grilling my tuna using almost the same recipe for years.
    I make my own teriyaki marinade with brown sugar, soy sauce, ground ginger, minced garlic, and wasabi...but I marinate it for half a day. Have never served it with lemon since the tuna sucks up the marinade and there's plenty of flavor.
    Served with hot steamed rice and a japanese cucumber salad, makes my mouth water just typing this !
    Recipe for cucumber salad.........
    --need either japanese cucumbers or pickling cucumbers because they hold their crunch after processing
    --half peel (leaving stripes of skin) the cux (about 3 cux per person)
    --place in a sealable bowl and add a quarter cup (per serving) of Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar (yellow and orange label sold at most grocery stores)
    --add about half teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds (sold at many grocery stores near the rice vinegar)
    --stir, seal container, and place in the fridge for a couple hours
    --drain off most of the liquid and serve with a slotted spoon
    XLNT salad with any Asian oriented meal !

TTFM
    TTFM
    I know what you mean. My wife is from Japan and I am so use to the asian flavors to go with it I don't even think about it anymore.

Hi, Grilled Tuna has been always our recipe most of the time and I usually marinade it in barbecue sauce. On the side , we make a butter lemon sauce:)

wwo my youngest son comes over and does his magic with the tuna ,I just sit in my old mans chair and get drunk.............

I guess I'm the only one who grills my tuna foiled and stuffed with chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro with salt and pepper to taste...old school.

Quote Originally Posted by farawayquilt View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who grills my tuna foiled and stuffed with chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro with salt and pepper to taste...old school.
    You're not the only one who does it that way!!!!!

Sounds great,although I kinda like TOs method also!

Cya Tuna Vic