Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: acid/spiral wrapped rods

Red Fox:
    I didn't notice a difference until now!
    Normally my rods go in a rod holder on tube or boat or they are in the trash can rod holder at home! No rod lockers for me!!!

TDG in addtion to my last post in this thread aimed at you..
    do you also tilt your first 180* off just a bit to like 185* to keep the tip line straight or does it not matter out there since line isn't winding on to the spool from that side? See what I mean? that first 180* should be at like 185* to keep the tip guides keeping all the line straight with the blank!

I skinned 6lb density foam. The whole point is to reduce the overall weight and if you're skinning just a standard material, you're simply adding weight. It's a two part expanding foam. You shape exactly the way you would shape cork. Then slip the carbon fiber sleeving over the grip and use heat shrinking to squeeze out any excess epoxy. Then you need to refill any pits or bubbles that formed in the epoxy, sand and recoat with your clear coat. If it sounds like alot of steps, it because it is. =p Any less and you're going to end up with alot of defects that stare you in the face since it's glossy.

For the 180deg guide, i'd stuck with 180. The offset on the stripper is just to help with the levelwind. If you look at the first photo, you can clearly see it's winding slightly to the left - which means i went slightly overboard with it.

Micros for strippers only pose a problem in regards to guide height. It sits so close to the blank and makes it very difficult to keep it the line off the blank. Actually the new Airrus rods debuting at Icast uses a high frame microguide, which would solve that problem. But i'd probably end up tearing that guide straight off the rod due to the extra length.

If you're worried about friction caused by the angle the line makes or from the small diameter of the guide, take a look at your levelwind. It'll see much sharper angles and is just as small as the microguide. Some do build it with standard guide for stripper and shoot down to micros in another 1-2 guides. This is especially true with flipping/pitching sticks since it gives the angler more room to grab the line.
    Last edited by That Dang Guy; 07-12-2011 at 06:11 PM.

What kind of micros are you using?
    I think I'll give this a try on my jig/c-bait stick.

I will do this one minimalistic as it is to match my Steez.

7' spiral micros, first guided cocked off 5* or about as much as my last one. I'll try and get the SK2 parts.

I see what you are saying about the levelwind guide eye being small too. Good point!

Great info homie, thanks a million.
    Good idea to carbon skin density foam instead for weight! Using your noggin.
    I hate when all my rods scratch around a rental tub too. Boat rash is my "pet peeve".

Does line slap with a micro choke bug you or is it a non issue?
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.

The carbon skinned grip wasn't my idea, it was developed by the guys over at Rodbuilding.org. Riley's rod sells all of the parts to work on it, but it's kind of pricey. They also have a nice little tutorial. http://rileyrods.com/FC_Composite_Grips_Process.html

SK2 parts are a bit hard to come by. MudHole is the only reliable source I've found, but even the winding checks are often back-ordered.

I use K-series guides on all my rods.

If you are using it on a jig/c-rig setup, make sure you go with a braced tiptop. An unbraced guide won't stand up to the abuse of the weight slamming into it.

I haven't noticed many adverse affects from switching to micros. There are a few though. One thing that can shut down a microrod completely is debris such as shedding from cotton wood. At Barrett Lake this year, I had to stop on multiple occasions where the cotton had bunched up on the line and could not pass through the guides. I also hear freezing conditions are an issue, but I haven't been in any since fishing up at Pyramid a few years ago. The other problem most people complain about is the guides passing knots, but I believe you don't use spectra.

You shouldn't really be getting line slap with a casting rod, spinning rods are a whole different beast.

Good to meet ya down there today dood!
    Those rods you wrap are something else! Loved the carbon fiber!
    I can tell you know your stuff. (as if I couldn't already)

I actually had the opportunity to fish with one for an hour or so using 2lb test!
    Very cool stick! I may have to try something like that soon. those K series guides are crazy too! Loved it!

Time to make me some carbon minimal rods.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold back on some marbling or inlays though!
    I have all this power and feel like I have to use some. haha
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-14-2011 at 11:17 AM.

It was nice meeting ya out there. Thanks for the phone.

Rod building is addicting and it steamrolls fast. The carbon stuff is nice because it's rather unique.

AcidRod finally got some SK2's and winding checks.

Being so inexpensive we should order all the Sk2 parts to have our own stock.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345