Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: acid/spiral wrapped rods

Default acid/spiral wrapped rods

aka suicide wrap, anyone use them in freshwater or bay fishing? not sure if its even benificial in a 10-20lb rod. is 10lbs of drag enough to put torque on a rod to make it roll? The rod is going to be used for fishing 3-6in swimbaits on up to 3/4-1oz leadheads in the harbor, surf, and inshore for calicos, sandbass, and whatever else grabs my bait.

What's up vg I fish the bay mostly and us my 7' st croix it's a med power fast action with line rating a 10-18 and I've cought some big flattys on...but with a swim bait I would have to go up in size on power

Brad1

im going with a MH 1/4-1oz, not trout swimbaits, big hammers.

I have a 7 footer that the blank twisted. Wouldn't have happened if it was spiral.
    Do it to super light casting rods and heavy load rods.
    Crankbait rods too.

I'm not so sure if it's going to be beneficial or not on my jerkbait rod. But hey, I couldn't see how it will hurt it. Either way I don't jerk with the spine, I jerk to the side of it. We'll find out.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-26-2011 at 08:59 PM.

No reason not to spiral wrap a rod. Less guides means less weight, so you get closer to the blanks true performance. Also saves a bit of cost when using really high end guides.

Lol I bet it will look like a Zebco with five guides on it when it's done.

Haha id rather have more then less, sure u need less to keep the line off the rod but you still need to support the rod and its action. Ill probly wait for a heavier rod build to take full advantage of the up side.

Not really. Feel free to call up Performance Tackle if you want to talk to some guys who have built and fished acid wrapped rods for many years. They've built and fished everything down to very light dropshot casting rigs for reels like Chronarch 50mgs or Pixies up to heavy tuna sticks. They'll repeat what I said, but can go into deeper detail if you want.

Basically, there is literally no reason at all not to spiral wrap a rod from a technical rod building point of view. The only reason more factory rods aren't is that its difficult to set up for mass production, and many anglers still have a stigma against. Any rod benefits from being spiral wrapped. Nothing about supporting the rod or its action factors into it all. Less guides and weight means the blank can perform closer to its true nature. More guides does not make a rod stronger. All the strength is in the blank.

You have to tape the guides on and test the action by putting a bend in the rod with line on. Also test cast and see what goes the farthest.
    They say you don't have to lob it, just light casts in the yard with a casting plug. you should still be able to tell which configuration has the least amount of friction on the line. Move the guides around and experiment. PITA but worth it!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-26-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Just recently I picked up a down wrapped rod from performance tackle. It is the best decision I have ever made. Accuracy, distance, & sensitivity was increased in my case. I use it for both fresh and saltwater. I would highly recommend it. And the rod is super light. The one I got is tippy but with great backbone. It's sensitive enough to have fun with sunfish and strong enough to muscle in spotties & sand bass.

My buddy caught a legal Hali on his down wrapped rod yesterday (which is built identical to mine)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast