Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caught Arthur's 40 incher, and a couple other nice butts

Default Caught Arthur's 40 incher, and a couple other nice butts

The coastal waters off Ventura, and Santa Barbara finally warmed up a bit, and with that came the barries, and seabass with a vengeance this week. Wednesdays scores were 100+ seabass for Cisco's alone, not to mention the Island Spirit catching 28 big hali's on on day trip. They had fish to 50 pounds, and had over 70 fish for this week alone.

Reports along the Santa Barbara coast were good as well, and some good scores of halibut, and seabass were passed on to me from my contact group. Been trying to get Jorge out for a day on the pacific, and Sunday was decided to be that day.

We made a plan the night before, and launched at the harbor at 6:30. Ran up to Goleta pier, and found perfect 6 to 9 inch sardines, and 6 to 12 inch greenbacks for the livewell. We messed with bait making until 9:30. Then off to Naples Reef to check out the conditions.

We knew the tides today were light, and chose to bounce ball until 1, when hopefully the tide swing, coupled with the usual afternoon breeze might make for a few good drifts. I started out with a daisy chain of hoochies, and Jorge used his hoochie/sardine combo. We ran a couple lines up and back, and about 10:30, Jorge gets on the board with a nice 14 pounder. Shortly after, I switched over to a hoochie/mackeral combo, and got slammed, but fish unbuttoned. Jorge's 1st fish was hooked in the side, so when this happens, they come up "potato chippen" and make for an akward gaff job, but we handled it like butter.

Jorge misses another bite, then I just get buried on a nice one. I had a 10 inch mackeral trap hooked with a 5 inch hoochie in front. When they bite that rig, your pretty sure it's gonna be a good one, and high fives ensue after a 25 pounder hits the deck.

We made a couple more passes through the bite zone, for no more love, so put the bounce gear away, take a few pics, and set up for the drift. Amazingly, the breeze never blew much more then 5 all day. So 1st drift, clicker goes off, and another 15 pounder in the box. We made sandwiches, joked around for a bit, and kept trying for the big one. Jorge commented that the lunch disagreed with his stomach, and could we head to the barn? I'm like, shoot, it's only 2:30, but on the other hand, we've got 50 pounds of halibut in the hold already, and i could live with that, so wind in the gear, boat cleaned, fish filleted, and gear stowed in it's place at 4:30 today. My simcard on the camera was acting up, so I'll add pics when Jorge sends them to me.

Arthur has ben on a quest to catch a 40 inch Halibut since I've met him, and I tried to convince him to come with us today, but it wasn't in the cards. So, Arthur, here's to you being the next one on my boat with a doormat to catch buddy.
    Last edited by exfactor; 06-26-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: pics

Hey Mikey,
    Arthur mentioned that you were heading out. 50 pounds of fish is a very nice take for a short day.
    Looking forward to the pics,
    Robert
    <><

Nice haul exfactor
    Do you have any pictures of your hoochie/sardine rig?
    How long is the leader between the front hook and flasher?
    Thanks, Scott

camera sim card was acting up on me today. About 30" leader to 3/0 octopus hook, snelled onto the main line, then a 3/0 treble behind it. You adjust the front hook thats hooked through their bottom lip up through their nose, and take the treble, and hook it right above the anal hole mid section, and tighten the line so it stays in their side while trolling. And you don't use flashers for bouncin, only dodgers.
    Last edited by exfactor; 06-26-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add pics

Thanks for the info
    I was thinking dodger even though I wrote flasher
    Thanks again

Dang Mikey. That's very impressive.
    I am just glad you got out there. The last time we spoke on the phone I was a little worried about you.
    Well that's a great report and I bet you will have many more during the summer.

See any WSB out there?
    Bill

PS I am sure Arthur is dreaming of a 40. Heck I would like to get one that's for sure.
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 06-27-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Now if you pull one of those out of the surf, I would be even MORE impressed Mikey.
    Thanks for the invite my friend but I was on lockdown today.
    That is an awesome day out on the water and I KNOW we will have plenty of days like that out there together. Great job Jorge & Mikey!

You are indeed the "Fishing Yoda" Mikey.

I don't have to leave town for a couple of weeks, let's stay in touch and try to set something up soon.

Xlnt job on the tastey fillets.
    Just curious what depth you were bouncing at ?
    Congrats, DR

Exfactor,
    Awesome!!!! Simply awesome! Congrats.

NG

Excellent! Nice quality fishing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast