Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The quagga attacks castaic

Default The quagga attacks castaic

I have been informed that castaic ,pyramid and piru as of sept will start quagga mussel inspections...whatever..rules change we all must change too...the biggest heartbreak is that tubers will only be allowed to lauch from the east ramp ...the west side of the lake will be
    Reserved for those who rent kayaks and tubes..well to you younger guys this might not pose a problem but for me ,I can't do that much kicking in a day..there was much protest ..,there is another meeting next Tuesday if anyone wants to voice an opinion
    ..they are in the process of training and hiring inspectors..start drying out your boats

Tubes will never be the cause of the spread, totally dumb! Yes they can attach, maybe, possibly, but if they do attach to tubes they will also attach to shoes, boots, sandals (larvae) so it's just one of those stupid makes no sense rules.

Are they going to inspect every towable that people bring in the back of their truck or since swimming is allowed how many different toys could pick up the mussel's also? So tossing a tube in the back of your truck is about the same as after using a blow up and tossing it back there, no????

Dumb and dumber rules!!!

Yeah I guess they will..if they are there or not we still have to comply...maybe it won't suck as bad as we think man I liked launching from the beach and drifting down ,,,

wow I knew it would be a matter of time before they reached those lakes. the last few sacred strongholds against inspections.
    If your too busy to go fishin; YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!!!

Copy that fish ,I guess quaggas are really deadly I'm gonna go and look em up theyvsay they clog up stuff and
    Cause expensive closures

Let's just say that the more money pouring into taking care of this nuisance, there will not be any funding left in taking care of stocking your game fishes..that is, they charge you an arm and a leg for entrance fees.

I don't know why you guys would be against inspections. It's only a problem if you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing. Dry out your boats! I'm sorry, but Joe Pleasure Boater runs over to Havasue for the weekend (my neighbor for example this weekend) and he comes back and he hits castaic a few days later and BAM, quagga mussels.

The only thing that I don't understand is why wait until September and why is it taking so long in the first place? It's during this slow response that these mussels are going to be introduced anyway.

This is nothing new guys, it's all about money, they got it to spend now so there spending it, it will be a train wreck sorry but there's no other way to say it.
    For the last 3 years this has been a known threat with no real way of stopping it's spread!
    To allow people to be on there honor to keep there boats out of Castaic if they have been in waters that are known to have mussels, and that is pretty much anybody of water east if us, anyone that comes from DLV, skinner, silverwood, Perris, vail, or any of the SD lakes is knowingly bringing mussels into Castaic.
    So now everyone is going to be checked by people who should stay with there jobs as greeters at Walmart!

Quote Originally Posted by keepemlo View Post
    Copy that fish ,I guess quaggas are really deadly I'm gonna go and look em up theyvsay they clog up stuff and
    Cause expensive closures
    I wish everybody would do some research on these invasive species before complaining. If your someone other than a trout fisherman you might want to look up the research on the damage these species cause (at least we can/do stock Trout). Some of the most recent reports/research indicates up to a 30% drop in game fishes where these have invaded. SMALLMOUTH & LARGEMOUTH BASS, Walleye, Pike have all been affected (and we don't have a stocking program for these). AS a Fly Angler I have visited some of the fabled streams (back East and the Rocky Mtn West) where Trout populations has been severely curtailed/decimated from the introduction of these invasive species.

For those who do not wish or are too lazy to do the research, here's brief explanation; New Zealand Zebra Snails (bottom feeder/filter)and Quagga Mussels are filter feeders (which is good for water purification). However, the plankton/algea and insect eggs and larvea that these species feed on is also the food that all fish fry and baitfish rely on for food. And so goes the food chain, no insects,fry,baitfish=no gamefish.

Seal pointed out that inspecting JUST the tubes would seem insufficient to stop the spread and they would be correct. If they were really dedicated to attempting to limit the spread they would also inspect Waders & shoes also.

Hey Seal; Tubes CAN transport these species (just so you know).

Asian Guy; I don't know what you deem "an arm and a leg" for entrance fees. Castaic charges $11 daily for all day and $7 for launching a vessel (non-motorized), and how much do you spend for a movie, any sports game that lasts 1hr. 30 mins or more (including drinks/popcorn etc.)?
    IMO best deal in town.

btw; Dave to what $ are you talking about??? Parks and Rec, is broke. They can't even staff the lake to open for swimming (beach) all week. And if you haven't noticed the "swim beach" area is getting smaller (compared to 10 years ago)[which is good for float tube/boaters].
    Just Thurs.-Sun.

http://www.castaiclake.com/lowerlake.html

There was even some talk about what days (if any) to open the upper/lower lake (late last year during Co. budget talks).
    LW
    Last edited by Liteweight; 06-25-2011 at 03:28 AM.

btw; Dave to what $ are you talking about??? Parks and Rec, is broke. They can't even staff the lake to open for swimming (beach) all week. And if you haven't noticed the "swim beach" area is getting smaller (compared to 10 years ago)[which is good for float tube/boaters].
    The money is coming in from outside sources, that the only reason that there starting these inspections!
    Like you said the Parks and Rec's are working on a shoestring and do a great job.
    Education is the key, just make the commercial like a Beer ad and run night and day like they do for alcohol and it might gets some where, this issue has been beat to death on so many other boards, and now it's here on fnn, good thing to talk about, just not in this forum for reports.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast