Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. South O.C. Part 2... Who You Gonna Call?? GHOST BUTTSTERS!!! LOL!

Default S.W.A.T. South O.C. Part 2... Who You Gonna Call?? GHOST BUTTSTERS!!! LOL!

After receiving intel about the Commander's south O.C. slay, Jason and I knew we had to put the information to good use. After a multitude of texts that night, we all finally convinced Wingnut to join us for an encore session.

Got to the spot around 0515 to find Wingnut and Murrieta Angler (Robert) already fishing in the dark. As we were suiting up, Justin arrived on the scene, geared up, and was walking to the sand while I was still lacing up my boots. I think, "Darnit, they're all getting a head start!"

Conditions were similar to yesterday's although the surf was a bit rougher, water a little murkier, but with a lot less salad.

When we finally hit the sand, we find that Justin was already bringing something in. It looked like a big one even in the dark...

Damn, a Flat Fish of the WRONG kind, again!

Oops, sorry, looks like Wingnut cut off your head Justin.

I took a quick peek at what he caught then went straight into the water.

First cast... bendo!

I knew I had a fish on cauz I felt it wiggling and jiggling but then it suddenly stopped. Line was still tight though...? Robert tells me it probably wedged itself in some rocks and gave me some pointers in how to work him out (thanks Robert!). Moments later I'm reeling him in.

Jason with the assist

First Turd Roller from the surf!

Got slapped in the face by a couple waves but it was worth it.

This Perch was the next fish caught... then Jason came up with one a short while after.

It seemed like almost an hour where none of us even got a bite. Where were the rest of the fish?? And what happened to alllll the flatties from yesterday?

Finally, Jason hooks up with the first Flattie of the morning.

I got another dink Perch and Jason came up with an almost Legal.

Darn close!

I manage another Sandie but am starting to worry Jason's gonna beat me today.

But then... we both get shut down. Our Commander shows who reigns SUPREME.

THREE CASTS, THREE FISH!!!

He was using the larger 130 LC today... Robert said, "Go Big or Go Home!" He did NOT go home.

CAST #1

It's ok, at least you got the skunk off.

CAST #2

LOL. Nice bendo!

22 1/2" Legal!

CAST #3

You KNOW that's a good fish... look at that bendo!

There it is...

30" LEGAL!!!! Way to go!!!

Arthur owed Robert a 24" Hali... he paid him back "with interest."

The bite was definitely heating up! After a slow morning, everyone was getting bites and hooking up.

Justin with a Sandie.

Robert goes bendo... looks like he hooked a Butt... wait a second, that's Jason's butt!

Just kidding. A 23 incher! Legal, baby!!

First bite, first fish, Legal Hali. Nice job Robert!

A little side story...
    Right after Arthur's legal onslaught, I think he feels bad for me because I hadn't hooked up in a while and hadn't hooked into any flatties. So he comes over while I'm fishing and places his hand on my rod. I said, "What was that for?" He said, "You'll see." Hmmm.....

So back to fishing.

Jason hooks into another Short Hali.

Right when I was thinking Jason's got me beat, my lure gets SLAMMED and my rod doubles over.

Drag's burning, fish is taking me to the right. I know it's a good one.

Arthur and I thought it was a Legal Butt, Jason thought Bass, Robert thought Croaker... the suspense was killing us all.

One last push from the wave and I get it up onto the sand.

PB White Seabass and first from the surf!

Takes a lickin' but keeps on catchin'.

Robert and Arthur both had the feeling that someone was going to catch a ghost today. When Arthur touched my rod before... he must've let me borrow some of his good karma... his fishing mojo. Thanks buddy, I needed it.

A couple more hookups to end the day.

Arthur tells Justin to stop making pancakes.

If you're wondering why there's an LC in Arthur's mouth, here's the story:
    Shortly after his 3 casts, 3 fish, he loses his 130 metallic ayu flash minnow to some structure. He was disappointed but quickly shrugged it off with an "Oh well, it happens," and kept right on fishing.
    Hours later, while we were working our way back, Jason sees something shiny in the sand. He walks over for a closer look and low and behold, it's a 130 metallic ayu flash minnow!

Wingnut giving thanks to Poseidon's Boss.

Damn Paparazzi!

The boys.

The body count. K.I.A.'s ready for the body bags.

The walk of "Victory"

My, what big teeth you have!

"Hi, kids. My name is Mr. Butterfingers."

"This fish may look dead, but believe it or not, it magically flapped its way out of my hands and I nearly lost the darned thing right over there! Stupid fish!! "

Good fishing, good laughs, good friends, good times. Couldn't ask for a better day.

Til next time!
    Last edited by Tesserz; 06-23-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: forgot something

Default What a morning!

First of all, I want to thank you guys for talking me into making the long drive back down to hit the surf again today. I'm sure glad that I did! Even if we set all the great catches aside, it was still a funfilled morning. What a great session and like yesterday, we wrapped it all up around nine o'clock.

I was completely content to fish behind everybody today. I had a pretty decent session the previous morning, so I wanted the rest of you guys to have the same success.
    I also wanted to try something I haven't tried before. Yesterday, I was constantly being harassed by short Flatties and Perch, So, I made up my mind that I was going to only throw the bigger LC 130MR today to see if it would weed out some of the smaller fish. The results was that I got a lot fewer strikes and caught fewer fish, BUT they were a BETTER grade of fish. Hmmmmm, we may have something here...

Tess, it was fun bantering around with you in the surf this morning. You fish like a girl! A little friendly competition brings out the best in us all.
    It was nice of you to let Jason get out to an early lead and then turn on the afterburners to catch him. Congrats on that good looking White Sea Bass, now go get a legal one! I know it's just a matter of time.

Jason, for the first time, you didn't let Tess fish ahead of you very much today. The funniest moment came when Tess crossed your line and was pulling on it... I watched as you did the phantom hookset and yelled fish on! The look on your face when you realized she crossed your line was priceless. Had me rolling in the surf laughing. Gotcha!
    I guess we can call it a tie today between you two to keep the peace. At least until the next session.

Justin, what's up with the Flat Fish of the WRONG kind bro??? The first time that I met you in the surf, your rod gets snapped in half by a Shovelnose. The second time you frisco hooked a Sting Ray and this last time you got yourself a personal best Butterfly Ray. I think you're getting warmer buddy. You watch, I predict that you will shatter that 23" PB Halibut of yours very soon.

Robert, the Man, the Machine... You were on a mission today bro. You forged ahead and plowed the surf to stir them up for us. Stirred up is putting it midly. That big trough bite was insane... 30 minutes of fast & furious action. As close as it gets to being wide open in the surf, love it!
    Lets do it again soon!

Days like these don't come along very often and I'm glad that I got to experience it with my S.W.A.T. brothers and sisters. Until we meet again...

Some additional pics.

I must say that Jason & Tess make a great TEAM. She hooks and land the fish... Jason Boga Grip it, take the hook out and takes her picture. This cycle repeats itself over and over and over again all day long. She got you trained pretty well Jason.

This is awesome. Jason wade out past the first trench, Robert made a cast behind him into that trench and sticks a legal Halibut.

Nice fish Tess.

Tess trying to navigate through a trough on her way back to shore.

Nice legal Roberto!

I have to add more 130MR LC's to my arsenal.

Tess already told the story on how Jason found my lost 130 LC. But here's something kinda odd. I broke off the lure on an underwater boiler. When I reeled in the rest of my line, the last few feet of the mono was seriously frayed. When Jason found the lure and brought it back to me, it had no line attached to it.
    It washed back up to the shore perfectly clean, no bent hooks, no marks, no damage...
    As if Poseidon was saying, "Here's your lure back..."

2nd 30" Halibut this year.

Funny moment...
    As we were leaving for the morning, Robert walks down to the surf to wash the sand off his Halibut. A wave came and knocks the dead Flattie out of his hand and disappeared in the white water. We saw Robert spin around frantically looking for the fish. We heard him yell "Where the heck is the fish...?!?" I thought he was just messing with us until I saw the bewildered look on his face. We all ran down to the surf and was combing the surf for the Halibut. Tess finally found it and brought it back up to the sand... hilarious!

It was a perfect morning... until. Before you slam closed the trunk of your car, make sure that your rod isn't in the way.

Last edited by Wingnut; 06-26-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Looks like Arthur's gonna win his LC's. Settin the bar a little higher each tme!

That was one of the funnest surf outings I've ever been on. It was hilarious hearing everyone scream, "WHOOOOOOOAAAAA" every time someone got a hook up. Wish we got some video of that. Ha ha ha especially when Arthur did the fake out "WHOOOOA" I was already shaking my head thinking "Damn, another one!?". It was a slow start, but SWAT tracked down the honey hole and tore it up!

Arthur, dude you are the fricken man. It was unbelievable how you went the entire morning without a bite and the first three casts you make into the honey hole and you pull out three butts back to back. 2 Legals, one a 30 incher!!

Robert, WTG pulling it off in the end with the last minute legal. Nice job!
    BTW how the heck does a dead fish swim away from your kung-fu death grip?

Justin, it was nice fishing with you for the first time. Hope to meet up with you again during the next hot bite.

Tess, I thought I was on my road to victory. I was on a consistent bite of short butts and was getting the feeling that the next one was going to be the legal. Until of course I was unhooking another short butt and heard all the commotion of you hooking into something big.

No flatties today, but you were rewarded with a nice WSB instead. Nice job fighting the fish into submission and guiding her to shore. You handled it like a pro and you did great! I'm proud of you.
    Last edited by Jaysuuun; 06-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Awesome Report! you guys killed it out there. Tess, Congrats on the PB!!!

Fun fun fun just amazing so cool to see a lady in the surf ,wow if I could get my wife interested ...to bad halibuts don't give massages...she would be sure to come with me then...ummmmm halicabobs yeah

Unbelievable, crazy off the hook surf fishing right there.
    SWAT absolutely rule the surf fishing world.

Seriously, is that story of Wingnut touching your rod true??? That's kinda creepy.
    I'm glad that Jason didn't ask Arthur to touch HIS rod too.
    Just joking Art, don't send the Team 6 assassins after me.

Tess, Tess, Tess!!!
    You said you would let me have the lead and what do you do!?
    You get there, take the lead and first cast you get nailed...
    Just kidding Tess, you can have the lead anytime you want. That was a beautiful WSB you got today...

Jason, I didn't know you hooked 3 hali's, I was so far ahead of you guys I didn't notice.
    It was nice having breakfast with you and Tess. I almost fell asleep on the way home...

Justin, Bro get a hide-a-key! Nice job getting on some fish today, that big lagal hali will be coming your way soon...

Arthur, What can I say...4 legals in 2 days is quite impressive! That 30" WAS A BEAUTIFUL FISH AND WILL TASTE GREAT CEVICHE STYLE AND BARBEQUED THIS WEEKEND...

I had a great time with you all and look forward to hitting the sand with you all again soon...

Take Care All & God Bless You All,
    Robert
    <><

Tesserz, This is a truly awesome post!

The past few months I've been trying to get another phase of my house remodel promise completed so I can sneek down to one of the O.C. Beaches to put some of the tips two of the founding SWAT Leaders taught me and my Buddy Trolly to use..........I was close to packing up and going tomorrow but just one more day and I'll be able to get in the water.
    Your reports are so much fun to read.........almost as if I was there watching all of you enjoy the day in the surf.......Good People, Good Friends and just plain old Good Times!

I've been showing my wife your reports and how you and Jason have such a great time as the first SWAT Couple hinting to her that she might like to try it out........Well, we'll see

Congratulations on the WSB and keep the Fun and Positive reports coming!

The attack on the enemy this week have been relentless.. Way to keep the pressure on them gusys. Also congradulations to Tess on yet another new personal best and the only WSB of the day.... Hope to fish with you all soon.

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 06-24-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast