Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float tube for a big guy?

Default Float tube for a big guy?

My 31 yr. old son wants to start 'tubing with me, but he is a big fella, about 275 lbs or so. Is there a float tube that anyone knows of that he can use safely?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    My 31 yr. old son wants to start 'tubing with me, but he is a big fella, about 275 lbs or so. Is there a float tube that anyone knows of that he can use safely?
    Try the Outcast "Fat Cat", rated load capacity 300#;
    http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...ault.aspx?id=2
    or the "Prowler" series by Outcast, rated load capacity 325#;
    http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/...ault.aspx?id=6
    these are made of heavier materials and Urethane bladders instead of vinyl (as in the Fish Cat series)
    or you can opt for a 'toon or a Kayak.
    Check ebay or CL for deals on any of these items.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I have a 6 ft Dave Scadden Escape that has a foot bar, oars, and a weight capacity of 600#.
    IMO, it's the best fishing inflatable out there. If you look in the ads I have on this board under float tubes and classified ad section, you can see what it looks like.

The ODC420 has a 300 lb. capacity. I use one, and my weight is 235. It has lots of storage and a heavy duty outer cover.

fishmounter...lots of options out there for you to choose from. Like what liteweight and vortec suggested. Both the ODC and Outcast tubes are very nice and ride well. I personally use a caddis Nav II, I am 6'2" and 300lbs. I like the idea of having 3 bladders...feel safer but I do ride lower in the water. If I was lighter I would most likely get either the ODC or Outcast even though my caddis tubes have been good to me.

the cumberland has a 350# rating
    Product Details

Ride high without sacrificing stability. An extratall foam seat offers improved visibility and casting range, while the hydrodynamic hull provides maximum stability and nimble tracking. The quickrelease stripping apron has a ruler for measuring your catch. Rugged 420denier nylon top with an 1,100denier PVC bottom for superior abrasion resistance. Packable with adjustable backpack straps for hiking to your favorite stillwater retreat. Customizable cushioned backrest. Punctureresistant PVC bladder. Horizontal rod holder. Two cargo pockets with double zippers and eight organizer pockets. Mesh cargo deck. Lash tabs and Drings for external gear storage. Two drink holders. Boston valve for easy inflation/deflation. Assembled size: 56"L x 47"W x 171/2"H. Weight: 18 lbs.Weight capacity: 350 lbs. Color: Apple Green/Olive.
    #

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdick99 View Post
    the cumberland has a 350# rating
    Product Details

Ride high without sacrificing stability. An extratall foam seat offers improved visibility and casting range, while the hydrodynamic hull provides maximum stability and nimble tracking. The quickrelease stripping apron has a ruler for measuring your catch. Rugged 420denier nylon top with an 1,100denier PVC bottom for superior abrasion resistance. Packable with adjustable backpack straps for hiking to your favorite stillwater retreat. Customizable cushioned backrest. Punctureresistant PVC bladder. Horizontal rod holder. Two cargo pockets with double zippers and eight organizer pockets. Mesh cargo deck. Lash tabs and Drings for external gear storage. Two drink holders. Boston valve for easy inflation/deflation. Assembled size: 56"L x 47"W x 171/2"H. Weight: 18 lbs.Weight capacity: 350 lbs. Color: Apple Green/Olive.
    #
    This looks like a nice tube but be fore-warnned! I had this tube and the togiak and both were nice for the first 2 or 3 trips. They are CHEAP China knock-offs of the ODC and Outcast that use the cheapest materials for the outer skin of the tube....within the first month the outer skin started to shred. For the $$$ they want for this tube, $189 I would just go with the Caddis Nav II for $159 plus a better warranty.

I have the Super Fat Cat and it is the best Tube I have ever had. I have owned just about every tube out there:

Fish Cat 4

Nice boat but I didn't like the foam seats especially for hiking. Storage room is ample. Rides nice in the water.

Togiak

Super light and great for hiking and that's about where the good stuff ends. The valves are the worst of the bunch bar none. I had problems with one of the bladders after about 7 trips. I treat my stuff good and deflate about 2/3rds of the way after using so there should have been no problems with the bladder. Material sun bleached after the first 2 uses and went from a bright orange to a transparent orange. Yellow turned whitish. This boat also has foam inserts for the seat bottom which keeps you sitting high out of the water but isn't the most stable thing in the water. Much better tubes for a few more dollars if you are on a budget.

Super Fat Cat

I have also owned the ODC 420 and a couple of Caddis tubes. The Super Fat Cat is by far the best of the bunch. It has a Summit Valve instead of the Boston valves (the togiak comes with the worst valves of any of them), the seat and rest inflate and most of all it is comfy. It is bigger then any of Outcasts offerings and suits bigger guys well. I am not a big guy but I weigh around 220 and this tube handles that and begs for more. This is the last tube I will ever buy for myself barring something happening to this one. Storage room in this thing is much more then anything else out there except for the Prowler. I can fit my waders and boots in the storage pockets along with my tackle, reels, camera and snacks.

ODC 420 was a stiff ride. Hard foam inserts for the seat back and bottom and designed essentially the same as the FC4 but never felt as good as the FC4. I'm also not a fan of the grey PVC bottom with that blue. This boat isn't a slouch though either and will perform well just wasn't the most comfortable in the water for me.
    Last edited by AngryAgent; 06-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.