Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a Surf Fishing Mentor...

no just some guy i gave some good advice to that decided to crack on me lol.

There's a guy named Bill Varney who puts on surf fishing seminars (free) in conjunction with the DFG at state parks.....you just pay parking. Seminar dates are posted at www.fishthesurf.com. Attendance is limited, so best to sign up early.
    I took the seminar when I started surf fishing again with light tackle, and it was good, but wish he had spent a little more time discussing what structure to look for. But, if you think about it, it's pretty much like freshwater.......double-breaking waves indicate a trough between the two breaks where the critters hang out, edges of riptides, etc. Structure and timing your fishing with a moving tide are the two most important things to look for. If they're there, they'll pretty much eat anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    There's a guy named Bill Varney who puts on surf fishing seminars (free) in conjunction with the DFG at state parks.....you just pay parking. Seminar dates are posted at www.fishthesurf.com. Attendance is limited, so best to sign up early.
    I took the seminar when I started surf fishing again with light tackle, and it was good, but wish he had spent a little more time discussing what structure to look for. But, if you think about it, it's pretty much like freshwater.......double-breaking waves indicate a trough between the two breaks where the critters hang out, edges of riptides, etc. Structure and timing your fishing with a moving tide are the two most important things to look for. If they're there, they'll pretty much eat anything.
    Thanks for that info Scotto.... I'll be attending that one asap.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    no just some guy i gave some good advice to that decided to crack on me lol.
    lol, Alight then... PM me about getting out Thursday. I usually get off work about 4:30 in Long Beach but I can cut out sooner in need be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12