Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TUBE VS Yak

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    Yes, I'd like proof on the Escape
    So..are you willing to purchase one, so that I can help you look for one? Or are you just like to waste my time to prove that you can spend time and effort in searching for great deals in this desperate economy? If you are serious about purchasing the boat, please, PM me your info. I'll verify your info, confirm your seriousness, and we'll continue there. Otherwise, I don't like to take any more of the forum's time and space proving a provoking point. Sorry to be head strong, but that's my nature.

I already own one. I sent you a PM

@fishtales...unless you are interested in purchasing one...its not that serious. If he found one at that price...he found one. so be it.

atleastcaught...

FYI, I own an Escape and currently have it for sale on Criagslist and this board as well as others. It's been up one week. When someone says they saw the same boat for $200-$250 when the retail price is over $700 with shipping and I have mine listed for a reasonable price, it doesn't set well with me. That's why I asked for proof. Anyone can say anything on the net and there are people who will believe it unless it is challenged. I am very knowledgeable about kayaks, pontoon boats and float tubes. I am well aware of quality as well as pricing. But $200 for a $700 high-end boat that's only been on the market around 2 years. Please!

As it turned out, Asian Guy was very cordial.

FT

I'm in the market for a float tube and was looking at the outcast prowler because I wanted something that could handle a little bit more than 250 lbs as I'm about 220. How does the dave skadden compare to that? It seems like it's bigger and can handle a lot more weight, but wouldn't all that extra floation add to drag and is it even possible to add oars to the outcast models? I'm somewhat new to lake fishing as my buddy sold his Whaler and moved up north. I enjoy camping and shore fishing so i'm just looking to take it to the next level with a float tube.

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    I'm in the market for a float tube and was looking at the outcast prowler because I wanted something that could handle a little bit more than 250 lbs as I'm about 220. How does the dave skadden compare to that? It seems like it's bigger and can handle a lot more weight, but wouldn't all that extra floation add to drag and is it even possible to add oars to the outcast models? I'm somewhat new to lake fishing as my buddy sold his Whaler and moved up north. I enjoy camping and shore fishing so i'm just looking to take it to the next level with a float tube.
    If you are new to tubing don't get anything that will set you back hundreds of dollars, what the heck. Get your self an ODC or Fat Cat. The ODC can handle 220 lb easy that is what I weight and I am 6'-1". You can get a tube, fins and waders for around $199.00. Now once you get going and if you like tubing by next year then dump $700.00 on some overly priced float tube but for starts why?

Everyone is an expert until they have to pony up serious doe, then all the talk is what a great deal, I would get that if I had the cash. What BS. Get a cheap tube to start and go fishing this weekend. Or not and keep saying I can't wait to get my 700.00 float tube.

Quote Originally Posted by LBSea View Post
    If you are new to tubing don't get anything that will set you back hundreds of dollars, what the heck. Get your self an ODC or Fat Cat. The ODC can handle 220 lb easy that is what I weight and I am 6'-1". You can get a tube, fins and waders for around $199.00. Now once you get going and if you like tubing by next year then dump $700.00 on some overly priced float tube but for starts why?

Everyone is an expert until they have to pony up serious doe, then all the talk is what a great deal, I would get that if I had the cash. What BS. Get a cheap tube to start and go fishing this weekend. Or not and keep saying I can't wait to get my 700.00 float tube.
    Such a true statement. Stick with something cheap, and then promote to something big. Same as I. I start out on old model tubes..and then slowly promote to the big boy's toy, after experiencing the pains and the fun of just floating in the water with your fins..legs..and lots and lots of cramps. Hey, to each his/her own. If your bank account is nice and big, go for it. If not, go with the poor man's account: 2nd and 3rd hand stores

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    The Scadden's weight capacity is 600#. It is 6 ft long by 48 inches wide. It weighs 22 lbs. I took it out to Irvine and I didn't notice any drag. I bought the LiteSpeed oars with the boat and I outdistanced a guy who was next to me in a regular boat, trolling. BUT I am keeping the upgraded oars. The standard oars should do just fine.

The outcast prowler is a good tube, well made but so is the ODC420. I've heard complaints about the Prowler being too heavy. My beef with the ODC420 tube was that I kept feeling like I was sliding off the seat so I'd have to adjust myself back into the seat. I also didn't like the rather small side pockets. I sold it 'cause I really wanted to Scadden boat but I settled for less because of the cost. I am not new to fishing, float tubing, kayakfishing, or pontooning. BUT since you are new, The Asian Guy has some good points. Namely, getting a tube and going fishing. I would NOT recommend you get a round tube, though. They are not easy to enter or exit from with fins on.

I would get the best set up you can afford, buy it used if possible, so if you're not completely happy with it, sell it to another newbie and pass on the information you learned to him/her. It really does take experience to find out what suits you and what doesn't.

You might also consider going to www.northforkoutdoors.com and checking out the videos, the specs on the boats, etc. One great thing is it has a lifetime warranty. Dave Scadden used to design boat for Outcast before he started his own company.

Hope this helps.

FT
    Last edited by fishtales; 06-27-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

just another side note. I am also new to tubing (6/25 was my first outing in a tube). i bought a $30 dollar used tube that gets the job done. i now know what i like and dislike about the tube i own and once i am proficient ill know what im looking for in the next tube i buy.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    I would get the best set up you can afford, buy it used if possible, so if you're not completely happy with it, sell it to another newbie and pass on the information you learned to him/her.
    FT
    Is this why your selling your skadden? Your not happy with it? If so why or what is the problems. I tried out an outcast this weekend and it didn't seem heavy at all only weighing 16 lbs. The problem is I don't know if I want to kick around a lake all day long if there are other options. Although i'm a certified freediver and have a good kick stroke sitting in a chair and kicking is a whole other set of muscles being used.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast