Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TUBE VS Yak

Default TUBE VS Yak

hey yall...im trying to decide between a Togiak and a sit-on top kayak for my first watercraft. i do about 85% freshwater fishing for bass, cats, trout, stripers, etc and have never gone saltwater fishing anywhere but a pier. i drive a small 95 civic (kayak goes on the roof with foam blocks n tie downs, tube goes in the trunk) and i am a broke college student so i need something affordable to buy and maintain (float tube cheaper to buy, kayak requires no maint.?) as far as portability, versatility, cost, n overall ease of use, what do you guys think? (cost meaning...tube: tube, waders, fins. kayak: shell n paddle). im pretty mechanically savvy so im pretty sure i can figure out how to rig both boats. pleeeeeeeese help!

P.S sorry if this is a topic thats been beaten to death

I have a togiak and love it , its very compact and easy to inflate.one of the features i like about it is the backpack straps it has makes it easy to carry at the end of the day with all your tackle in it.My only knock against it is the back support is not the greatest but tolerable.I also drive a smaller car and it fits just fine and leaves plenty of room for your rods and flippers.
    I only have used it for freshwater bass fishing too and it helps when you really want to get close to docks and other stuff i a eventually going to take it out to the salt and fish the bays.It all depends on what you feel will be more practical for you like do you live in an apartment or house , will u have storage space for a kayak, will you have easy access....i hope this helps you out some good luck

BC

Quote Originally Posted by atleasticaughtabuzz View Post
    hey yall...im trying to decide between a Togiak and a sit-on top kayak for my first watercraft. i do about 85% freshwater fishing for bass, cats, trout, stripers, etc and have never gone saltwater fishing anywhere but a pier. i drive a small 95 civic (kayak goes on the roof with foam blocks n tie downs, tube goes in the trunk) and i am a broke college student so i need something affordable to buy and maintain (float tube cheaper to buy, kayak requires no maint.?) as far as portability, versatility, cost, n overall ease of use, what do you guys think? (cost meaning...tube: tube, waders, fins. kayak: shell n paddle). im pretty mechanically savvy so im pretty sure i can figure out how to rig both boats. pleeeeeeeese help!

P.S sorry if this is a topic thats been beaten to death
    I have a float tube, pontoon, "Watermaster", and a Kayak. They each have their good points.
    Just my opinion, but if you're fishing primarily freshwater you're probably better off with a float tube (I believe it's a little more versatile and a little more convienent to travel with). One of the advantages is that you can keep an eye on your rod while "trolling". Also the cost of "customizing your tube with (PVC) rod holders etc. is rather inexpensive and there are a number of threads on how to build your own here or get some ideas.
    As for the rest of the costs, as with anything it will depend on your budget (which I understand is=to "Student broke").
    Depending on what kind of waders you want to purchase this could be the second most expensive purchse after the Tube but a number of members here have found some good prices and sales on these. Suggestion is to keep an eye out on the threads for some help. My suggestion is to check www.SierraTradingPost.com you might find anything from waders to swim fins {I found my Patagonia Watermaster Light waders (normaly $289ea)for $99} and I bought 2. Great warm weather waders. As for fins any cheap swim fins will work in a pinch until you get more $ to upgrade. As for maintenance there basicly is none (except cleaning/rinsing/drying after each outing to prevent mold and possible transporting of any invasive species).

For all around versatility I do "Love" my Watermaster, because it packs away into it's own backpack complete with oars pump and any accessories I care to bring along and I can Kick or paddle and cover alot of water because of the oars. On top of everything else I feel completely comfortable fishing inshore harbors. However the cost of one of these is prohibitive so I need not expound on this further.

Although I love my Kayak, the one drawback is it's weight and portability. There is an unexpected cost to owning a kayak that is not discussed very often...accessories. If you don't get a seat you like or if the yak comes with one that's not by choice, you can end up spending another $150+ for a "good" quality seat [like the Seairsport Pacific Angler I just bought with a group order for $125+tx (normally $179+tx). Then there are paddles. I have a Bending Branches Glide Paddle which retails for $125+ and I'm trying to save for a Werner Kaliste or AT Fishstick Paddle either of which cost over $350, and you'll find a good set of ergonomic oars like those are very expensive (even more than a used Kayak) and you will very rarely find these on CL or Ebay. On some of the Kayak forums I've participated on the overall consensus is that once people buy one of these, unless they are getting out of kayaking altogether they would never part with them. So you see even a Kayak will have extra costs that you may not nave planned on after the initial purchase.

I hope this is some help to you,
    remember this is just my opinion/
    LW

BassinChef, right now i do live in a house with storage space in the garage, however i do move around every once in a while...

Liteweight. from what you describe, a tube does seem much more practical...

Thanks guys! any other tips? on choosin the right tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinChef View Post
    I have a togiak and love it , its very compact and easy to inflate.one of the features i like about it is the backpack straps it has makes it easy to carry at the end of the day with all your tackle in it.My only knock against it is the back support is not the greatest but tolerable.I also drive a smaller car and it fits just fine and leaves plenty of room for your rods and flippers.
    I only have used it for freshwater bass fishing too and it helps when you really want to get close to docks and other stuff i a eventually going to take it out to the salt and fish the bays.It all depends on what you feel will be more practical for you like do you live in an apartment or house , will u have storage space for a kayak, will you have easy access....i hope this helps you out some good luck

BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    I have a float tube, pontoon, "Watermaster", and a Kayak. They each have their good points.
    Just my opinion, but if you're fishing primarily freshwater you're probably better off with a float tube (I believe it's a little more versatile and a little more convienent to travel with). One of the advantages is that you can keep an eye on your rod while "trolling". Also the cost of "customizing your tube with (PVC) rod holders etc. is rather inexpensive and there are a number of threads on how to build your own here or get some ideas.
    As for the rest of the costs, as with anything it will depend on your budget (which I understand is=to "Student broke").
    Depending on what kind of waders you want to purchase this could be the second most expensive purchse after the Tube but a number of members here have found some good prices and sales on these. Suggestion is to keep an eye out on the threads for some help. My suggestion is to check www.SierraTradingPost.com you might find anything from waders to swim fins {I found my Patagonia Watermaster Light waders (normaly $289ea)for $99} and I bought 2. Great warm weather waders. As for fins any cheap swim fins will work in a pinch until you get more $ to upgrade. As for maintenance there basicly is none (except cleaning/rinsing/drying after each outing to prevent mold and possible transporting of any invasive species).

For all around versatility I do "Love" my Watermaster, because it packs away into it's own backpack complete with oars pump and any accessories I care to bring along and I can Kick or paddle and cover alot of water because of the oars. On top of everything else I feel completely comfortable fishing inshore harbors. However the cost of one of these is prohibitive so I need not expound on this further.

Although I love my Kayak, the one drawback is it's weight and portability. There is an unexpected cost to owning a kayak that is not discussed very often...accessories. If you don't get a seat you like or if the yak comes with one that's not by choice, you can end up spending another $150+ for a "good" quality seat [like the Seairsport Pacific Angler I just bought with a group order for $125+tx (normally $179+tx). Then there are paddles. I have a Bending Branches Glide Paddle which retails for $125+ and I'm trying to save for a Werner Kaliste or AT Fishstick Paddle either of which cost over $350, and you'll find a good set of ergonomic oars like those are very expensive (even more than a used Kayak) and you will very rarely find these on CL or Ebay. On some of the Kayak forums I've participated on the overall consensus is that once people buy one of these, unless they are getting out of kayaking altogether they would never part with them. So you see even a Kayak will have extra costs that you may not nave planned on after the initial purchase.

I hope this is some help to you,
    remember this is just my opinion/
    LW

I went from a float tube to a kayak and I wish I had kept my float tube as a backup. I prefer my kayak because of the ability to troll and also I can head out on the open ocean not just the harbors. But there are times when the wind is up and I wish I had my float tube to just chill in a cove and not have the burden of lugging the yak around. Dicks sporting goods sells decent kayaks with mutiple rod holders and seat included often times for about $500.00. No easy answer to your question just a matter of preference.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150fishn View Post
    I went from a float tube to a kayak and I wish I had kept my float tube as a backup. I prefer my kayak because of the ability to troll and also I can head out on the open ocean not just the harbors. But there are times when the wind is up and I wish I had my float tube to just chill in a cove and not have the burden of lugging the yak around. Dicks sporting goods sells decent kayaks with mutiple rod holders and seat included often times for about $500.00. No easy answer to your question just a matter of preference.
    what type of float tube did you have?
    Last edited by atleasticaughtabuzz; 06-21-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Float tube for me...alot easy to travel with and faster to get on the water with...

Fish hard

what type of float tube did you have?
    I had a fishcat 4. It was great but I do a lot of trolling and the kayak was better for this. I should of kept the float tube also.

BassinChef, right now i do live in a house with storage space in the garage, however i do move around every once in a while...

Liteweight. from what you describe, a tube does seem much more practical...

Thanks guys! any other tips? on choosin the right tube?
    I own an Outcast "Fat Cat", modified with the air seat from the Super Fat Cat. IMO the best quality tube out there but also one of the most expensive!!!
    LW.

any feedback on the Caddis Navigator II?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast