Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

I love to fish silverwood, going there later today. You guys should check the reports from there.

Quote Originally Posted by want2fishmore View Post
    Just my 2 cents. TheAsianGuy, since you're a scientist, would you be able to take a water and sediment sample and send it in for testing? Maybe this can help quell this debate and give us the truth.
    Yep. I sure can. Anyone can. If you have $2200 to do a full range of metals and bacterial testing. Don't have that on me personally However, independent studies done by the Salton Sea Authority, different university for the grad programs on sediment vs irrigation run-offs impacts, and the Regional Water Board had already been published back in 2007, 2009, and I believe there may have been in 2010. Differently concentration detected based on where the samples were taken. The safest levels are towards the Salton Sea Museum and northwest wards.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    Man your arms got to be getting tiered beating that dead horse.
    but it is fun reading your long winded replys..... Have a great day.
    Dead cow..dead horse..and definitely, a dead mind. These types of debate has gone on since 1998. All articles pulled were based on 1995 to 2003. Notice how 2004 to 2011 debates were lacking. Why? No one can prove that the lake is actually getting worst. It's actually getting better. However, consumption and water exposure warnings are still posted just for public's info. But, it's all about the "Public Bewares" campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    I love to fish silverwood, going there later today. You guys should check the reports from there.
    Silverwood is part of Region 6, Victorville Water Board. You can infact request a file reviews with the Water Board to obtain the necessary data on the lake's status. Be ready to read a nice 300 page doc

I saw Corvina that big back in the early 60's...They tasted might good then

I went to the Salton Sea 500, it was a blast to see most of the racers SINK due to the wind that day

so after all this discusion has any1 fished there lately?? hows the fishing

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Why? No one can prove that the lake is actually getting worst. It's actually getting better.
    With a lack of Fresh Water and a heavy 24/7 Flow coming in from the New River
    MOST POLLUTED RIVER IN THE NORTH AMERICA that comes from Mexico it is hard to believe it can get better. With a annual rainfall of less than 3" and the Whitewater River only lets in a little fresh water. I guess the wetland project is helping with the HEAVY METALS and ARSENIC, DDT.

FYI; Kalin Swimbaits are from Brawley. They even have a Kalin Road down there.

Al Kalin, an Imperial County farmer, gave a presentation about the New River Wetlands Project at the forum. The project is an innovative grass-roots approach by local residents that has provided varying benefits. The project aims to implement pollution control and improve the quality of water flowing from the New River.

The New River Wetlands Project has positive outcomes to report: both Mexicali (Calexico's neighbor across the border) and Imperial Valley have taken extensive measures in recent years to decrease pollutants and the efforts seem to be paying off. Not only has it reduced pollutants before water is emptied into the Salton Sea, it has provided a habitat for wildlife and opportunities for recreational activities.

http://blogs.kqed.org/ourstateofheal...er-in-america/

The climate is hot and dry, ranging from lows in the mid 30's in January to highs of 110+ in July and August (mean temperatures: low-55.0; high-89.6), with little moisture (average annual rainfall: 2.92 inches; 25 percent average relative humidity).

http://www.co.imperial.ca.us/

History

The New River that runs from Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, through Calexico, California is considered to be one of the most polluted waterways in North America. The source of the pollution is the refuse and waste from manufacturing plants operating in Mexico; agricultural chemical runoff from the area’s farm industry; and human waste form the ever-expanding population in Mexicali. The river contains a nightmare stew of about 100 biological contaminants, volatile organic compounds, heavy metals, and pesticides including: DDT, PCB, selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury. The river also holds the toxins that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid, all flowing untreated through our city; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of U.S.EPA and Cal/EPA standards. The river’s environment is in a critical condition, its noxious odor keeps people from getting too close and its toxic foam blows into the parking lot of one of our supermarkets and our downtown area. Mexicali has a population of about 1.3 million, while Calexico has about 34,000 people. On the Mexican side of the border, the river has been encased in cement tubing, while it runs open through the center of Calexico, carrying the waste of the city of Mexicali and the entire industrial/agricultural industries of the area.

http://www.calexiconewriver.com/history/

DR

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan951 View Post
    Still Toxic, also the Feds have warnings about how many ounces you can eat per week.

I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT ANYBODY WITH A HALF OF A BRAIN WOULD EAT FISH FROM THE TOXIC CESSPOOL (SALTON SEA)

PEOPLE STARTED TO AVOID THE SALTON SEA IN THE 1970'S 1980'S

YOU GUYS THAT GO THERE NEED TO PULL YOUR HEAD OUT AND WAKE UP.

GET EDUCATED AND DO NOT LISTEN TO SOME TOOTHLESS GUY AT THE SEA

THAT TELLS YOU HOW CLEAN IT IS

My wife used to get sick from the New River Odor when we lived near it.
    When I work on the Cal Energy Geo Thermal Power Plant 1/8 of a mile from the Sea
    the local fishermensaid; 'Don't fish in the Salton Sea, Too Fricken Nasty'

I wish the salton sea still had corvina, croakers, stripers, and sargo. =(

Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan951 View Post
    Still good last I heard that was last weekend. Had to order another cable when boat is ready will make another trip there and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Still Toxic, also the Feds have warnings about how many ounces you can eat per week.

I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT ANYBODY WITH A HALF OF A BRAIN WOULD EAT FISH FROM THE TOXIC CESSPOOL (SALTON SEA)

PEOPLE STARTED TO AVOID THE SALTON SEA IN THE 1970'S 1980'S

YOU GUYS THAT GO THERE NEED TO PULL YOUR HEAD OUT AND WAKE UP.

GET EDUCATED AND DO NOT LISTEN TO SOME TOOTHLESS GUY AT THE SEA

THAT TELLS YOU HOW CLEAN IT IS

My wife used to get sick from the New River Odor when we lived near it.
    When I work on the Cal Energy Geo Thermal Power Plant 1/8 of a mile from the Sea
    the local fishermensaid; 'Don't fish in the Salton Sea, Too Fricken Nasty'

since i dont eat fish i have nothing to worry about then right?? exccept the dayum heat

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast