Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

You are absolutely right in this post.. The sea is not contaminated and the die off is because of the algae blooms.. It is looking greater this year than many in the past. We have had so much rain fall that the water level is really up and the water is very clear. The algae is not that bad yet but maybe get worse quick with this heat that is on now.. Get out and enjoy the fishing.. They are tasty and big fighters..

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Hey, there's DockRat! Yay! In seriousness, it's great to have him pointing out some good points. Well, here's some counter argument, but everything have to be balanced by the readers..objectively or foolishly:

Typhoid, Colera, both can be destroyed by high heat (160°F during cooking). Further more, it can also be killed by stomach acid. However, poor handling by open sores/wounds..well, you're screwed.

Heavy metals get accumulated in the dark meat of the fish. By filleting, you'll see where to remove the residual build up of the dark meat long the backbone. 90% of the heavy metals are accumulated in the internal organs, and not muscles, unless the fishes live more than 5 years at a time.

Well, southern fish do swim north, and northern do swim south. However, the tilapia habits are normally set, and tend to feed and stay within the areas where the foods are abundant. This was fully observed at fish farms..So, best to say that the northern stay at the north, and the southern tend to stay south, unless there is a massive food shortage, which is unlikely. By the way, the southern part of the Colorado River stretch is extremely high in mercury. So, fishing at the southern end is not advised if you're against Salton Sea.

Overall, it's each to his/her own. If the water body is dangerous to fish out off, Rec1 designation would have been changed to Rec3 designation, and limit any contact of water body for any activity by U.S. EPA, or CA EPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    DR just stop wasting your time trying to educate people who don't care about their health. If guys want to come back from the Sea' and have all kinds of health issues I say let them. You tried right? I definitely learned a lot about the sea' from your posts and thank you for that.
    That is a 2way street Ifishtoolittle... I and many people I know have fished the sea for a couple decades and never had any problems or seen any 2headed fish or anything else cooky.. Free choice is the key here.. Fish it if you like it and dont if you dont.. I dont live down there and only fish it maybe 3-4 times a year. I enjoy the scenery and the fish.. I focus more on the rivers canals but I hit the sea every time as well..
    WSC

Quote Originally Posted by wetsideconnect View Post
    The sea is not contaminated and the die off is because of the algae blooms.. They are tasty and big fighters..
    Why do they have warnings and limits on human consumtion ?
    You have no idea what Mexico is dumping in the New River.
    The most contaminated river in the USA and even catches on fire is the main water supply to the Sea.
    The River has been dumping in there for a 100 years and heavy contaminates the last 50 years.
    Nobody goes in the Sea, Seaside tourist towns have gone broke and belly up. It's over.

'They are tastey'
    Please do not let your kids eat them.

Be back out there in 2 weeks broken shift cable on boat. Will fix this weekend and get back out there last time out was the only boat on the sea.

Simply amazing that people actually still fish in this cesspool and eat the fish that still survive. I guess it takes all kinds....people still pay incredible amounts of money for the privilege of killing themselves with cigarettes. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Simply amazing that people actually still fish in this cesspool and eat the fish that still survive. I guess it takes all kinds....people still pay incredible amounts of money for the privilege of killing themselves with cigarettes. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    last time out was the only boat on the sea.
    Geez, The ONLY Boat on the Sea ??? I wonder why Gump ???
    50 + Years of Dumping Heavy Metals, Pesticides, Fetilizers, Raw Sewage from Mexico Via The New River !!!

It just might have something to do with it ??? Ya Think ?

A Toxic Waterway

Calexico hugs Mexico at the tip of the Imperial Valley in the southeast corner of California, about 150 miles east of San Diego. It is a flat, desert city of about 30,000, straddled by mountains. Irrigation water from the Colorado River transforms the valley into a verdant agricultural hub.

Directly across the border is Mexicali, a sprawling metropolis of about 1 million. It's a popular location for foreign-owned factories, called maquiladoras. The New River runs through it, collecting industrial waste and agricultural runoff. The city's sewer system, overwhelmed by growth, routinely overflows into the river.
    The river presents significant health hazards, says Jose Angel of the California Water Quality Control Board, who has monitored the waterway since 1975.

"It's not a river that carries fresh water," Angel says. "It's dominated by wastewater, indicated by the high levels of coliform bacteria, which are measured there in the millions (per milliliter of water). Around 400 is considered the upper level of safe."

High levels of coliform bacteria, Angel says, are indicators of the presence of bacterial and viral diseases, including typhoid fever. "It seems like a miracle to me that we haven't had an outbreak of something," he says.

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/salton/NewRToxicPathtoUSA.html

DR

Man your arms got to be getting tiered beating that dead horse.
    but it is fun reading your long winded replys..... Have a great day.

Just my 2 cents. TheAsianGuy, since you're a scientist, would you be able to take a water and sediment sample and send it in for testing? Maybe this can help quell this debate and give us the truth.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast