Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

Are there still Corvina in the Salton Sea?

The corvinas are like Loch Ness monsters. Very very hard to find, and even rarer to catch. But they are still in there..somewhere. A few got fished out. Hopefully they got put back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    Are there still Corvina in the Salton Sea?
    Gone in the 90's
    Too salty. 30% more salty than the ocean. Which is good for killing disease, bacteria and raw sewage (human waste) Too bad it doesn't eat all the heavy metals, arsenic, mercury that Mexico dumps in the New River.

Most hopes of tourism vanished in the 70's 80's when the word got out about the polluted water. Now it's all about Farming, Cattle, Border Patrol, Prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post

Typhoid, Colera, both can be destroyed by high heat (160°F during cooking). Further more, it can also be killed by stomach acid. However, poor handling by open sores/wounds..well, you're screwed.

Heavy metals get accumulated in the dark meat of the fish. By filleting, you'll see where to remove the residual build up of the dark meat long the backbone. 90% of the heavy metals are accumulated in the internal organs, and not muscles, unless the fishes live more than 5 years at a time.

Overall, it's each to his/her own. If the water body is dangerous to fish out off, Rec1 designation would have been changed to Rec3 designation, and limit any contact of water body for any activity by U.S. EPA, or CA EPA.
    I can't believe you guys still recommend fishing there.

limit any contact of water body for any activity by U.S. EPA, or CA EPA

Then Fisher says locals say it's 'Safe to Eat'

3 1/2 years there and my co-workers at the Geo Thermal power plant in Calipatria and other locals I worked with say it is nasty. Worked on the Hospital Pioneer Memorial in Brawley fo 2 1/2 years with lots of locals, they don't fish it either.

They fish the canals, All American, Highline, Central Main ect.

Yah Whatever. Go Get Staff Infection, liver damage.
    DR

Mannnnnnnn, Dockrat...no, no, no...you got it wrong...Check this out-when the new river crosses the border into Calexico, the New River is VERY bad with lots of contaminants, raw sewage, diseases, etc. BUT, as it travels north, into the Imperial Wetlands, so much of these heavy metals settle into the sediment, in serpentine(zig zag)ponds...by then, not only the metals but other contaminants are absorbed by the vegetation in and around the wetlands. When the water comes out of the wetlands and travels further north, the water is 95%(more or less cleaner....there are so many factors at work to clean the water---sunlight-----the river has a way of cleaning itself as it moves(north) I've spoken to people about it, I've done research...and yes the first thing you hear about the New River is that it's extremely bad but when it reaches the delta(into the Salton Sea)it's practically the same as the Alamo(right next door) What researchers have found is phosphates, concentrated levels of phosphates in the rivers close to the delta. AND not elevated levels of anything else(other than salt) I work here at the south shores, and have time to chech these things out.

There's absolutely nothing in the Salton Sea that will harm you...no elevated levels any kind of contaminants. I advise to not swim near drain pipes going to the Sea because the dilution process of the phosphates has not quite started.

In all the efforts of "saving" the Salton Sea, it always goes back to the Salt problem. Officials address the salt problem. If the Salton Sea gets to the point where the fish are having trouble breeding, that's when the Salton Sea will have it's real problem, because the fish are what maintains the ecosystem(well, along with other inverterbrates)..there's thousands upon thousands of birds that depend on the Salton Sea and its fish.

Now that I think about it, Mexicali has implemented their own wetlands(settling ponds) I think this began in 2004. I believe they're Primary and Secondary. So, there were no wetlands back in the 50s, 60s, or even 80s, in either, Imperial County(not that I know of)or Mexicali and people were catching fish in the Salton Sea, so people were for sure catching contaminated fish???? No, again natural processes have always been at work. The Salton Sea, unfortunately has such a bad reputation that even locals(north end Imperial County locals) think it's bad. It took me a very long time until I decided to keep the fish.

Honestly Dockrat, there's a lot of literature out there damning the Salton Sea, but then you get into the facts, and then you'll be surprised as to how safe the Salton Sea is. I would be the first one to tell visitors to not swim or fish the Sea, but I don't because there's no evidence collected throughout the decades that points to a nasty, polluted Salton Sea.

"I keep it real!" -Dave Chappelle

The way I've been rigging it up for the tilapia is....I take a one ounce weight and attach the #6 hook snell(that I make myself) right above that. Most of the time the snell slides all the way down, but it doesn't make a difference. I've seen others successfully using a half-ounce egg sinker free on their line above a swivel that has the a snell tied on--

-------------()------;/--_______________>>

I use about 1/8 of a nightcrawler to mostly cover my #6 hook. I try not to use any other hook that is any bigger or smaller thana #6. I just buy a pack of 20 #6 and make my own snells. I keep plenty handy because sometimes your rig will get caught in some rocks...

Keep Cool!

One ounce weight?!

How do you prevent that hunk of lead knocking out the tilapia on its way down?!

I take it that you need to cast 100 yards to get to them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    One ounce weight?!
    How do you prevent that hunk of lead knocking out the tilapia on its way down?!
    I take it that you need to cast 100 yards to get to them or something?
    Oh..that's funny! Knocking the fishes out before dragging them to shore for an easier time. 1/4oz egg is more than sufficient for a light test line. 1/2oz is overkill as is. Add a bobber to the rig, and it goes far. I can cast over 200 on a 1/2oz with 1/2" bobber on a 2lbs test line. All in the wrist and the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    I can't believe you guys still recommend fishing there.

Then Fisher says locals say it's 'Safe to Eat'

3 1/2 years there and my co-workers at the Geo Thermal power plant in Calipatria and other locals I worked with say it is nasty. Worked on the Hospital Pioneer Memorial in Brawley fo 2 1/2 years with lots of locals, they don't fish it either.

They fish the canals, All American, Highline, Central Main ect.

Yah Whatever. Go Get Staff Infection, liver damage.
    DR
    DR just stop wasting your time trying to educate people who don't care about their health. If guys want to come back from the Sea' and have all kinds of health issues I say let them. You tried right? I definitely learned a lot about the sea' from your posts and thank you for that.

Where does this statement come from DOCKRAT???

I want to know because I've never seen this. I'm not trying to be aggressive and disagree with you, I just want to have the facts.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast