Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing The Salton Sea

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    Yep. I sure can. Anyone can. If you have $2200 to do a full range of metals and bacterial testing. Don't have that on me personally However, independent studies done by the Salton Sea Authority, different university for the grad programs on sediment vs irrigation run-offs impacts, and the Regional Water Board had already been published back in 2007, 2009, and I believe there may have been in 2010. Differently concentration detected based on where the samples were taken. The safest levels are towards the Salton Sea Museum and northwest wards.
    C'mon, being a scientist, I know you have the hook ups to bypass the $.:)

[/QUOTE]Why? No one can prove that the lake is actually getting worst. It's actually getting better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can't prove that it's getting worse, but on the same note, you also can't prove it's getting better, right? Again, my 2 cents for the sake of debate. I have to agree that do what you want at your own risk. But those who choose to take the risk, there better not be some crying and b*tching at the sh*t they came down with. Mama told you so...

Quote Originally Posted by want2fishmore View Post
    C'mon, being a scientist, I know you have the hook ups to bypass the $.:)
    I got hook ups..but at the same time, they rather strap me to the electric chair than the green, especially in this economy downfall. It would have been easy to get that type of funding 7 years ago. After the 2004 slum, good luck. If DFG has a hard time getting its hand on the sampling money from all the big boys and girls, imagine this loner of a scientist. I may be able to scrounge up about $1100 worth for metals, but, bac-T and fecal coliforms, man, that's another $1100 right there.

Quote Originally Posted by want2fishmore View Post
    Yeah, you can't prove that it's getting worse, but on the same note, you also can't prove it's getting better, right? Again, my 2 cents for the sake of debate. I have to agree that do what you want at your own risk. But those who choose to take the risk, there better not be some crying and b*tching at the sh*t they came down with. Mama told you so...
    I actually did research on this, and had reports provided to me from 1998 to 2010. Where I save that freaking folder of electronic files is beyond me. I got only the Excel spreadsheet of the compiled data done by the Region 7 Water Board. I'll search for the folder again. 10 years of collecting data..imagine my network drive and the office space. Hoarders have nothing over me. So far, the data indicated that total selenium and salinity went down dramatically during the last Salton Sea salt extraction and disposal (The Project). Based on the reports, the following percentile was compiled in 2009:

selenium, decreased 60%
    mercury, decreased 25%
    lead, decreased 22%
    BOD (biological oxygen demand), decreased 19%
    COD (chemical oxygen demand, decreased 10%
    DDT total, decreased 55%
    PTE, decreased 51%
    arsenic, decreased 48%
    pH, risen to 10.6 (original flux between 8.9 to 10.4)
    total suspended solids, decreased 28% (due to wind churning the water constantly)
    total dissolved solids, decreased 39% (due to extraction project)
    TPH (total petroleum hydrocarbon), decreased 27%
    TOC (total organic carbon), decreased 33%
    iron, decreased 60%
    phosphorus, decreased 10%
    zinc, decreased 41%

and various other compounds tested went down..This is the reason why the Region 7 Water Board didn't continue to fund the testing at the Sea. However, they rather focus their sampling money at the crap rivers that get dumped into the Sea. The Sea is attempting to heal itself, but it requires our intervention to stop Mexico from dumping their craps into our side. Businesses in the U.S. complain about how expensive it is to operate in the U.S. and started to move to Mexico. Well, let see how well the Mexico government deal with their environmental impacts when their streams, lakes, and land start to burn for a month, killing everything from the site to the downwind areas with the toxic waste fumes. The business owners and the government may pocket tons of cash now, but it will cost hundreds of times more later to clean up their sh.t later. Take a look at China as an example. Dude, they buried a derailed train full of dead people to cover up the mess, while someone was still alive. How about their river that caught on fire due to ultra high level contaminants? Oh oh..how about the fishes and frogs are growing 5th legs, 3rd eye, and odd looking head, morphed looking bodies, bones that are warped beyond any biological feasibility.

Once again, DFG is merely indicating the Sea is contaminated from the upstream input. As someone indicated before, fish death is due to the temperature flux below the fishes tolerance level, as well as the lack of oxygen during the algae blooms. Eating the fishes are each person's self eval of awareness. Fish tissue samples were taken, and the results came back as nothing more critical than the common tuna and mussels advisory. Anyone want to challenge me on the collective data analytes, let's boogie If you guys want definite answers, ask the Salton Sea Authority reports for fish tissue sample results, and not the Sea's data themselves. The Sea's data are way too obscured from the sampling points. Fish tissues provide a better insight to the Sea's conditions.

But, once again, I'm just some lone scientist that no one listen to. The public prefer to hear the ranting and raving of the massive hysteria over the sound logic and results.

Thanks Asianguy...people can't handle the truth....good OR bad. For those who don't want to get near the Salton Sea, GREAT...a quieter place to be and dream away. THAT'S IT!!! Why argue with anyone anymore. The Sea is wide open, beautiful, amazing for recreation...everything....you think it's bad...fine...don't go, brother!!!!

No matter if South part of Calexico can smell of the New River....I'll always love it!!!!

Puro Calecia!!!!

Sooo....

That means i can resume eating my 2.5 servings of tilapia a day?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Sooo....

That means i can resume eating my 2.5 servings of tilapia a day?
    Eat all you want..detoxify with the edible clay ;)

Can't wait to go back there!

Wish i had pictures to share. Last time I was there was around May and got there around 11am. Got there and the whole spot was elbow to elbow! It took nearly about 30 mins of waiting until i was able to dip my line. Anyway, great place to fish! I was catching big ones two at a time.

Tilapias are healthy and bites were really strong.

I'd say 3.5 darkshadow!

I've heard from plenty of people that the Northend of the Salton Sea right now is not that great...sure, you'll catch many fish, but they're considerably smaller.

Here at the southend(Obsidian Butte/Black Rock) the fish are a REAL good size. The fillets are worth the trip. Some of the tilapia are up to 2+ pounds. They've been really aggressive.

I've passed by to see if I can get or give some tips to help on fishing trips....and the fishermen usually have a few tilapia already....then I tell them that sometimes if the fish aren't biting in one particular spot, go over about 100 yards or so to the rocky area...and BAM, they get one almost right away! The Salton Sea is known as one of the BEST places to fish in North America...I want to make sure people experience it for themselves.

Eat all you want..detoxify with the edible clay ;)
    Asian Guy, Is it possible that a south end Tilapia swims north ?
    Isn't it possible that a one Tilapia may be more contaminated than another one ?

I I may be able to scrounge up about $1100 worth for metals, but, bac-T and fecal coliforms,

The public prefer to hear the ranting and raving of the massive hysteria over the sound logic and results.
    Not mass hysteria but common sense.

I think they should just accept it for what it is.
    A Man Made Disaster built in 1903.
    The best alternitive is to convert it into a GIANT LANDFILL.
    But then again I don't now chit, I only worked on a Geo Thermal 1/8 mile from the sea
    and had to smell that TOXIC DUMP and listen to locals talk chit about it.

With all the great canal fishing down there, why fish Mexico's Dumping River ?
    Hopefully the Pile Worms will die and then the Tilapia to end Toxic Fishing.

Years back they had a master plan to dig a canal towards San Felipe and
    turn it into a Port.

Also don't forget that Imperial County is the poorest county in Calif.
    Alot of TWEEKERS down there. One dude fenced his property in, when he returned
    all the fence was stolen. I had bought 5 houses on 2 lots for $45,000 downtown Brawley, abandened behind City Hall. Fricken city would not release a OK for electricity till I replaced foundations on 3 of the houses. I boarded them up and installed chain link.
    After work one day I find my Rolling Gate Stolen.

Watch your back down there. Major Rip-offs.
    Safer in Mexicali. DR

Salton Sea Area Pics ;

Before;

Current;

Dockrat, you need to get the facts straight about the Salton Sea...how can anybody say, "Let it dry up...it was like that before!" Do you know what would happen to all the wildlife that depend on it, all the people in the Imperial Valley and Riverside Counties???? Did you know that 95% of California's wetlands that birds depended on are gone...and that's why the Salton Sea is SO important...Brother, I hate to insult anyone in this board...but maybe you do need to get to know the Salton Sea a bit better...You can't talk Chit about it and not know the facts....and this is putting all the fishing talk aside.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast