Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Heading to Irvine this weekend... need help.

Default Heading to Irvine this weekend... need help.

Going to be on a pontoon with a bunch of idiots that don't know a whole lot about fishing, but are fun to hang around with. I think it would be much more fun if we actually caught some fish... anyone have any advice? We would prefer not to go for catfish unless that is the only bite around.

Thanks,

Shane

drift the flats with a weight and a nightcrawler. u will get bass trout bluegill or crappie. u guys will definately catch something. use 4lb test also.

THe flats are closed this weekend. You might be able to get back there after sun down (might).

Man that sucks... any other suggestions if we are going to be there during the day and the flats are closed? Is it still feasible to troll for trout without lead core line?

Trout were still biting at 3 to 4 colors. You can add an egg sinker and swivel to get your lure down to the fish while trolling (it's worked for me). I seen a monster trout on the surface by the dam on Monday. Still lots of fishing room, just not in the flats. I'm headed down soon and will report back later on how it is with ALL the noise and such out there.
    tight lines...
    Last edited by hooks; 06-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Well, I fished for about 10 hours yesterday and didn't get a bite. I trolled several laps and fished everywhere including back in the flats after it opened up. I can only guess that everything in lake has been put off by all the noise coming out of the flats. Don't think I'll be fishin' anymore when this regatta crap is going on.
    good luck out there,
    Last edited by hooks; 06-18-2011 at 12:08 PM.

were you trolling for trout? i wonder if the dumb catfish are biting

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    Well, I fished for about 10 hours yesterday and didn't get a bite. I trolled several laps and fished everywhere including back in the flats after it opened up. I can only guess that everything in lake has been put off by all the noise coming out of the flats. Don't think I'll be fishin' anymore when this regatta crap is going on.
    good luck out there,

fished the afternoon to midnight bite last night we ended up with 1 cat (2.5-3lb) double limits for 4 on crappie and 3 trout. the fish are there if you look around for them ..

we used fresh mackrel, shrimp and mini jigs .. the shrimp didnt catch anything last night but it was the hot bait last week