Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the tilapia at Balboa OK to eat?

Default Are the tilapia at Balboa OK to eat?

I see a lot of guys fishing for tilapia at Balboa, but it seems that that lake is kinda part of a sewage treatment system. Tilapia is good eating, but I don't want to be eating them if the water is no good.

Default so you want to wake up with a new eyeball that grew on you overnight?

i highly recommend that you don't eat anything out of Balboa Park or the nearby L.A. River. too risky. even the smell of the water should be a warning.
    in city park lakes , the only safe fish to eat are anything that's stocked like the trout or catfish.i've seen people trying to take home the plecostumus' and i thought they were gonna put them in an aquarium.they guy told me they're great in soup...i was like wtf?
    there's no telling what will happen if you do.

HELLS NO!!!!! That particular lake is filled with reclaimed water which is basically treated sewage. Why would you even ask such a question, have you seen the water there? it's just plain all around NASTY!!
    Last edited by stressD; 06-16-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Down the street on Supelveda and Burbank,there is a Casco.
    no fishing license is required,no limit .
    GOOD LUCK

C&R highly suggested....fun on light line and a bobber with the kids for sure.

TD

DO NOT EAT the fish from that lake. The reason why the water smells is because the filtration system either doesn't work or is not working properly. Yes I would consider that to be sewage water. I would suggest catch and release or just don't bother fishing that lake.
    Last edited by reservoir dog; 06-17-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stressD View Post
    HELLS NO!!!!! That particular lake is filled with reclaimed water which is basically treated sewage. Why would you even ask such a question, have you seen the water there? it's just plain all around NASTY!!
    I've caught and released carp there, and I've seen lots of people seriously targeting the tilapia. I don't remember the smell, but I appreciate your advice.

hell to the no! All the herbicides, pesticides, that reclaimed water, dont eat ANYTHING from a park lake, unless it was recently stocked.

yeaaaaah....ur better off going to the market if you really wanna eat Tilapia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast