Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Island Fishing 06/13-06/15

Default Island Fishing 06/14 SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO LINK!

Webmaster hit me up last week. “Weather looks good. Same thing as last week?”
    I checked my schedule. Game on!!

Couldn’t stop thinking about the sea bass action we had last week. It would be a hard trip to beat. Our first trip to the island last week and I scored with my personal best sea bass at 66 pounds. We could only hope that this trip would be close to last weeks.

We launched out of Los Alamitos. Bought a half scoop from nachos and made our trek over to Catalina. Weather was snotty at first, but it glassed out as we got closer to the island.
    The reports have been saying Santa Barbara Island was going off and Catalina was hit or miss, but we had our eyes set on Catalina. We figured if we worked hard, we could find some biting.
    We started off at the East end and fished hard well through the night and in the early morning without any takers. By the time the sun came up we were fishing Saltaverde with still no seabass to show for it.
    We kept fishing down the island and stopped at one of our usual spots. There was no one here fishing, but the water color looked right and the conditions looked great. We anchored up and gave this spot a try. I guess we were right about the conditions because the calicos were going off! We couldn’t keep our baits in the water. I even managed to get one on a waxwing. Lol. Well we were running low on bait cause the bite was so WFO on calicos.
    Soon we were joined by the outrider and another private boater. This gave us a bit of confidence as we knew the Outrider had been doing very well. After about a half hour or so the outrider picked up and left. And we were again the only boat here.

I toss out a squid.Then about 10 seconds as my squid is dropping, I get the ever slight pick up.
    I’m on a circle hook. So I WIND WIND WIND WIND
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! FRESH ONE!!!The fish made a few good runs before coming to color. And THWUMP! Sea bass hits the deck! 22lbs!!!
    After a few minutes of hooting and hollering we decide to cook up some victory cheeseburgers with avocado. YUM. I come just for the food. The fishing is a bonus.

We then had total slack tide and nothing wanted to bite. After a couple hours passed we noticed there were some bait boiling outside the kelp line and the current had picked up a bit.

Pulled out my new flip camera and started shooting when Jeff gets picked up.
    I get great footage of line peeling off his reel. I think it’s a calico bass but when he sets the hook it instantly strips line off the reel. FRESH ONE!!!!
    I put the camera down and reel in the other lines. Looks like a larger model. We pull up anchor and get the boat a little out from the kelp line. After a few more runs I put the gaff down and sea bass comes up!
    On the scale. 35 lbs! New PB for Jeff! Congrats!
    Way to get er done!

We finished off the day trolling around for yellows again but no luck. We’ll get u soon yellows.
    Great day on the water! Water was glass the whole way in.

Blackened sea bass!! YUMMM =)
    Tight lines. Thanks for reading

here's a link to a SWEET video of the hookup of the 35 lber!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnWUuM1wHxs
    Last edited by E.A.R.G.; 06-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.

I quess i need some bananas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys are killin some nice fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

great job on the sea bass!! i will one day land one!!

So jealous. Stop making those faces.

Nice fish Jeff.

Will anyone ever beat Erics 66 lber. Finally you told us what it weighed.
    Holy Sheet 66 lber
    DR

Awesome!Cool report,that video of the hook up was great,Dynamite trip congrats.

Hi E.A.R.G.,

Congrats on a fantastic adventure.

JapanRon

Awesome job on the repeat guys !
    Back to back , do i here a three peat ??

Thanks for the report.

WSB magnet.... Sick video! Got me all pumped up...More Pls.... lol

You White Seabass-tards !

Way ta roll guys....Saweet feesh there : )

On a roll roll...back to back success cannot be beat !

Dayam Saweet !

way to stick with it and get something rolling..

Congrats !

Gary