Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San gabriel river

I agree with Kokak. These wild trout are very delicate. Its a catch and release only stream, but gut hooking its going to kill the fish.

That fish Depocs showed was by far and away the biggest. Most are fingerlings.

Also, rules and regulations from the DFG site:
    San Gabriel River, west fork and tributaries :
    From Cogswell Dam downstream to the second bridge upstream from the highway 39 bridge :
    Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
    Bag limit : 0

oh ok cool sorry i didnt know that thanks for the info guys i didnt know the regs for the sgv river im still stuck in the sierra mode...cool ill try that instead...is there flies that sink or slowly sink...any recomendations on what to buy???

A lot of people fly with regular poles using a sliding clear bobber and a leader, and honestly, I think flies would work better than eggs anyway due to how picky these fish are.

There is all types of flies. Dries are some of the most exciting and probably best for San Gabriel. Seeing a fish gulp anything topwater is really fun. Without any floatant product, most dry flies will eventually get wet enough after a few casts and begin to slowly sink.

A little variety fly pack from Walmart, Sport's Chalet, or Big Five is usually pretty cheap (3-5 dollars) and has 5-10 popular styles that will work. You will have to either get a file and shave the barbs down, or pinch with needle nose pliers.
    My favorite was the Royal Coachman. its a black fly with a red strip in the middle. Also, anything light gray would work great there.

I tied up my own to match whats around. Did up a bunch of tiny gray gnats and scuds that slay up at SGR. Headed to the sierra's this weekend, so I'm hoping to end up slaying them all there too :)

When I fish there I usually get about 8 good top top water catches, however most of them are in the 4-6 inch range. But when I fish the nice spots where the water brings the food to them I let my fly submerge, sometimes I use a very, very tiny strike indicator just so I know where my setup is. I noticed that the few fish I caught doing this, about 5 last time, were all around 6-9 inches. Just something interesting, I'm also very very new to fly fishing :).

Oh yeah, and my rod is from here www.tenkarausa.com. Tenkara is a very basic and simple Japanese style of fishing. Yeah its expensive at first, but very, very fun, and great for the San Grabriels. I have the Iwana 12'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12