Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: BBL 06-10-2011: Slow - What's up?

Default BBL 06-10-2011: Slow - What's up?

Hit the lake again for sunrise near Windy Point - Beautiful morning. Water was super calm until 8:30 when the easterlies picked up.

Worked the windy point and the mouth of grout bay without much luck. I had a few light taps on the fly and on PB under a bobber, but nothing stuck. With such calm water I worked west all the way past the west launch hoping to hit more stockers holding in the weed beds just west of the launch. Yesterday there were tons after the plant holding in some open holes surrounded by weeds.

I picked up 2 small stockers on my way west, but nothing else. Once the wind picked up I let it take me back to windy point with only a couple of light taps but no solid strikes.

Finally saw Camerone and his wife shore fishing - Hey Camerone! Nice to finally connect.

They left to go west and I relocated to Boulder Bay about 10am.

I hit a nice croppie within about 5 minutes and expected lots of lightweight croppie action. I had a number of other light taps, but no takers. Got off the water about 12.

Beautiful day, but the trout were elusive.

I think Kelster may have the ticket working the mouths of Boulder and Metcalfe bays.

Can't fish tomorrow :(

Cheers all!

Eric

Yes it was great to finally meet up with Eric wish we would of had better luck lol. We headed towards Boulder & it was fairly come a bunch of folks trying for panfish on the dock. A couple of jet skiers in the tunnel under the bridge & at that point I was craving pizza & Sierra Nevada on tap. One problem itr dosent open til 11 so we killed some time then hit up Village Pizza. Didnt catch a thing other than a slight buzz & a fat belly & that was 30 bucks. Fishing is cheaper LOL.
    Hope u enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone & I hope someone nails that 50k fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Yes it was great to finally meet up with Eric wish we would of had better luck lol. We headed towards Boulder & it was fairly come a bunch of folks trying for panfish on the dock. A couple of jet skiers in the tunnel under the bridge & at that point I was craving pizza & Sierra Nevada on tap. One problem itr dosent open til 11 so we killed some time then hit up Village Pizza. Didnt catch a thing other than a slight buzz & a fat belly & that was 30 bucks. Fishing is cheaper LOL.
    Hope u enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone & I hope someone nails that 50k fish.
    mmmmmm sierra nevada :) sounds so good right now

I got to Windy Point at 4:00pm Friday evening and the guy next to me was out on his kayak in the morning and said he saw a crazy guy out there on a blue tube throwing flies. Sorry Eric, it was anything but slow this morning, Saturday. Between 6 of us we caught 24-25 fish and farmed at least 10.

Crazy!!!!! It's great on the tube - I especially like it when the waves start rockin! ;)

Nice job, K!!!! Did you get into a boat for Saturday or were you shore-bound? Where and on what were they hitting?

Was the kayaker a white guy in his late fifties? And did he say whether he'd been catching? We chatted for a little bit - very nice guy - I don't think he'd fished BBL much. I gave a couple of suggestions and hope he was able to land some fish. There are definitely days I wish I was in a kayak - could cover more ground. Of course my problem is I probably move too much as it is - I should just pick a spot and work the hell out of it. I don't think there are too many dead spots in the lake right now - just gotta figure out what the fishies want.

The wife and I probably can't get up for the next few weekends :( but there's a slight chance I can run up late friday night and do a Saturday morning sessions on the 18th.

Cheers All - and keep the reports coming. Curious how the tournament went. Haven't yet searched for stories.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by etaggart View Post
    Crazy!!!!! It's great on the tube - I especially like it when the waves start rockin! ;)

Nice job, K!!!! Did you get into a boat for Saturday or were you shore-bound? Where and on what were they hitting?

Was the kayaker a white guy in his late fifties? And did he say whether he'd been catching? We chatted for a little bit - very nice guy - I don't think he'd fished BBL much. I gave a couple of suggestions and hope he was able to land some fish. There are definitely days I wish I was in a kayak - could cover more ground. Of course my problem is I probably move too much as it is - I should just pick a spot and work the hell out of it. I don't think there are too many dead spots in the lake right now - just gotta figure out what the fishies want.

The wife and I probably can't get up for the next few weekends :( but there's a slight chance I can run up late friday night and do a Saturday morning sessions on the 18th.

Cheers All - and keep the reports coming. Curious how the tournament went. Haven't yet searched for stories.

Eric
    I was the guy in the kayak Eric. I was paddling towards windy point when I saw some fish splashing on the surface and action on the shore. I anchored around there and fished until 12:00 for nada. People on shore were getting fish every 10 min or so. Everytime a fish splashed the surface around me I would think of you and your fly. It was a very disappointing first try at BBL for me, specially considering that the lake was stocked the day before for the weekend tourney.
    Nice talking to you at the lake. Thanks for the info.
    Serg

And I was the guy talking to Serg later when you where fishing crappie around the rock. We rented a pontoon Saturday and started trolling from Big Bear Marina. We finally found the fish on the west end of the triangle and caught 10 fish on gold needle fish and gold castmasters behind Flex-I-Trolls. The troops were getting restless and I got tired of trying to explain why we couldn't have 6+ lines out at the same time, and tired of undoing all of the tangles. They wanted to go fish Windy Point but I took them over to Boulder Bay and we anchored at the opening on the east side. We landed right on top of a school of 12"-16" fish and killed them. Challenge was 6 guys fishing two poles and keeping the tangles down to a minimum. The fish where strong fighters and kept the guys busy. When my stringer was full one of the guys pulled out one of those k-mart cheapos and tied it off to a cleat, or thought he tied it off. After loading 4 fish onto it and then going back to put a fifth on realized that it had come undone and there was 4+ pounds of trout at the bottom of the lake :(
    The bait and wait bite was PB and velvetta cheese, I caught a couple on NC's but PB and velvetta was the bait they wanted
    Last edited by Kelster; 06-12-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Thinking of going back up to BBL tomorrow (6-19) and maybe I'll try some gold needle fish. usuallly have better luck with silver.
    Last week I killed it on saturday and then sunday the bite was off....at least for me.
    I think I saw you Kelster...your boat and 6 guys at the opening of Boulder bay. I was trolling but decided just to pass that area as it was crowded.
    etaggart, I'd try going from the east side marina on north shore and working my way up to eagle point and back if your tubbing. I see tons of fish on surface in the morning in that area.

He DrePSP - Just got off the water and have to head back down the hill. Only picked up 1 today at the west end. Posting a report next. I won't be up again until maybe July 9.

Six knuckleheads on a pontoon with the top down. We sat on top of a school and did pretty good.