Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salton Sea

Sounds good. I may have to haul the entire family to the stinky shore for some fishing. Plenty of room in the freezer for them. Hope the weather don't kill us out there.

I went back out there a couple days ago.. the fish are still biting hard. Pulled out the bigger ones in the morning, but once it started getting warmer out they seemed to go into deeper water. But I was pulling smaller ones out until about 2pm. Got another cooler full, most of which are already passed out between the families. Hopefully Jim is correct about the chemical containment in his post. In the DFG book, it says to keep the intake of these fish to no more than twice a week. This is due to the selenium which Jim pointed out.

The algea is starting to bloom now. The first trip the water was pretty clear. This last trip there's green moss growing near the shoreline, and there was a red algea of some sort that drifted in later in the day. I'm going to make maybe one more trip out there, but it is getting hot out there. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen!

jayman, how is the wind doing out there? Was thinking of taking the jon boat out there and fishing just off shore get away from the moss and maybe get the bigger one's.....

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    jayman, how is the wind doing out there? Was thinking of taking the jon boat out there and fishing just off shore get away from the moss and maybe get the bigger one's.....
    There was only a slight breeze when I was out there. Was pretty nice since its starting to get pretty warm out there.

Thanks might get out there this weekend if not working.....

Continue to slay brother !!

My 1st post since moving here so be gentle.

I chose to bring my 12 year old son and his friend who never fished before to Salton Sea 2 weeks ago for one reason only - get them hooked on fishing.

We went out there in two separate times for reason talked about already in this thread. Tilapia bites hard here in the morning and then it would slowed around 11AM or so. It picks back up around 5PM and lasts all the way into the night. The 2 boys gave away 40+ fish for 2 hours of fishing in the morning and gave away over 60 fish for 3 hours of fishing in the afternoon. I made them released the ones that are less than 1/2 lb.

The best place to fish for them is over by the old jetty behind the Salton Sea Museum (I was told they are closing it down due to lack of funding and status). Use nightcrawler on a slip sinker with 1 or 2 hooks. In ther morning and late afternoon you can catch 2 at a time.

We were out yesterday for 1.5 hour and they are still biting like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
    My 1st post since moving here so be gentle.

I chose to bring my 12 year old son and his friend who never fished before to Salton Sea 2 weeks ago for one reason only - get them hooked on fishing.
    Gentle? LOL

Its pretty close to you too! Its a 2 hour drive for me! Most important, GOOD JOB on getting the little ones on a bunch of fish! The past two times I've gone with my buddy and his wife, and every time she catches a fish, all he say's is "look at her smile" I can only imagine the fun your son and friend had! Awesome!

Salton sea was my first fishing site when I moved to the U.S.. It was a great experience, and I got quite a few when I was 14. It's still a great site to catch fishes, if you don't mind the smell of course. It has that over ripened ocean air aroma..right..right?

I'll bring my family there a little later when the days slightly cool down a bit. It's a freakish 98° right now. We can barely hanging on at 92.

Do they still have cleaning stations there? I have not been there for awhile if not working Saturday I need to make a run down there before it gets to HOT....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast