Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blank supplier

Default Blank supplier

Where do you guys go for hard to find blanks?
    I called C&M and they don't have the Rainshadow IC722 I want for jerkbaits.
    They want to order it for me but I think I can do the same?
    I'm afraid to order online cause I know the mail peoples are gonna ruin something.

That blank sounds wicked for jerks at $40..

funny my old gloomis same size, rating and action was a CR722. Almost same model number?!
    Perhaps they use same mandrel size or something.

I also need to wrap a jig/c-bait stick and a 6lb d/s rod. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-07-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Can u go directly thru rainshadow?

TJ,

Who has the best blanks right now? Loomis no longer makes 'em, St Croix's are decents, i've heard good things about North Fork Composites...so many choices.

North Fork, Batson/Rainshadow, Phenix, and Lamiglas vie for the best, depending on the blank you want. Of them, I think Rainshadow provide the best performance for your $. NFC and Lamiglas really focus on the same characteristics that made Loomis rods fish the way they did (fast or ex-fast tapers with a lots of crisp tip and power). Phenix is good is you like something a little more West Coast specific like a great DS or nice 7'6" crank stick. I like St. Croix, but they are like Loomis is regards to overpricing their blanks. A II series blank shouldn't cost 80% of the same Premier series factory rod. When they roll in house like St. Croix, there is no reason why blanks should overprice. Its your components and labor hours that drive up cost in a factory rod, so IMO to charge a lot for only the blank is bogus.
    TJ, I ordered a couple blanks from Angler's Workshop. Good folks, they carry Rainshadow, and they ship their rods right in the sleeve within a PVC tube and newspaper stuffing at the ends to keep it from rattling.

Phoenix rods looked awesome in the store. Never put one through the paces.
    I have no idea on who makes the best blanks.

I've found just good ol fashioned graphite works for me. I've always liked it. Like my RC cars and helicopters.
    I'm not positive on my modulous preference. I know what powers and actions I like though.

If that IC722 is made of the same stuff I wrapped the swimstick from then I want one of those neat spiral look but if you look closer or under the finish it looks woven. $40.. then some checker cork and some winding checks and some careful sanding and minimalizations. I'm gonna use A thread on this one and maybe use a wooden reel seat to boot. someone help!

to be honest I think I saw somewhere the RX7 has glass inner core and two different types of graphite outter cores opposing each other 3 times.

Whatever the GL2 was made from is the material I'd ultimately like to match the feel of.. or beat.
    I'm sure I can make it lighter which will beat the feel by not using rod finish for one and a split grip for two.

this time I will use fuji SiC new concept guide system

On my last rod I didn't like the spongy EVA/foam butt cap but I like the butt cork. Maybe if the baits are lighter than giant swimbaits this spongy butt feeling won't be a problem. This rod will have an all cork butt grip with a thin rubber cap out of the way. I want to shape the cork like a round ball too.

PSS
    I think my mini lathe will actually handle cork grips up to 1.25" in diameter! I'll have to pull it out and try it.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Pulled the trigger on the RX7 IC722.
    Ordered online.
    Wish me luck.

G'luck lol

I have a pair of 6' Shikari blanks I love, 1 wrapped and the other in the tube still. Great rods with a flexible tip and relatively sensitive for IM6. Moreover, they cost $20 a piece lol

Mudhole is usually where i go for online orders, but they don't carry Rainshadow blanks. Haven't had a problem yet, but their shipping is generally more expensive than other places. Well there has been one issue, they never let you know when things are backordered. Usually takes them another 5-6 days to get the second package to your door.

I'm drooling over layered wooden reel seats and custom cork modulators over at mudhole now..

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Inlay-Tools

There's actually some micro guides that look pretty good too that don't have a horrible line slicing tip frame like that carrot I just broke.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.

I just order all my Batson stuff through C&M. As long as they're not backordered too bad, you should have them soon enough. Actually, my backordered butt caps should be in tomorrow.

As far as best blank, can't really beat NFC's HM blanks. Numbers are better than GLX, and lighter. As far as what I like, I am a big fan of Phenix's performance:price. Have yet to try a United Composites blank, but I will soon enough. Rainshadow rules in blank availability as well as value. Can't leave MHX out of the value category either. Got a couple Shikari blanks left somewhere, but those are MINE.

TJ, as far as hitting the GL2 mark, there really shouldn't be an issue. IMO MHX, RX8, MBX, and many other outfish GL2 by a mile.

As for a jig/c-bait stick, I'd highly recommend the Rainshadow IMB844 or Phenix 707H. Since sensitivity is absolutely crucial in DS, I'd recommend an RX8 822.5 or Phenix 700M. I'm not a huge fan of the DS, but when I do, I fish a casting 700M spiraled with a Super SOL.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast